HV Cornmoor SD/WRD

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshs

HV Cornmoor SD/WRD

Post by joshs »

This is the final change of idea now for the layout, I have gone back to my origianal plan of a Servicing point and Wagon repair depot set in 2009. So i can run modern locos but also have locos running in for servicing Steam & Diesel off railtours.
So you will see a wide range of locos and liverys on the layout including modern locos & Liverys. so keep watching this thread for regular updates on Cornmoor SD/WRD.

josh
Last edited by joshs on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
wobblybob

Post by wobblybob »

Sounds interesting Josh. Look forward to reading more. Do you plan to use some sort of 'timetable' or loading/unloading schedule to operate the railway or will you ad lib?
joshs

Post by joshs »

thanks for the reply i haven't actually decided how i will operate the layout but you have given me some ideas thanks hopefully i should have all the track together and down in a few months because of money constraints.

cheers josh
joshs

Post by joshs »

have got all the track together and have laid it i am going to start laying ballast this weekend will post some pictures at weekend.

cheers josh
joshs

Post by joshs »

really sorry for the late reply :oops: :oops: but i have know laid all the track and wired it up and put the back scenes on and put some metcalf grey brick on the two sides and the back boards around the layout and i have started to ballast the track which is about the worst part of building the layout will post some pictures this week because im up to the north yorkshire moors railway this weekend.

cheers josh
joshs

Post by joshs »

this are the pictures of my layout really sorry for the late reply i have been really busy resentlly the first picture is an over view of the layout.
the second picture is a second overall view of the layout.
the next two pictures are of a loco that i am using to run the yard at the moment the it is a class 08 shunter and the second picture is a rake of trucks on one of the siding in the yard.
Image.

will post some pictures this weekend when some of the ballasting has been done.

cheers josh
wobblybob

Post by wobblybob »

Looking good. The track layout should offer lots of shunting options. As for ballasting, it's my pet hate. :evil:
MiniMichael

Post by MiniMichael »

Its going well.....Cant wait for the end product.
joshs

Post by joshs »

thanks for the comments wobblybob and minimichael wobblybob i agree with you i hate ballasting that is partly what made be scrap my old layout and start this smaller one.

cheers josh
MiniMichael

Post by MiniMichael »

I hate it when all the electronics are working perfectly, you scatter some ballast on and it looks great. As soon as the glue gets sprayed on all the hard work in getting the electronics working is ruined.... :cry:
joshs

Post by joshs »

i agree with you the slightist bit of ballast around the power wires where they are solderd on to the track and the layout stops working.

cheers josh
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

Does the glue conduct then and cause a short?
joshs

Post by joshs »

sorry i didn't make that bit very clear it is even before i put the glue down that the ballast shorts out the track so i don't know why.

cheers josh
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

I haven't ballasted mine yet, I am leaving that until almost the end so it will cover up s multitude of sins, but I can't understand why ballast would short anything out as it can't be made of metal? Maybe it is getting in the way of the wheels and lifting the trains slightly off the track?
wobblybob

Post by wobblybob »

Ballast and glue doesn't cause shorts but it can - and does - break electrical contact. Sometimes it's because the ballast impedes wheel/rail contact. Sometimes it's the glue seeping on to the moving rails and contacts, thus breaking the circuit.