Carriage marking C1 etc & buffer cuffs?

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
centenary

Carriage marking C1 etc & buffer cuffs?

Post by centenary »

When you see C1, C2(?), C3 on the end of uk carriage stock, what does this marking mean?

Also, when watching a few UK steam hauled loco tours on YT and when the loco changes ends, why do they seem to put cuff stops on the carriage buffers to stop them moving?
mrobs2002

Re: Carriage marking C1 etc & buffer cuffs?

Post by mrobs2002 »

Route clearance codes. Pretty much everything before the mid 70's was C1, Mk.3 coach introduced C3.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The buffer collars are removed so one can push the buffers in when using the buckeye couplings (Heavy things that have to be lifted and supported with one arm where one inserts the pin to hold them up using the other hand. Not an easy job and must be passed without the use of additional buckeye lifting tools and must be done via the single person before one can pass out to work such coaches.
If the coach is an end coach, so one is using the screw link couplings, one then has to extend the buffers outso theycan come into use, and the collars are placed so that the buffers can't be pushed back so that they then work as ordinary buffers.
Guards must give drivers advice slips. How many coaches. The route availability (C1, C2 etc), the maximum speed of the slowest coach, the weight etc. Brake tests need to be done every time the loco is uncoupled and run round to the other end. This is eitherdone via inside the brake van if it is at the back of the train, orthe rear most vehicle from the outside of whichever vehicleis at the back.
Is essential that the guard makes sure the drivef has turned the ETH off before the guard uncouples the cable as death can occur if not done.
Also one HAS to hold the pipe firmly when doing a break test from outside as if not, one has a very heavy chunk of metal brake coupling that can swish around out ofcontrol which has been known to completely knock guards out cold as one man found out when it caught him in the goolies!

Working engine and coaches is quite a hazadous job. When I did, within two months there were two deaths associated with coupling and uncoupling vehicles.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I presume there are no release levers as used in the US as someone still has to get down between the coaches to disconnect the brake pipes and ETH or steam heating pipes. Coupling up modern DMUs is much simpler (as long as they work). My regular train to Paddington via Oxford used to couple onto one waiting at Oxford so they could go forward on the same path The drill was "Ladies and Gentlemen please remain seated until we have coupled to the waiting train, slow to a stop then nudge forward" I only knew it fail once when he had to let everyone off set back, and try again.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Mountain wrote: Brake tests need to be done every time the loco is uncoupled and run round to the other end. This is eitherdone via inside the brake van if it is at the back of the train, orthe rear most vehicle from the outside of whichever vehicleis at the back.
When I was Guarding the Guard was required to physically check the brakes had actuated by kicking the blocks on the rearmost coach (unlike freight brake test), so it was always done from the ground. I guess things evolve over time. (Use a stone to tap a wheel for anything disc braked)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Richard08 wrote:
Mountain wrote: Brake tests need to be done every time the loco is uncoupled and run round to the other end. This is eitherdone via inside the brake van if it is at the back of the train, orthe rear most vehicle from the outside of whichever vehicleis at the back.
When I was Guarding the Guard was required to physically check the brakes had actuated by kicking the blocks on the rearmost coach (unlike freight brake test), so it was always done from the ground. I guess things evolve over time. (Use a stone to tap a wheel for anything disc braked)
And isolate them if needed. RIC, DIC PULL
& KICK!
Something that today only fitters are allowed to do.