Fiddle yard on off power switches

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
centenary

Fiddle yard on off power switches

Post by centenary »

My fiddle yard shown below has 7 roads.
FiddleYard.png
I want to install switchable on \ off power to each of the individual roads. Each road to have switchable on \ off power for the relevant route. For example, the very bottom green road I want the power to be switchable just to the left of the point. The next road up from the bottom, from the straight ahead on the 2nd point and so on. Hope that is clear.

My layout will be powered by the DCC Concepts 5 amp power supply. I can use a simple single pole double throw on \ off toggle switch to power on \ off each road but Im a little confused about suitable switches to use.

I can find on line, a module designed for model railways that comes with 8 x 10 amp relays and switches but, as with many on line cottage industries, the owners rkeducation, isnt replying to questions on availability. PITA people who run businesses and dont reply.

Does anyone know of a similar available module using relays? Yes, I could buy an 8 x 10 amp relay board off EBay but the switches need to be connected to the pins on the relay board and Im not sure how the switches need to be wired. Unless someone can tell me how!

Alternatively, if I just want to use toggle switches and no relays, can anyone suggest suitable toggle switches that will not burn out using 5 amp and 12v -18v? I get cofused with suitable switches because they nearly always say something like 'suitable for 10 amps at 240v' and tend to look massive!

Any ideas?
Peterm

Re: Fiddle yard on off power switches

Post by Peterm »

Ordinary toggle switches is all you need. You won't be switching 5 amps.
Pete.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Agreed, but if you are using DCC why do you need the switches?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
centenary

Post by centenary »

Bufferstop wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:52 pm Agreed, but if you are using DCC why do you need the switches?
Couple of reasons, I imagined it would be good practice. Also a preference to be able to turn the power off in the fiddle yard so standing Pullman carriages with internal lights are not constantly illuminated. Plus however many diesel locos I have on the roads arent drawing any power, even if it is a minimal amount. I appreciate you turn the sound and lights off with DCC.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Peterm wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 pm Ordinary toggle switches is all you need. You won't be switching 5 amps.
If the DCC Concepts power supply is putting 5 amps into the buss, why wont I be switching 5 amps? There will be a main buss for the main track and a sub buss for the fiddle yard. The sub buss will be wired in parallel with the main with the power supply connecting to both under the fiddle yard. I wouldnt expect there to be much of a drop in amps or voltage.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

centenary wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:05 am
Peterm wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 pm Ordinary toggle switches is all you need. You won't be switching 5 amps.
If the DCC Concepts power supply is putting 5 amps into the buss, why wont I be switching 5 amps? There will be a main buss for the main track and a sub buss for the fiddle yard. The sub buss will be wired in parallel with the main with the power supply connecting to both under the fiddle yard. I wouldnt expect there to be much of a drop in amps or voltage.
It isnt putting 5 Amps into anywhere. IT CAN PROVIDE UP TO 5.0Amps if needed. It will only provide the current (Amps) needed by any locos running or sitting stationary and drawing current for lighting etc or any accessory decoders. A very rough rule of thumb is.... a modern non-sound loco with no lights On while running as a light loco consumes around 200ma. Add front and rear lights then it increases to around 240ma. Add sound it then becomes around 350ma in total. These are rough guides and are total current for a standard N or OO loco. Larger scales will draw more current. Of course, some locos will draw more current than others.
So say for an example you have four OO locos all running and all are sound fitted and sounds are On, I would expect to see around 1.4Amp or a little more loading on the 5.0Amp power supply
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Flashbang wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:56 am
centenary wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:05 am
It isnt putting 5 Amps into anywhere. IT CAN PROVIDE UP TO 5.0Amps if needed. It will only provide the current (Amps) needed by any locos running or sitting stationary and drawing current for lighting etc or any accessory decoders. A very rough rule of thumb is.... a modern non-sound loco with no lights On while running as a light loco consumes around 200ma. Add front and rear lights then it increases to around 240ma. Add sound it then becomes around 350ma in total. These are rough guides and are total current for a standard N or OO loco. Larger scales will draw more current. Of course, some locos will draw more current than others.
So say for an example you have four OO locos all running and all are sound fitted and sounds are On, I would expect to see around 1.4Amp or a little more loading on the 5.0Amp power supply
Ah! I get you (and others who've said that)! A misconception on my part obviously.

OK, I guess now knowing that, I'll reconsider if I need to have any switches, except for the road where the Hornby Pullman coaches with non DCC lights will be stabled. It will clearly make the wiring a lot easier if I dont bother with the switches.

Thanks all.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Be aware when choosing a relay module, especially for DCC use that they all have different operating requirements.
Solid state for instance usually need an AC load to reset their internal logic (similar to latching relays but not quite).
Mech/elect relay modules may have their operating trigger voltage and board power separate or combined.
Some are designed to only operate the relays from a logic trigger source like an Arduino or RasPi.
Do your homework or waste loads of cash finding out. Yes I did, anyone want some vague relay modules.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

These 5A switches from Rapid are small and inexpensive:-

https://www.rapidonline.com/salecom-t80 ... ch-75-0083

centenary

Post by centenary »

Suzie wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:28 am These 5A switches from Rapid are small and inexpensive:-

https://www.rapidonline.com/salecom-t80 ... ch-75-0083

Thank you, Suzie. I'll investigate those.