Favourite model railway youtubers?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
InFullSteam

Favourite model railway youtubers?

Post by InFullSteam »

Back in the old days, I used to watch IC82 before he dropped off the face of the earth.

Now I watch Sam's Trains on occasion - I like him for the most part although he has his faults (I find him a bit click-baity and some of his biases shine through from time to time - cough Dapol cough).
Mountain

Re: Favourite model railway youtubers?

Post by Mountain »

I also love Sams Trains. He always adds interest though he could hae edited his things to be shorter as they can be a little lengthy. (Easier said then done though).
Not many Youtube films regarding model railways appeal to me as I get bored of scale speeds and the ultra realism side of the hobby. (Really appreciate the effort put in to achieve realism,, but to me it is not the side of the hobby that appeals to me, as I like to get my imagination to take over, and ultra realism dulls my imaginative side of my brain. Yet pictures in magazines and on sites like this one do appeal, and unusual scenes that are realistic do appeal, so I am a bit of a mix!)
I guess what does and does not appeal varies. Oddly, if I see a standard double track oval on an 8x4 board it is boring, yet if one squeezes a single track on a 5x3 board the challenge of making it run and scenically work appeals! (Not saying in the least that all 8x4 layouts are boring as it depends what one does to them, so I hope I make sense? Boring would be a standard double track oval using standard Metcalfe buildings (Excellent as they are, they got soo popular that every other layout had them!), standard static grass which every other more scenic layout had when it became popular.... In other words, I like the layouts that are different. I get bored of layouts which look like re-organized copies of each other... Not to belittle their creators as they are having fun and I love to have fun! I just love seeing the creative side of being different).
Unaltered factory made models are boring as anyone who has the cash to spend can buy them.
Yet even disasterous scratchbuilds or conversions are interesting and exciting! Who cares if they look right or not? I love to see the work of the creator who has made something special! They excite me! They are interesting! So any youtuber that scratchbuilds something different is going to excite me, especially if they can display them in a simple to see form that gets to the point without taking ages to watch! My brother made a lot of youtube films and he said the key was to shorten them to keep them interesting as one wants to draw people in and not bore them silly!
Even the most boring subjects can be made interesting by the way they are presented, which is where the skills of individual youtubers come in. Sam from Sams Trains actually being one such example when he reviews factory made models though I appreciate it if he spends less time looking at the box! :D (Though I love his interesting experiments!)
End2end

Post by End2end »

Why stop at youtube?
There's also Rumble
https://rumble.com/search/all?q=model%20railway
And Bitchute
https://www.bitchute.com/search/?query= ... kind=video
And probably more I haven't even found yet. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I'll look at Sam's Trains from time to time but I find his observations to be too subjective and lacking in "due diligence" Such as dismantling and re-assembling before performing running tests. He's young and hopefully he'll learn.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Has anybody looked at geoffrey trenholme,
I have many videos mostly used for reference to things going on here.

Geoff T.
centenary

Post by centenary »

InFullSteam wrote:Back in the old days, I used to watch IC82 before he dropped off the face of the earth.

Now I watch Sam's Trains on occasion - I like him for the most part although he has his faults (I find him a bit click-baity and some of his biases shine through from time to time - cough Dapol cough).
I often wonder if IC82 returned every one of the locos that were sent to him to run on his 'layout'!

Despite some of the bad publicity, I still love Barry's Cranworth Model Railway. jenny Kirk, Class47Peter and Sam's Trains also good viewing.

EDIT: How could I forget Charlie Bishop and his Chadwick channel and Larry Puckett?
Last edited by centenary on Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InFullSteam

Post by InFullSteam »

centenary wrote:
InFullSteam wrote:Back in the old days, I used to watch IC82 before he dropped off the face of the earth.

I often wonder if IC82 returned every one of the locos that were sent to him to run on his 'layout'!

Despite some of the bad publicity, I still love Barry's Cranworth Model Railway. jenny Kirk, Class47Peter and Sam's Trains also good viewing.
He pivoted into taking pictures of his shoes on his personal IG.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

I like Sam's reviews, the same criteria applied to every model (for the last 2 years or so), and the models are bought by him rather 'provided'. I don't agree with him about some things, but as he's consistent that can be factored out. How many others buy stuff from overseas to review, his 'El Cheapo' character throws up some surprises too! He very much more represents 'the average modeller' than those who have a room full of 'everything'. His changing motors and 3d printing mounts to fix bad running engines is, to me anyway, almost inspirational. I also like the fact he buys things because he likes them, no 'loyalty' to any period, country or railway company is refreshing.

That said, when he steps away from straight reviews things go a bit pear-shaped - his 'Best DCC Controller' video was, well, hogwash - a comparison between 2 oldish Hornby controllers and an NCE unit, ignoring the host of other suppliers, was, to be frank, a farce.
InFullSteam

Post by InFullSteam »

Richard08 wrote:

I like Sam's reviews, the same criteria applied to every model (for the last 2 years or so), and the models are bought by him rather 'provided'. I don't agree with him about some things, but as he's consistent that can be factored out. How many others buy stuff from overseas to review, his 'El Cheapo' character throws up some surprises too! He very much more represents 'the average modeller' than those who have a room full of 'everything'. His changing motors and 3d printing mounts to fix bad running engines is, to me anyway, almost inspirational. I also like the fact he buys things because he likes them, no 'loyalty' to any period, country or railway company is refreshing.

That said, when he steps away from straight reviews things go a bit pear-shaped - his 'Best DCC Controller' video was, well, hogwash - a comparison between 2 oldish Hornby controllers and an NCE unit, ignoring the host of other suppliers, was, to be frank, a farce.
He likes to beat down on Heljan though.
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

I Quite like 'Beaglington-On-Sea' but there might be some personal bias there....

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
Phred

Post by Phred »

I watch Sam's Trains and Jenny Kirk when I'm thinking of buying something and want to get a close up look at it running. I take their comments with a bit of salt.

For relaxation and a nice bit of 'slow TV' it's Geoffrey Trenholme.
mrobs2002

Post by mrobs2002 »

I have enjoyed a couple of North American layout building series - DIY & Digital Railroad building his "MRROne" layout, and The Pixel Depot building a layout he called "The Grunge". Enjoyable and informative. I'm currently planning a layout inspired by "MRROne", but using Peco rather than Kato track (because that's what I have).

There's also a Scot who does loco repairs on camera. He's quite good. OOBill maybe?

Watched one on Sam's videos, saw he was running his trains on the carpet. Decided he wasn't worth watching.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I keep an eye on Sams Trains and Jenny Kirk, but also...

Oscar Paisley - Old Triang, Hornby models
Mouldy Raspberry - Fantastic scenic layout and excellent videos
Chadwick Model Railway - Informative

I tend to use the Invidious websites or the Minitube application to access Youtube videos so I don't get all the Google added nonsense :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

I enjoy Sam's Trains. He's personable, entertaining & unpretentious.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Oh no, I don't have one. Of fun online model railway stuff, it's Steve Jones' ''Electric Nose' I truly miss.