1st layout for mr.duffin

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
davek

Re: 1st layout for mr.duffin

Post by davek »

Out of interest, where is your local shop - Footplate?
mr.duffin

Post by mr.duffin »

davek wrote:Out of interest, where is your local shop - Footplate?
Yeah I use Footplate there's a closer shop swaythling way but it's not as well stocked as footplate. Do you use Footplate yourself davek?
Are you going to Southampton model railway exhibition next wekend?
Building: Prebend Street Engine Shed layout based on Bedford engine shed amongst others
davek

Post by davek »

mr.duffin wrote:
davek wrote:Out of interest, where is your local shop - Footplate?
Yeah I use Footplate there's a closer shop swaythling way but it's not as well stocked as footplate. Do you use Footplate yourself davek?
Are you going to Southampton model railway exhibition next wekend?

I do use footplate quite a bit, I generally use Hattons for locos/stock and will go to Alton for stuff I can't get at Footplate.
I'll be at the MRE next weekend, probably Saturday in my NRM shirt - I'll be the guy in glasses ignoring foreign layouts and tutting at fat smelly old men getting in the way.
mr.duffin

Post by mr.duffin »

I'll be there on Saturday also I'll be ignoring the foreign layouts, despite my girlfriend wanting me to build her a French TGV layout. Not sure if what i'll be wearing, but look out for a 23 year old whos going bald, that'll be me.

All my ready to run rolling stock and 2 of my locos are from Hattons, mothers do like to buy trains for birthdays and Christmas. :lol: Got 3 Parkside Dundas kit wagons from Footplate they need decals and couplings but until I decide what coupler I want to use they'll stay devoid of couplings.

Tension lock, Spratt and winkle, or AJ couplers not sure which. Kaydees just don't look right in my opinion on the British prototype, and tension locks are big but all ready run stuff has them on, so extremely convenient. I'm not sure if I can cope with building AJ couplers but the are tuinty adn don't spoil the look of a model. Eventually I'll have to decide. So i can fit uncouplers to my layout, don't like the hand off God style of coupling!!

Also as promised photos of my butchered sidings!!
Attachments
Reworked sidings 002.jpg
Reworked sidings 002.jpg (116.58 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Building: Prebend Street Engine Shed layout based on Bedford engine shed amongst others
mr.duffin

Post by mr.duffin »

okay not been on line for a few months now, as after my last few posts i haven't had much time for building my layout. Although in the last 2/3 weeks things have started to happen i have build all my remaining baseboards, laid the track on the final scenic board adn started to lay the track for the fiddle yard. Got all my builing kits underway. I will get some photos online when I've got the camera charged. Anyway as for my weekends activities i think lots of wiring is needed!!!
mr.duffin

Post by mr.duffin »

Okay and on with the update after getting my new computer sorted i can now upload pictures much quicker than my old one that i thought would explode every-time i turn it on.

I've got some pictures showing the 3 boards, the 2 new ones and the 1 you've seen before, by the way I almost finished reworking the siding in the coal yard.

Pulled up some track on the edge of the board to join the new board, i laid the track over the join in the two scenic boards then with difficulty cut it using a junior hacksaw. No luxuries like a dremel for me, but I've got a join even though I didn't use PCB strips on the join. The final scenic board will have a station (that i haven't built yet), i have kit bashed a turntable out of the Peco n gauge turntable i purchased at Southampton Model Railway clubs show and a knightwing N gauge bridge and some checkerplate and wooden planking from the wills range. I wish i had taken photos while i built it so i could up load them and write up what i did. if any one wants i can put something together on what i did. My water tower has a coaling stage under it and the engine shed is from the Dapol range, purchased from Church Street models in Basingstoke. Its a recent discovery for me the service is friendly and the owner is happy to order stuff in its so convenient for me i can pop in after work.

Engine shed coaling stage cum water tower and associated sidings can only be entered from the turntable which is 6 inches in diameter limiting the size of loco to a 26-4 tank engine such as a Standard 4MT.

The goods shed is entered from a short headshunt a 0-6-0 shunter plus two or three wagons. The last scenic board is all wired and consists of 10 sections.

The fiddleyard track work was completed tonight but not wired, will endeavor to do this tomorrow night, as the misses is out getting her hair done.

Enough of my ramblings hers with the pictures:
Attachments
Water tower cum coaling stage
Water tower cum coaling stage
DSCF0960.JPG (109.82 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Turntable and engine shed
Turntable and engine shed
DSCF0957.JPG (112.9 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
The new scenic board
The new scenic board
DSCF0954.JPG (110.12 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
The whole length of the layout
The whole length of the layout
DSCF0958.JPG (109.61 KiB) Viewed 1221 times