Lenz 1025

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
MarkOg

Lenz 1025

Post by MarkOg »

Gents

Bought a Lenz 1025 decoder for the Hornby 0-4-0 Caledonian Railway pug. Red and black to pickups, grey and orange to motor terminals. It cannot read CVs on the programming track. Other locos are fine. No shorts seen, continuity OK between each pick up and each red/black wires. No continuity between the two. There is continuity between the two motor terminal wires - is this right?

It was fine before with a TCS decoder fitted exactly the same way.

Guidance as to where the fault is would be most welcome.

Thanks

Mark
Bigmet

Re: Lenz 1025

Post by Bigmet »

What you are reporting is what would be expected of any decoder installation.

Have you tried entering an address on programme track? That's the first test of whether it is successfully installed and working. If it doesn't accept an address, next thing to try is a reset, look at the notes that came with it (reset is probably by entering 8 or 33 in CV8.)
MarkOg

Post by MarkOg »

It's not reading or taking any CVs - it states " Cannot read CV" There is a short or something somewhere, but as I have fried a Hornby decoder in testing I am not going to pursue things. The loco is really not worth it and I don't want to fry another decoder. I have the other LMS pug which runs fine enough.

Incidentally, what can I buy these days (second hand) for around 40 quid, runs well, reasonably new-ish, and takes a decoder reasonably easily - i.e. not a split chassis.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
Have you removed all existing DC motor connections? On some smaller locos this may be via a wiper contact attached to the locos metal chassis. These connections whether wire or wiper etc must be removed before attempting any conversion. Testing to both motor terminals in turn from the wheels and there MUST NOT be any connection. Only then can the decoder be connected. Failure to remove all connections motor to wheels can result in total decoder failure!
A reading across the two motor terminals is correct, as you are reading the motors coil winding ohmage.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.