My New Layout - Crick Road

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.

Re: My New Layout - Crick Road

Post by 47806 »

I decided to continue ballasting today, just one of those sudden bursts of creative energy! I am experimenting with watered-down glue to try and stick the lot together. So far it hasn't worked. I will probably end up going back to the Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

Post by 47806 »

I managed to make the water/glue mix work and the ballast has stuck more successfully (once it was left for a while to cure). I had another burst of creative energy over the weekend while I wasn't trainspotting and this is the result:

This is the new toucan crossing in front of the station, note the traffic lights and the pedestrian signs attached to the buttons (as per the modern standard):

This was a topic of discussion earlier, so I have posted another photo of it: the petrol station with prices frozen at June 2002 levels

Post by 47806 »

Just one photo today:

Post by 47806 »

Video showing some of the newly-completed ballast: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4c_QzBEy4AQ

I am beginning to clean up and prepare the layout to be stored while I am in the UK. I'm leaving in less than a month now!

Post by 47806 »

I think that it is fair to say that there comes a time in the lives of most railway modellers when they are removed from their hobby for a period of time. I never thought that it would happen to me, but it has. As I am moving to the UK, Crick Road has been partially dismantled and will be stored. The locos will continue to be run by my father from time to time but most of the scenic elements and the stock have been boxed away. I won't have time or space for a model railway in the UK so this is going to be quite a change for me. I will keep making plans for future projects and trainspotting will help to keep me happy. I am not leaving this forum as I really enjoy it and the discussions are both informative and entertaining.

Anyway, I decided to finish Crick Road with a special photoshoot: I decided to photograph the layout from the perspective of a trainspotter. Enjoy!

Crick Road, from the trainspotter's point of view:
I arrived at the Crick Road bridge to see what was at the Crick Road Depot:
There was a 47, some wagons and a shunter at the depot. There was also a Freightliner intermodal sitting in the passing loop with a red signal.

The shunter was 08630 and it was coupled to a VDA.

There isn't a gate at the depot entrance so I was able to get this quick shot.

Crick Road is so narrow over the railway that it is controlled by a traffic light.

Engineering Equipment sitting in the depot.

I then walked to the pedestrian crossing at the north of the depot:

57008 awaits a green signal to leave the loop while the 47 sits in front of the depot inspection shed.

An EWS freight heads southbound and passes 57008.

After the EWS freight passed, I took a photo of the depot.

I then carried on to Daventry Station in time to see that 57008 had a green signal and was proceeding through Platform 1 on its way to the DIRFT.

The line was then quiet for a while and then:
47806 arrived at Platform 2 with the Birmingham New Street-Northampton train.

57008 returned from the DIRFT running light engine through Daventry Platform 1.

Then there was some yelling in the carpark and the police were called:

Finally, 66068 arrived with the northbound cement train.

I left the station and explored Crick Road a little, this is the bridge carrying the WCML over the road.

Help has arrived...

The shops opposite the station.

Finally, my trainspotting was over and I caught the bus home:

That is Crick Road, here are two photo showing the overview of the entire layout:

I want to thank everyone on the forum for their kind comments, suggestions and help. It has made Crick Road more enjoyable and it has taught me more skills that I can use for my future model railways. :D
Lewis Nash

Post by Lewis Nash »

very sad to hear,at least it is stored and not scrapped.
the last pic is fantastic,looks really great to see the entire layout and good luck in the future with new projects. :wink: :D

Regards
Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

Crick Road Layout has for me been the most interesting to read, You have certainly added a lot of depth and realism to it Thomas.
Enjoyed the last shots from the trainspotters view, particularly loved the 9th shot down of 57008 with the 47 in the background! 8)

I hope you enjoy your time over here, have you condisered doing a small shelf layout while your over here? or will space will be an Issue?

Good luck with everything mate
Regards

Adam.

Post by 47806 »

Class 60 wrote:have you condisered doing a small shelf layout while your over here? or will space will be an Issue?
I have considered it, but with Upper Sixth Form and settling in I doubt I will have the time. I am taking my future layout plans with me though!
Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

Great Layout there! :) One of the best things is how well the road is integrated into the design, it blends in really well. Also like the pics with the EWS 08 showing the shed and fuel hoses.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267

Post by 47806 »

The stock is packed away, the vehicles removed. The people have gone away, so have the details. Only the buildings and locos remain. The locos will be run once and a while. Farewell Crick Road:
TOM M

Post by TOM M »

hi 47806 on your layout did any of the bigger locos eg 66 58 ever get caught on the points you have the small points am i right

Post by 47806 »

TOM M wrote:hi 47806 on your layout did any of the bigger locos eg 66 58 ever get caught on the points you have the small points am i right
I used Peco Streamline Medium and Small points and never had any trouble with the 66. However, I did use two Peco curved points and my Heljan 47 always got stuck.

Post by 47806 »

I have done a cull of my online presence including restarting my fotopic site. I have deleted the Crick Road collections of photos and thus I have lost the direct linking.

Thank you to everyone who looked at or commented on my layout thread. Take a look at my new layout thread:
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 44&t=18633