Favourite model railway youtubers?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
JasonR

Re: Favourite model railway youtubers?

Post by JasonR »

For repairs, 00Bill and SMT Mainline are my favourite channels.

Dean Park Model Railway, SDJR7F88, Brockwell Lane, and Chadwick Model Railway are others in my favourites.
I enjoy Jenny Kirk's content too (saw her mini layout "Four Seasons" at Doncaster. Wonderful.)

I also enjoy Keith Appleton's channel. Mainly model engineering.

Sam Strains is a pillock.
In a world where you can be anything - BE KIND.

Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Jase
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

JasonR wrote: Sam Strains is a pillock.
But a respectable pillock.
I have great respect for Sam as he is brave enough to be honest. I gave up watching Jenny when I found her sales talk trying to push a lemon of a loco as if it wss a good model!
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I subscribe to DCC125 and JB railways who do very good exhibition footage, simple straightforward with no commentary which is the way I like it. I find the "influencers" to be too interested in their own self promotion so I steer clear of the likes of Sam. Just a personal choice though.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
centenary

Post by centenary »

JasonR wrote:For repairs, 00Bill and SMT Mainline are my favourite channels.

Dean Park Model Railway, SDJR7F88, Brockwell Lane, and Chadwick Model Railway are others in my favourites.
I enjoy Jenny Kirk's content too (saw her mini layout "Four Seasons" at Doncaster. Wonderful.)

I also enjoy Keith Appleton's channel. Mainly model engineering.

Sam Strains is a pillock.
Why's he a pillock? Is it because he points out the defects in models the manufacturers want you and the rest of us to pay top dollar for, no questions asked? One of the channels you mention will alert a manufacturer of defects in their sample model and allow the manufacturer to supply an alternative model, supposedly defect free and you never get to hear about the defect.
NedFlanders

Post by NedFlanders »

I'm a bit late to this show ( and in no order of favouritism) but...

Easy ones:
Everard Junction
Chadwick
Dean Park
New Junction
simons shed
( does Hornby magazine count - great layout building features)

General/Reviews:
Jenny Kirk
Sam's Trains
EuviRail
Larry Phuckett
That Model railway guy

Scenic:
Peaks 47
Dartside Scenics
tony North eastern
Chandwell
Luke Towan
Mouldy raspberry
Calgorm Hall
Cheekytek
Marklinofsweden
Trackside Scenery ( US Based)

slightly Eclectic:
Rusty Rails
Model railways unlimited ( great southern railway steam loco series amongst others - lots of great maintenance tips, really well filmed on a Model railway that reminds me of one we had a home 40 years ago)
DJ model railway ( american locomotive driver - N gauge with an awful lot ot drone footage of the real thing)

My subscription list in youtube is waaay too long. I'm sure I've missed a few.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Everard Junction probably my favourite, excellent layout and some very good modelling advice.
Mouldy Raspberry very much follows the principle of a layout through scenery. Pendon-esque.
SDJR7F88 very good for exhibition videos
New Junction, lots of ambitious projects which are interesting to see the development of.
Pendon Museum has a very interesting series of videos of the buildings modelled.
Underground Eric has some very good layout building and project videos, recently did the launch video of the Met 1 project by Rapido.
Western Signalman does some great layout build and exhibition videos.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

OOBill is my current favourite, I've found his repair videos extremely useful.
Ken
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

centenary wrote:
Why's he a pillock? Is it because he points out the defects in models the manufacturers want you and the rest of us to pay top dollar for, no questions asked?
Sorry, I'm with Jason. Running trains in the bath is a hoot "cos it's only 12v" until Little Johnny copies him and unplugs the 240v power brick with wet hands.

Wasn't he also daisy-chaining batteries together in one episode, or something equally inadvisable ?
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
centenary

Post by centenary »

stuartp wrote:
centenary wrote:
Why's he a pillock? Is it because he points out the defects in models the manufacturers want you and the rest of us to pay top dollar for, no questions asked?
Sorry, I'm with Jason. Running trains in the bath is a hoot "cos it's only 12v" until Little Johnny copies him and unplugs the 240v power brick with wet hands.

Wasn't he also daisy-chaining batteries together in one episode, or something equally inadvisable ?
I think if 'Little Johnny' is watching You Tube videos unsupervised by a parent, he'll be seeing dangerous stuff generally but hey ho.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

As an almost-non-practicing modeler (still trying to decide on the livery for the assembled Deltic) I enjoy this thread, especially the huge roster of YouTubers who video their efforts.
Armed with basic intelligence each one of us can judge the level or proficiency and make our decisions accordingly. Like watching those "I built a $100,000 corn-bottling plant in one day!" videos where the guy has all sorts of plasma-cutters, heavy-duty presses, acres of quality steel, aluminium, and enough money to install a 100 HP electric motor. Way out of my range!

Besides which, if we have any doubts there is this great site called "the NEW Railway Modellers forums" where we can ask questions about specific practices. I recommend it :twisted:

I am grateful for this topic for the roster of youtubers who I can watch in my Copious Free™ and essentially steal their good ideas and leave the others alone.
Cheers, Chris
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

centenary wrote: I think if 'Little Johnny' is watching You Tube videos unsupervised by a parent, he'll be seeing dangerous stuff generally but hey ho.
Fact.

Pretty clear the "Sam's Trains" detractors are pitifully grasping at any straw argument in seeking to rationalise a personal emotional bias. :lol: