The Train to Hades in On30

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pete

The Train to Hades in On30

Post by Pete »

Hi

Well whilst waiting for papier mache to dry on my drift mine diorama, I thought I'd start something else. This is a little fantasy layout I've had in the back of my mind for a long time. It's the train to Hades.

The boatman Charon drops your soul off (assuming you've paid your obolus) at the wooden platform. Your soul is then hauled up the cliff face in a galvanised bucket (I think it's an appropriate way to hoist a soul), and loaded into a tipper (pulled by a faithful Davenport), and then it's off to Hades, the Elysian fields etc.

It's a simple loop (340mm diameter), the interior will be lit to give an ethreal glow from the tunnel mouths.

It's just a bit of fun, and appeals to my sense of humour. I have an idea how to represent souls, but that's for another day!

Pete
Last edited by Pete on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

Cheerful subject, you can have that.....

I've often wanted to do something like that, just a little diorama, but never really wanted to buy a loco just for it.
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

excellent another one from your sketchbook...
:D
Pete

Post by Pete »

:D

I've adjusted the links above too, you can see a photo now.

I think there's a lot of fun to be had subverting model railways.

Pete
live-frog

Post by live-frog »

I knew if you stayed at modelling long enough you'd go stark,staring crackers - aw to hell with it !!
Ron
joshing_man

Post by joshing_man »

aw to hell with it !!
Well to Hades in an On30 wagon anyway! :lol:

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):
ollyg16

Post by ollyg16 »

I am not sure my soul is happy about thet idea of a ride in a galvanised bucket, however, if aboard a train....................thats different.

What a fantastic plan.
davek

Post by davek »

Single ticket please - straight to Hull!

I often though of doign a small layout subverting it with dinosaurs, toy soldiers, Warhammer figures, all the weird bizarre and sick things all rolled into one...firey pits of hell - go for it.
Pete

Post by Pete »

hi

I guess it's down to your motives for modelling, for me it's the making and building that really interests me, not the trains per se. Going completely fantasy allows you to express yourself more. I also like the idea of subverting toys.

That said come the summer I'll be back onto my new DRG prototype layout (I hope).

Pete
NClight

Post by NClight »

One tunnel to heaven one to hell?
Meee likeeee it, Maaasteeeerrrrr :twisted:
Pete

Post by Pete »

no just one tunnel in for souls, no returns, I think Hades is what you make of it really, can be Heaven or Hell, I worry about the souls who died without payment for Charon, they're doomed to walk the shores of the Styx.

Pete
psdavidson

Post by psdavidson »

From the sketch, the hoist looks like gallows. Is the bucket going to be attached by a noose?

Modelling Cerberus could be fun!

EDIT: s/scetch/sketch/
"The Other Pete"

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is
dr5euss

Post by dr5euss »

Pete wrote:I worry about the souls who died without payment for Charon, they're doomed to walk the shores of the Styx.
You are a strange person :? :wink:
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Scary business! I bet your bedtime stories are a thrill a minute! No three little pigs or jack and the beanstalk for you!

All the best,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
Pete

Post by Pete »

From the sketch, the hoist looks like gallows. Is the bucket going to be attached by a noose?
Yep!! I was keeping that a suprise.

I've been thinking about Cerberus, he might be the train driver, but also it's the train to Hades, so the mouth of the tunnel shown might not necessarily be the enterance, so I could dispense with the need for Cerberus at this time.

There's going to be a notice board on the landing stage that says welcome in multiple languages, including Latin and Greak. :D

Pete