Decoders

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
MarkOg

Decoders

Post by MarkOg »

I have a couple of old decoders with which I would like to test their operability - i.e. do they work? - before I wire them into the loco. Any ideas how this may be achieved?
Dad-1

Re: Decoders

Post by Dad-1 »

Obviously you need a working DCC controller.
Attach the motor leads to a loose old motor you know works.
I must admit I have a ESU tester here that includes sound - yet I never use it.
I always have the odd motor laying around though !!

Geoff T.
centenary

Post by centenary »

MarkOg wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:07 pm I have a couple of old decoders with which I would like to test their operability - i.e. do they work? - before I wire them into the loco. Any ideas how this may be achieved?
The easiest way would be to simply put the chip in a loco, preferably not your most expensive or favourite and see whether it functions. Otherwise you need a platform to test the chip such as a chip tester. Just wiring up a motor to the chip would only show whether the motor functionality works, not lights etc.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

MarkOg wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:07 pm I have a couple of old decoders with which I would like to test their operability - i.e. do they work? - before I wire them into the loco. Any ideas how this may be achieved?
If you're committed to the hobby, a decoder tester is a must have. I personally use and recommend ESU's.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Bigglesof266,

That's the one I have, although I don't use it much.

Geoff T.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

ESU decoder test rig is essential. It may not be in constant use but when you need one they are invaluable.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Dad-1 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:33 am That's the one I have, although I don't use it much.Geoff T.
I wouldn't be without mine Geoff.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

RAF96 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:04 am ESU decoder test rig is essential. It may not be in constant use but when you need one they are invaluable.
Ditto this 100%.
MarkOg

Post by MarkOg »

So to confirm - and I have a working DCC controller.

Join motor decoder wires to a working motor?
Join pick up decoder wires to programming track?

Thanks

Mark
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

MarkOg wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:12 pm So to confirm - and I have a working DCC controller.

Join motor decoder wires to a working motor? Orange and Grey wires
Join pick up decoder wires to programming track? Red & Black wires

Thanks

Mark
Yes, that will prove the decoders Motor output is OK once the correct address number is entered. What it won't do is test any Function outputs e.g. Lights.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Personally, for preference, I do any testing of a 'questionable' decoder that I have been asked to look at on known reliable mechanisms that have the appropriate socket for the decoder; or exactly as you propose, if presented with a wired only decoder. Then make an address change, which will confirm that there's no problem wih power supply and it can run the motor.

It is easier (and typically more comprehensive) with a socket on a mechanism that offers whatever other functions you want to test from the decoder. Between such a mechanism and a good DCC system, I would be hard put to know what a dedicated tester is for.

The range of motor characteristics and 'obscure' wiring arrangements nowadays randomly lobbed into RTR OO, isn't going to be covered by a tester: and in my experience this is usually 'the problem' that leads to the question 'Is this decoder working properly?'. And the answer is usually, yes it is within whatever design characteristics it has; which is often followed by, but it isn't one or the other of a good match for the motor in the model, or alternatively the way the various functions have been configured, and sometimes both. How much simpler it was when iron core motors were what you got, and front and rear lights were all the functions.
MarkOg

Post by MarkOg »

Gents

Motor tested using 9V battery. It spins. Decoder red and black joined to programming track, orange and grey to the motor. Controller says it cannot read CVs, but can read existing locos which run fine on DCC. The decoder gets hot in programming mode!

Is there anything else I can do or do I have I a duff decoder? Decoder is an old Lenz thing - 1025? - bought from Fleabay, and yes caveat emptor.....
RFS

Post by RFS »

The Lenz LE1025 is a very old decoder - last version of the manual is the 4th edition, and that dates from 2006. If the decoder gets hot just by being on the programming track I would suggest it's faulty.
Robert Smith
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Last ditch hope is to perform a decoder reset, probably entering 8 or 33 in CV8. But as above, getting hot on programme track = most probably faulty and beyond hope.
MarkOg

Post by MarkOg »

It's not reading CVs, so cannot enter anything! I agree that getting hot is not good.....