Used Hornby Class 66 - 66747 Newell & Wright

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
JickettyCan

Used Hornby Class 66 - 66747 Newell & Wright

Post by JickettyCan »

Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering what these locos are worth 2nd hand? Reason i ask is i bought one from a seller online as "New". Turns out not to be on examination of the wheels - which are always a giveaway..

Anyway i've seen plenty of people grumbling about them online and also how they don't seem to sell well when 2nd hand so from that POV with a new looking box it's easy money but this is clearly nothing like new and has a traction tyre that is very badly worn - literally has a bald spot on it.

I won't say how much i paid for it but what would the going rate have been 2nd hand?

Thanks
Bigmet

Re: Used Hornby Class 66 - 66747 Newell & Wright

Post by Bigmet »

It's worth what you are prepared to pay is the simple answer. From a private seller used but in good condition I'd suggest £30 tops. (It's very dated, reliant on traction tyres as it has the so last century drive by an unpower bogie, rather than the very competent centre motor drive.)

But do you want to take the chance on it given that it was passed off as new? Better to return for refund 'not as described'.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Hard to say but I have seen very good examples secondhand at retailers for the £45 to £50, but ebay prices will naturally be a lot less.
Retailer example.
https://elaines-trains.co.uk/index.php?pg=y
(She does check all her models and gives a good clear description of their condition).

As to "Like new", the problem is that to me it may be one thing and to someone else it may be something else.
I do not know what prices Ebay sellers sell them for but it will be naturally less than the retailers sell them for.
JickettyCan

Post by JickettyCan »

Mountain wrote:Hard to say but I have seen very good examples secondhand at retailers for the £45 to £50, but ebay prices will naturally be a lot less.
Retailer example.
https://elaines-trains.co.uk/index.php?pg=y
(She does check all her models and gives a good clear description of their condition).

As to "Like new", the problem is that to me it may be one thing and to someone else it may be something else.
I do not know what prices Ebay sellers sell them for but it will be naturally less than the retailers sell them for.
Well this one on ebay was a lot more than £45 - 50 lol. It also wasn't advertised as "Like New" but was advertised as "New".

I was a bit disgruntled to say the least - when the traction tyre is clearly worn away and the seller is passing it off as new, something's not right. I've been in touch.. will update you on progress as it happens.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Does seem on the high side.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

It is after all only a cheap Railroad model with a single bogie drive, plastic chassis and no lights so not worth much second hand. I believe they were only £75 new and I paid less than £70 on discount from my local model shop for Sunderland AFC version.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Never actually seen them new at that price but it wouldn't surprize me these days!
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Mountain wrote:Never actually seen them new at that price but it wouldn't surprize me these days!
They were selling them at £82 new in April. I bought mine from the batch before that.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have just realized something. In my mind I was thinking class 58 and not class 66. Had muddled things up so ignore my comments above. Class 66's are like a less powerful but cheaper to run class 59 (In real life. They are still powerful things though and more than adiquate for railway needs).
Excuse my mix up about classes because Hornby have been making the class 58 for years and this is the one I was thinking of. I know Lima made the class 59 before Lima ceased production. Did Hornby carry on the Lima 59 but in class 66 form? I believe they did. Never had one!
JickettyCan

Post by JickettyCan »

Well the seller did replace it with an identical model.. guess what? Also used!

Wheels are clearly dirty, traction tyres are worn, there's even scratches on the bottom of the bogies.

This hobby is worse than 2nd hand cear buying and selling - as long as it's got a box it's apparently "New". I'm utterly stunned.