Some Silly Fun

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Dad-1

Some Silly Fun

Post by Dad-1 »

Am I a LMS fan ?
Well they did at one time, have a small locomotives policy.
I've Lost My Senses, a genuine LMS problem.

I was playing, Errr operating one of my shunting layouts and thought 'I have quite a few small locos'.
How Many ??? Small diesels & Tank Engines, 0-4-0; 0-4-2 and 0-6-0. Should we count in the Thomas locos ?
2 x 0-4-0 Thomas Range - Bill, Percy,
2 x 0-6-0 Thomas, Toby is sort of small so let's add him in.
10 x 0-4-0
3 x 0-4-2
14 x 0-6-0
That's 31 Locomotives, only 2 Non DCC, A Dapol Pug, plus a split chssis Bachmann 57XX.
Diesels win in the 0-4-0 category 7 to 3 steamers
Only steamers in the 0-4-2 type. 2 x 14XX, One a Caledonian Killin Pug from the Dean Sidings resin conversion for a Hornby 0-4-0.
Just 3 diesels in the 0-6-0's, 1 x 03, 1 x 04, 1 x 08
In with this lot the 3F Jinty is BIG.

How many is TOO many ? And don't ask how many 0-8-0, or 2-8-0's 'cos I've forgotten.

Geoff T
sparkhill

Re: Some Silly Fun

Post by sparkhill »

Not silly fun Great fun, being a small loco fan myself I can see why you enjoy your collection, my biggest is 0-6-0 but prefer the little Hornby 0-4-0s to anything, far less trouble than the Big'uns. :lol:
Regards
Nobby
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

You've forgotten your 0-4-4 Geoff assuming you still have it, one of my favourites! Forgive me, I can't remember if you ever finished it?
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Very similar story here I have a couple of 4-6-2s in the permanently retired stuff, in that which is either running or waiting it's turn to be got running I can count one solitary 4-6-0 and one 0-6-0 tender engines, everything else is either an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 tank or the diesel equivalents. I will admit to a trio of big diesels a Western, a Class 37 and a class 31, 2 DMUs Cl110 and 101 and a GW Flying Banana. It's the small stuff, the 0-4-0s and 0-6-0s that clock most of the mileage. If todays inbox can be believed There will be yet another 0-6-0 arriving tomorrow, No 9400 from the NRM at Shildon which will usurp its classmate and fellow survivor 9466 which is just about hanging together being a Lima body mounted on an early Bachmann 2251 split chassis, no sign of zinc rot but grinding along ever more noisy.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dad-1 wrote:Am I a LMS fan ? Well they did at one time, have a small locomotives policy...
Then again the GWR was always the small loco railway, the only group with the majority of its loco stock made up of tank engines. Elsewhere, tender locos comfortably outnumbered tank locos, roughly two to one. So if there are more tankies than tender locos...

There's a distinctive tank loco 'signature' of each of the Big Four too, by the time they had run the 25 year course of their existence.
The 0-6-0T was overall the most common UK tank engine type, except on the SR, where the 0-4-4T was the most common type. But if you look at the next most common tank loco type, then each of the other three groups is different:
In second place on GWR, the 2-6-2T,
In second place on LNER, the 0-6-2T,
In second place on LMS, the 2-6-4T.
Meister

Post by Meister »

You can't have too many 0-4-0s and 0-6-0s. I have a 'thing' about 0-4-0s in particular and gave up keeping track of how many I have a couple of years ago. In fact I have bought no other locomotives but 0-4-0s/0-6-0s for several years. What's not to like? Cute, relatively affordable, tend to be reliable and easy to maintain, plenty of choice these days and look right on a smaller layout. Nothing beats a good 0-4-0 plus a few dirty mineral wagons and a shabby brake van!