New "Rocklike" substance.

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Bufferstop

New "Rocklike" substance.

Post by Bufferstop »

On a similar theme as CA Adhesive and Baking Soda, I've discovered a new rocklike material. I came across it whilst fixing our Dualit toaster, the lever that lifts the toast (no uncouth
ejecting with a dualit), it just didn't want to be raised. Taking off the baseplate I found a mechanism much the same as a point lever over centre spring. The lever had a coiled spring on its shaft which pressed on the rear of the faceplate biasing it away from the mid position to either up or down. The spring pressed on a couple of washers the larger of which pressed on the rear of the faceplate. It had obviously been lubricated when it was first assembled, some time in the 1980s, but now the grease had mixed with bread/toast crumbs and been baked many times over, it looked like rock/coal, was extremely hard and put up a real fight when I tried to remove it. A big flat screwdriver eventually won the battle.
So here's the recipe-
Wait until you have the house to yourself.
Take a large dollop of grease retrieved from overfilled Hornby or Bachmann gearsets,
and mix with bread/toast crumbs,
Spread in scale sized rock outcrops on a baking tray.
Place under a grill at full heat for as long as it takes to form hard black lumps,
Break up to suit once cooled enough to handle.
Open all doors and windows until the smell has cleared and deny all knowledge of what happened to the baking tray.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Re: New "Rocklike" substance.

Post by Bigmet »

The mineral oil perfume/flavour with the next grilled steak/chop/bacon/sausage, may see the powerful force of the Inquisition deployed. :wink:
"I accidentally put some plastic in the grill with the sausages." That might spare you the rack...
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

[quote="Bufferstop"
Open all doors and windows until the smell has cleared and deny all knowledge of what happened to the baking tray.[/quote]

Sorry Bufferstop, but that is useless advice. As I do all the cooking I will know what happened to the baking tray.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bufferstop wrote:... until the smell has cleared and deny all knowledge of what happened to the baking tray.
Why bother? :lol:
Cheers
Chris
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

I work in a kitchen and thankfully I keep our Dualit Six Slice toaster nice and clean and relatively crumb free :P

Although, we did have to replace the previous one two years ago as the lever snapped off so you couldn't raise or lower the toast launcher/lift.

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"