Kingspan insulation board

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
ICL

Kingspan insulation board

Post by ICL »

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience using kingspan to lay track on?

This is what I'm looking at:https://www.wickes.co.uk/Kingspan-TW50- ... m/p/180440

I have a 9mm ply baseboard which I am hoping to glue the insulation board onto for the track to sit on. I'm then going to cut down into the foam for rivers/roads/other scenery.

It has foil on which I presume needs to come off but before I go ahead I wanted to see if anyone has tried this and what effect it had, if any.

Thanks
ICL
Ironduke

Re: Kingspan insulation board

Post by Ironduke »

I've done that. I used woodlands scenics risers which gets the track off the baseboard and they make inclines very easy. The only thing I didn't like about that was having to put something over the gaps on top so I could ballast the track. Also, 50mm is a long way to go with wiring and cutting it isn't as easy as it sounds. I didn't end up going much below the surface in the end anyway. Mostly I built upwards using styrofoam packaging, which we always seem to have plenty of. Since then I've had better results raising the track by cutting out the track plan from the baseboard with a jigsaw.
If you do go that way I'm sure you can get styrofoam sheets without the foil.
Attachments
Photob018a.jpg
Photo010.jpg
Regards
Rob
ICL

Post by ICL »

Thanks Rob, that's really helpful. What is the foam underneath your risers in the picture? I'm really struggling to find large sheets that don't have a foil wrap of some kind so I might just use the risers under the whole track to raise it and then build around that using a mix of materials and techniques.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Sheets of the stuff went into the extension and remodelling of our house 12 years ago. It has an advantage over the styrofoam used in packaging, it doesn't release the thousands of little balls that come from packaging pieces and cling on to everything. The "dust" it produces feels slightly "gritty" but vacuums up ok. A 4' x 2' block of the 100mm stuff is just about self supporting if you want a lightweight portable board, just stick ply facings around the edges to take dowels and joiners.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

ICL wrote:What is the foam underneath your risers in the picture?
We have a company in Australia called Clark Rubber that sells all kinds of rubber and foam products. I would probably use the more rigid product described by Bufferstop if I did it now but
ICL wrote: I might just use the risers under the whole track to raise it and then build around that using a mix of materials and techniques.
I think I would rather do that instead. Or the jigsaw thing.
Regards
Rob