You couldn't make it up.

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Bufferstop

You couldn't make it up.

Post by Bufferstop »

This month's "Railway Magazine" reports that Freightliner is replacing electric traction with diesel on fully electrified routes because of a surcharge on electricity prices. The reason for the surcharge, to pay for investment in green energy The mind boggles.

As there appears to be a lack of imagination in those who decide these things, How about this :-
Impose a tax on every diesel mile under the wires
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Re: You couldn't make it up.

Post by Mountain »

Shush! Don't suggest that or all our prices will go up and all the money will end up being given to the rich.
b308

Post by b308 »

Bufferstop wrote:As there appears to be a lack of imagination in those who decide these things, How about this :-
Impose a tax on every diesel mile under the wires
I'd rather they didn't! Most of our network is not under the wires, but some of it is, but it's spilt up into small-ish parts, not continuous, and the cost of retro fitting bi-modes is massive, even if it were practical. Better to sort out the diesel engines used to make sure they are as efficient and clean as possible and use bio-diesel, which is what is being done.

The rail companies have asked NR and the Government to review the charge, which as the article says is rather stupid and forces behaviour that is contrary to what they want. We shall see what happens, but we should also expect something soon on the roads to force motorists behaviour towards "greener" vehicles
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Not too soon, there will be a point in reducing numbers of ICE vehicles when the govt can't do without the road fund taxes, and I'm rather enjoying paying no RFT with a green flash on my plates.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions