CDU to Motorised Point Relationship

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
Martin1946

CDU to Motorised Point Relationship

Post by Martin1946 »

Hi.

Assistance appreciated.
Are CDUs a necessity (DC layout)

Do I need a CDU for every Points Motor?

Where should CDUs be mounted?

Can a CDU be hidden ?

Thankyou
End2end

Re: CDU to Motorised Point Relationship

Post by End2end »

As a rule, yes.
You only need one CDU
Mount it where you like, close to its power source.
Hidden so wandering fingers don't come across it.

This is my plan using Seep PM1 point motors
You can forget the 12v circuit side. That's only for changing the control panel LED's when the point is thrown and nothing to do with the actual action of the point motor.
ST Blazeys Wiring Colour SchemeSM.JPG
ST Blazeys Wiring Colour SchemeSM.JPG (51.37 KiB) Viewed 483 times
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Martin1946

Post by Martin1946 »

Thanks, that's perfect. Now I can proceed with my plan.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
There is no need for 32/0.2mm wire from the 16v power source, 16/0.2mm will be fine :D
Ensure the feed wiring from the CDU output to all switches or levers is 16/0.2mm and the return wire from the motors is at least 16/0.2mm.
As you usually only operate one or two motors from one switch or lever then 16/0.2mm will be fine for the motors feed from the switch or lever. Note: Switches MUST be non-locking sprung to centre off type often called (On)-Off-(On) where the bracketed On cannot remain in that position when the switches lever is released. Levers must be of the Passing contact type too. Any switch or lever remaining in its On position will prevent the CDU from recharging.

When using LEDs for signals or panel indications ensure there is a series resistor in one (doesn't matter which) leg of the LED unless the LEDs are sold rated to operate at the supply voltage which then means they have a factory fitted resistor. Failure to fit a resistor to LEDs and then applying 12v DC to them will result in immediate LED failure! :o A 1K0 (1000 Ohm) 1/4 watt resistor is about the lowest ohm value I would use on 12 volts, you can of course increase the ohm value to reduce LED brightness. :D
Martin1946 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:59 pm Hi.

Assistance appreciated.
Are CDUs a necessity (DC layout) Not a necessity but they are very useful and help prevent motor coil burn out due to a switch being left On. They also of course provide the "Beefy" pulse of power to throw a solenoid motor. They can only be used with Solenoid motors. The CDU is not part of the track power supply and it doesn't matter whether DC or DCC is used but do ensure the two systems are kept separate

Do I need a CDU for every Points Motor? No, normally one CDU is all that's needed but more than one can be used where there are several point control places separate from reach other. But one is the norm.

Where should CDUs be mounted? Ideally inside the control panel where the point switches or levers are. But it can be mounted under the layout

Can a CDU be hidden ? Yes, see immediately above :D

Thankyou
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Martin1946

Post by Martin1946 »

Thanks for the info, most useful :)