Hornby Drummond M7 0-4-4T

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Bigmet

Hornby Drummond M7 0-4-4T

Post by Bigmet »

A search revealed there has never been a thread on this site for this model, most likely because this site started well after this model was introduced either late 2005 or sometime in 2006.

Correct me if wrong, I believe that this was the first all-new tooling tank engine model that Hornby produced after their move to China. The only competitor in steam models at the time was Bachmann, who by then had four tank engines available in their 'Blue Riband' range (56xx, 57xx, 3F 'Jinty' and BR std 4MT 2-6-4T) . Hornby 'went for it' competitively, with a model still as good as may be found in OO: all of dimensions, appearance, fine detail and finish, competent mechanism, are present.

This model got a very warm reception on the now long extinct MREmag. One quirky feature that was noted was what appeared to be no front spectacle plate frames or glazing: they are present, 'the crew' have them hinged up and latched inside the cab roof for extra ventilation. (Keen types can restore them to the normal position.) The major weakness was the very fine whistle moulded in soft plastic, you can knock it off very easily...

I was able to purchase one s/h at half price a couple of years later; even though a poor fit for my interest, I wanted to see how Hornby had laid out the mechanism for what is a difficult wheel arrangement. It rates 6/10 for the mechanism, marked down for taking up space forward with the decoder socket where as much ballast weight as possible should ideally be present, and pick up wipers rather than split axle current collection on the bogie; both sub-optimal choices where better solutions are obvious: the owner can correct this with a little work and the traction improvement is very marked.

But in original condition it proved able to reliably and realistically start and move 11 Bachmann mk1 coaches on truly level track, either end of the loco leading, pushing or pulling. Performance 'falls off a cliff' if any gradients are present, and at 'worst case' with the loco coupled wheels leading, it will pull two of these coaches up a 1 in 100, and there will be some slipping if the gradient has any variation. Altogether, used thoughtfully with regard to the wheel arrangement limitations, a neat model.

What has prompted this post all these years after first introduction to Hornby's range, is that yesterday evening a friend produced a s/h purchase for me to 'breathe on'. Same version as mine, R2505 no. 30031 BR late crest. I could see that something was odd about it, but just couldn't work out what (I was very tired, busy day behind me). Looked at again this morning and spotted the problem: the front buffer stocks were 'buried' in the bufferbeam. It looks like it has had an accident, possibly run at high speed into something, or had something heavy run into it; I doubt that it was dropped as it is otherwise externally immaculate. Whatever, dabs of solvent have fixed that, and we are good.)
D605Eagle

Re: Hornby Drummond M7 0-4-4T

Post by D605Eagle »

I know this is rather silly, but my favorite model as a child was the Tri-ang M7 tank, and when this one was released it showed up all the errors and total lack of decent detail of that model. But because it was my favorite, and I still love it because of that, I haven't bought any of the new M7s.
Bigmet

Re: Hornby Drummond M7 0-4-4T

Post by Bigmet »

I can see that. The H-D 8F was the only eight coupled goods available RTR in my youth, and in joint first place for appearance among their steam models; and while the current Hornby 8F is objectively a better model for appearance, it's in a long distant second place for that all important heavy freight characteristic, traction. (I am happily fitting H-D and Wrenn 8F bodies on the current Hornby mechanism, to give them the weight to perform as they should.) And I now have sufficient parts to make an all flanged H-D ringfield motor 8F, when time permits.