metcalfe brick terrain & suitable paint

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
aleopardstail

metcalfe brick terrain & suitable paint

Post by aleopardstail »

Have just tried painting the white edges of a bit of the Metcalfe brick print (where it won't show), have found the "dark red" from Vallejo is a bit too dark and a bit too red.

has anyone got any recommendations from their range for a brick red and a brick blue that are not bad matches for this sort of thing?
Ironduke

Re: metcalfe brick terrain & suitable paint

Post by Ironduke »

I often use Vallejo in a paint pallet and mix the colour to achieve the shade I want.
Regards
Rob
Evaret

Post by Evaret »

I have found that the color of the Metcalfe kits can change slightly fromm one batch to another. Also living in Australia I don't have access to may of the brands forund in the UK.

My solution has been to use watercolour pencils. You can use the pencil as a pencil! But my approach has been to shave some from the end and apply with a damp fine point brush. The brush needs to be just damp to touch; too wet and the paint runs

I have a selection of pencils. A couple you might try for the red brick are Derwent Terracotta 64 or Faber Castell Albrect Durer Indian Red 8200-192.

Good luck on your quest
aleopardstail

Post by aleopardstail »

Ironduke wrote:I often use Vallejo in a paint pallet and mix the colour to achieve the shade I want.
often mix when painting other models, usually shade and highlight effects, just wondered if there was a halfway good base to slightly lighten or darken