1st layout for mr.duffin

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mr.duffin

1st layout for mr.duffin

Post by mr.duffin »

Okay my first layout it started a little under one year ago so far in that time ive build only the middle of 3 boards. Board 1 the fiddle yard is yet to be built board 2 withe the scenic break, some sidings and a coal yard is progressing nicely and the 3rd board with a station, a turntable (albeit very small) engine shed and possibly a goods shed are all still in my head. Easch board will be 4 foot by 18inches. My Prototype is the late fifties early sixties somewhere in Bedfordshire possibly the old Midland mainline from Bedford (before the line to St Pancras was built)that linked with the GNR mainline at Hitchin, hence the Ivatt 2-6-2T, which need new shed plates and numbers in the pictures and me lusting over the Park Royal rail buss from Dapol and the motorising kit I have found.
Attachments
Coal bunkers and coal office Will ratio kit
Coal bunkers and coal office Will ratio kit
Pictures 046.jpg (105.4 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
Signal box wills kit and interior took may hours to build
Signal box wills kit and interior took may hours to build
Pictures 044.jpg (117.05 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
View along layout from where the 3rd board would be towards where the scenic break is and fiddle yard should be
View along layout from where the 3rd board would be towards where the scenic break is and fiddle yard should be
Pictures 038.jpg (110.7 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
Platelayers hut Ratio/Wills kit with scratchbuilt from slaters plasticard brick foundation
Platelayers hut Ratio/Wills kit with scratchbuilt from slaters plasticard brick foundation
Pictures 037.jpg (117.67 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
View towards the tunnels both Wills/Ratio brick tunnel kits with a scratch built retaining wall between built from left over parts and plasticard. Bachmann Ivatt and short coal train a present from my mum and dad for Christmas
View towards the tunnels both Wills/Ratio brick tunnel kits with a scratch built retaining wall between built from left over parts and plasticard. Bachmann Ivatt and short coal train a present from my mum and dad for Christmas
Pictures 036.jpg (112.21 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
Last edited by mr.duffin on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building: Prebend Street Engine Shed layout based on Bedford engine shed amongst others
mr.duffin

Re: 1st layout for mr.duffin

Post by mr.duffin »

A couple more pictures and a few more of my ramblings. My plan is to build up the vegitation on the sides of the cuttings and up the bank behind the tunnel portals but my skills at building trees bushes and plants are lacking at the moments so they are on teh back burner for now may even get the 3rd board built before I tackle trees and such like. The signal box interior took 3 hours to build. I installed it and decided it wasnt shown off to its full potential so i decided to fit a lighting the lamp is from maplin a 12V build. I need to paint the wires to diguise them. I will have to fit a very small dimmer to the circuit as the lamp is to bright.
Attachments
Signal box with lighting off and Ivat 2-6-2 tank engine
Signal box with lighting off and Ivat 2-6-2 tank engine
Pictures 051.jpg (104.26 KiB) Viewed 3643 times
Signal box interior and lighting
Signal box interior and lighting
Pictures 050.jpg (117.04 KiB) Viewed 3642 times
Januarys sainsburys magazine and my layout
Januarys sainsburys magazine and my layout
Pictures 042.jpg (116.21 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
Ivatt in the background of the coal yard seen though the gates
Ivatt in the background of the coal yard seen though the gates
Pictures 040.jpg (117.12 KiB) Viewed 3639 times
View into the sidings and coal yard
View into the sidings and coal yard
Pictures 039.jpg (119.6 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
Last edited by mr.duffin on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building: Prebend Street Engine Shed layout based on Bedford engine shed amongst others
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Looking good - always worth taking your time. So the final plan is 12 feet by 18 inches? About a big as you can lay in the avarage lounge. Are you going to have standing on tresles?

Geoff T.
mr.duffin

Post by mr.duffin »

the final plan as it stands at the momemt is 12 foo by 18inches and trestles will be the support of choice. My fiddleyard will be built in such a way that when stored it will fit on top of the board in the photos, well thats the play.

Thanks for the encoragement!!

James
Raider

Post by Raider »

Are you sure it's your first layout? What you have done so far is great - if you can keep up the standard of work you will have a layout you should be very pleased with.
sishades

Post by sishades »

Well the standard that you have demonstrated here indicates that once that it has been completed it is going to be a stonker!

I look forward to seeing more of it.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I don't see a comment as to this being DCC or being a 12V analogue track?
From a personal point of view I've gone DCC (using the sometimes criticised Select unit) as I can control 14 points motors and have up to 8 - 10 locomotives 'live' on the layout - all controlled though a single plug in flylead. The bus power feed from one board to the next is through the bolts that connect them together, so no additional plugs needed.
While I envy those with large lofts (except the cost of their track) I believe a small portable layout offers great flexibility.

What 'Grass' did you use as the results looks very good and very soon I have to start on the limited green areas of my layout.

Geoff T.
mr.duffin

Post by mr.duffin »

Dad-1 wrote:I don't see a comment as to this being DCC or being a 12V analogue track?

What 'Grass' did you use as the results looks very good and very soon I have to start on the limited green areas of my layout.

Geoff T.
It's a 12V DC layout so far 4 isolated sections. Wanted DCC but dad dug an old gaugemaster SF controller out of the loft for me so DC it is to be for the time being. Eventually I plan to put point motors on all turnouts. And have a six to eight inch diameter turntable.

For the grass I used both fine and medium grade ground foam. I applied it to PGA glue on a brown painted filled surface that I had pages over card and paper mâché hill structure. Sorry can't remember the colours of ground foam that I used.

Honest it's my first layout I have built scale model aircraft and tanks for many years also built model boxes for theatre set designs while at college so I guess that all helps. When I first started my girlfriend told me that she would only let me have the layout in the flat if igot it to exhibition quality, Im not sure that will happen but possibly.

Regards

James
Raider

Post by Raider »

You certainly seem to have discovered a talent for the scenic side. I'm sure getting it up to exhibition standard won't be too tricky for you.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Looks like Exhibition standard is well within your reach ..........

I was/am still an aircraft modeller - here is my 1/72 Vickers Valiant from a Mach2 kit that has a bad reputation - all the markings done at home on the computer as no suitable items were available comercially.

Geoff T.
Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

Those tunnel mouths look great :)

I can't help but notice in the 3rd photo of the 1st post that two of the points look badly aligned with each other - does that cause any running problems? Or perhaps it's a bit of a trick of the camera.

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
mr.duffin

Post by mr.duffin »

In my rush to start I did misaligned the points
No running problems though luckily.
Spent ages on the tunnels glad they look good
Last edited by mr.duffin on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barks

Post by barks »

great start,

keep it up!

regards

barks :D
My Layout so far...
davek

Post by davek »

Amazing stuff - the scenery and ballasting look top notch. Can't wait to see what you get up to next!
mr.duffin

Post by mr.duffin »

Went shopping today to my local model railway emporium, enjoyed the cycle ride there and back!!

In my wisdom i purchased a Wills Craftsman kit CK19 Brick goods Shed and Loading dock, I then got home and decided i didn't like the loading dock i hand all ready built so pulled it up and all the wooden planking over the tracks so a load of re working to be done. I then got the goods shed kit out and its to large for the space I have!!!!

Oh no!!!!

I think im going to use it as basis for a scratch built goods shed I'll update you with some pictures of my destroyed sidings and ex loading dock when i find the camera.

James