Hattons Decoders not responding

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
End2end

Hattons Decoders not responding

Post by End2end »

I've just installed 3 x 18 pin Hattons decoders in my Hattons Genesis coaches but they will not respond on the programming track.
Just to make sure, I reopened one and tried the decoder installed the other way round with no joy and interrogated a loco on the programming track which worked fine.

My questions are, should I try to interrogate / change number / change CV's on the main instead?
Is there a decoder available as a replacement that is the same size as the Hattons 18 pin decoder that will fit in the tight space instead?
The decoders are only installed so I can lower the lighting level in the coaches.

It is noted on the Hattons website that these decoders do not work with a Hornby controller. I don't have a Hornby controller.
I do have a mix of other manufacturers decoders in my loco's that all work fine.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
RFS

Re: Hattons Decoders not responding

Post by RFS »

Perhaps it's because they do not draw any current. Have you tried placing a loco on the programming track with the coach and setting it up that way? You'd have to re-address the loco aftwards.
Robert Smith
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks RFS.
Do you know how would this impact the loco with a different decoder installed if I change the CV for lighting brightness on the Hattons decoders ad the loco decoders responds to the same CV number to do something else?

What about if the loco decoders factory settings do not respond to / include the same CV number that changes the lighting level on the Hattons decoders will the data transfer fail?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
RFS

Post by RFS »

I think that once you have set the address in the deocder on the programming track, you can use progamming-on-main to set the other CVs.
Robert Smith
End2end

Post by End2end »

Would I still need the loco attached when programming on the main?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The suggestion made by RFS has worked every time I have used it for programming an address on a variety of decoders in coaches to control lighting (Lenz system; combinations various, drawn from ESU, Hattons, Hornby, Lenz, Soundtraxx, 'Unknown', Zimo, decoders).

The useful thing to know when using a decoder fitted loco to supply the motor response, is this decoder's reset value to enter in CV8. That way, once you are all done programming the decoder in the coach it comes off the programme track, and the loco is then reset to factory default. Once the loco decoder address is back to 03, all the other CV's will be back at factory setting, and you can then re-enter CV's as you require.

The other alternative is to have some old mechanism with a decoder fitted, and just use that as a 'mule' for the purpose. I now have a 'Hornby pug' mechanism with a very poor decoder on it, and just use that, it's never run so its set up is of no concern.

Oh, and a trick. Once you have a decoder in a coach with the address you want to use set, all the remaining programming can happen on main. Now, you can choose to set all the decoders for a train to the same address, or even all the lit coaches on the layout to the same address, so lights on / off requires one command. I usually operate lights off, only turn them on for low light operation. Since 'low light' is a whole layout thing, it seems logical to me that all lit coaches should be lit. (The address I use is 3015, the first three letters of coach, easy to remember.)
Last edited by Bigmet on Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFS

Post by RFS »

End2end wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:35 pm Would I still need the loco attached when programming on the main?
Thanks
End2end
PoM means the request goes to all locos on the track, but includes the loco address, so only the loco(s) with that address respond.
Robert Smith
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks chaps.
I was just collecting information for reset numbers for CV8 that I have already installed.
I cannot find the information for the Hornby R7274 in my Peckett but the rest are as follows.
Lenz Silver + 33
Bachmann 36-558A - 08
The manual for the TCS M1P-1 says 153 but also says "enter 2 to perform factory reset)

Ill give it a shot with my Jinty / Lenz decoder installed loco.

Can I just ask, after moving the coaches to the main does it not make a difference if there is a motor load?
Apologies for the urgency for a solution but if these decoders do not work with my controller I need to contact Hattons as soon as possible.
I'll now go and try the programming track solution and will report back.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
RFS

Post by RFS »

There's no problem changing CVs on the main even though it's a coach with no motor. I've just been doing just that with a Bachmann 4TC. This has a Lenz Silver 21+ which is Railcom-enabled, and I can both read and write CVs on the main for this unit.
Robert Smith
End2end

Post by End2end »

Here's the results.
I have managed to change the decoder numbers of the coaches and Jinty together to 99 using the programming track but I cannot change the lighting level in the coaches either on the programming track nor on the main whether they are attached to Jinty or sat alone.
The command has no errors when sent but the light level does not change.
F0 for turning on and off the lights DOES work though.

The instructions I was sent for changing the light level from Hattons is thus...
In order to dim the lights on the decoder you will need to change CV64 to a value between 1 and 20 (with one being the most dim and 20 the brightest) for LED lighting such as those on these coaches we recommend a maximum of 6

The product page also says..
The Hattons decoder range may not work with Hornby branded controllers. They should work with any other controller and have been tested with all other major brands.

Even looking at the manual there doesn't seem to be any mention of lighting levels only lighting effects.
https://images.hattons.co.uk/mediafiles ... ns2016.pdf
Thanks
Ene2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

I've come to this thread too late, but for future reference, if these are loco decoders try a 100Ω resistor across the track. This makes the decoder think there's a motor connected.
Pete.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks Peterm.
I knew there was a way to add a dummy load but couldn't remember how for the life of me. :lol:

My thinking now is either the decoder does not work fully with my controller. (I don't know the reason the decoders do not work with Hornby controllers)
Or Hattons have given me the incorrect CV number to change.
I'll give them a ring and see what they say.

In the meantime I have taken a look at other possible decoders and the only one that suits is a (£10 more expensive each :shock: ) Lenz Silver +
The size of the Hattons decoder is 15 x 9.5 x 2.8
The size of the Lenz is 15 x 9.5 x 2.9
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

OK I've spoken to Hattons this morning who led me to DCC Concepts, the actual manufacturer of some of the Hattons DCC decoders.
As both the paperwork and manual of the decoders is sparse at best I don't have a full list of CV's for the decoders.

After calling DCC Concepts I was told that CV64 is indeed for lighting level but another CV needs to be changed first.
Either try setting CV49 to 44 or try CV50 to 44.

For more information I was pointed to the lighting section of the Zen Black manual
https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/zen- ... ntrol-v12/

I'll give it a bash and see what happens.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks everyone.
Setting CV49 to 44 then changing CV 64 on the Hattons decoders as advised by DCC Concepts cracked it. :D
The LED's flicker when set lower than the default level of 4. The lower the level the more they flicker.
Would this damage the LED's?
Or should I not worry and enjoy the charm of gas lit coaches? :D

I've also reset the Jinty back to default as it was before.
Mission accomplished.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
RFS

Post by RFS »

LEDs are designed to flicker. My PC hard drive activity light has been doing it for years!
Robert Smith