Handrails

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
timgray

Handrails

Post by timgray »

Hi
Would any member or members be able to advise me on the best way of making a new handrail for a Hornby Gordon which I have purchased much to my grandsons delight, unfortunately one handrail is completely missing so I am looking for some ideas as to how to fit and make a new one.

The other side has a black rail which I think could be made out of some wire but the small stanchions I don't have a clue so any ideas would be appreciated. The handrail (just in case I am using the wrong term) missing is the item that runs along the length of the boiler. We wont mind if it does not match exactly but the replacement needs to fill in the holes in the body and look the part.
I have had a look on you tube but!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in anticipation.
Dad-1

Re: Handrails

Post by Dad-1 »

Hand-rails are supported on hand-rail knobs. these fit into holes on the boiler side, or
other locations. They come in different lengths if you still have on one side you could,
measure but you're talking very small differences.
The usual wire is stainless 0.45 mm and can be easily obtained from certain suppliers
as can the knobs. What you will have to do 'By Eye' is add any required shaping to the
long hand-rail.

Are Squires the best source ???

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

They are the first people I'd try, "Elains Trains" is much missed.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:52 pm ... "Elaines Trains" is much missed.
That's a mistake I made! Elaines Trains definitely still in business.

Eileen's Emporium is the one you and I - and doubtless many others - are missing.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Yup your right, Sorry Elaine.
It's for things like that, that you really miss a good local model shop, where you can look at what's available.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions