DCC Auto Reverse question

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
5thgroup

DCC Auto Reverse question

Post by 5thgroup »

I have a large fiddle yard on the lower level, fed by a track coming down the two-track helix. The yard exits to the up track on the helix, and near the top, the two tracks come together before exiting the tunnel and entering the upper level world. It is thus, one large loop. My question is, does the entire loop have to be in one power district? I would like to have the fiddle yard level as one power district, with the helix and its joining point as another. Later: Never mind. It's obvious that a loop must be within a single power district.
Simplified Track Plan
Simplified Track Plan
Simple Schematic reduced.jpg (56.92 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Last edited by 5thgroup on Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suzie

Re: DCC Auto Reverse question

Post by Suzie »

The simple answer to that is no - you can have as many power districts as you like.

You do need to worry about having a reversing section somewhere though, and I suspect that the best place to put it would be on the 'down' helix line where you can use the point at the top of the helix to control the polarity (return the point to 'up' as soon as a down train has cleared the point).
5thgroup

Re: DCC Auto Reverse question

Post by 5thgroup »

Got it. Ain't no rule says the loop has to start or end at a point. Thanks!
Turns out that is the answer to the reverse from a complex freight yard and a three road platform, too, on the upper level.
I'll buy your lunch when all this is done!