One more blood 'n' custard carriage needed!

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
muggins

One more blood 'n' custard carriage needed!

Post by muggins »

Having recently acquired a nice brand new 39-077B Mk1 BSK for it, my lovely K3-hauled main line train now needs just one more carriage to complete it. But alas I'm getting nowhere finding out exactly what's available, so I turn again to the experts ...

As it stands, the train consists of a Thompson Brake Comp Corridor, a Mk1 FK, a Mk1 TSO, a Mk1 CK and the aforementioned BSK. That leaves me OK for first class accomodation, but somewhat lacking in second/standard. So what can I get to correct the deficiency? It must be Bachmann, second/standard only, and it must be blood 'n' custard, but after that I'm not really fussed whether it's BR Mk1, Thompson or Stanier (porthole).
All suggestions gratefully receuved :)

ETA - I've just discovered that the TSO is available with different numbers, so one of those would do if I'm not likely to find anything else to fit the bill.
Bigmet

Re: One more blood 'n' custard carriage needed!

Post by Bigmet »

Mk 1 or Thompson SK, both have been available from Bachmann, but you will have to find one s/h I suspect. (A Stanier coach is unlikely, as it would in reality require gangway adaptors to fit with the Pullman gangways standard on ex-LNER and BR Vehicles.)

While I am not keen on the Hornby Gresley gangwayed coaches because of their marked failure to capture the bodyside profile correctly (compare to the Hornby Gresley non-gangwayed, with improved technique that's more like it!) a Gresley SK - or even an FK downrated to second - would be very likely in such an ER train. The LNER handed over way more Gresley than Thompson coaches to BR, and both types could be seen until BR finally eliminated LNER coach stock from traffic about 1977.
muggins

Post by muggins »

Cheers Bigmet. Thompsons were certainly uncommon in Lincolnshire in the late 50s/early 60s, except for summer excursions. Otherwise, IIRC the mainline stuff was invariably Gresleys and Mk1s.

As we've said before, it's a real PITA trying to find out what's what with previous Bachmann releases unless you have the part number, or at least know for sure that they did whatever it is you're interested in. There doesn't really seem to be a way to start with "Did Bachmann ever do a Wossname, and if so, what was the part number?" ...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Matters have suddenly improved in the Bachmann accessibility department. Having embarked on a complete pig's ear of a website design some years ago, replacing what had been a very simple and user friendly site, now it seems the error has been realised and a rather better site design has been introduced. Still a work in progress and not complete; but happily a return to the 'simple and user friendly' concept. https://www.bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway

Regarding past Bachmann product. There was a time when the old user friendly site hosted an enthusiast's compilation of all their past products. This was quietly dropped, after it was no longer updated from about 2010. (Whether the enthusiast's input ceased, or Bachmann realised that all it was doing was guiding potential customers toward second hand purchases which brought them no benefit, I know not. )

Whatever, caution required, Bachmann had a range of Thompson coaches introduced in 1991, that long predate the current product These were pretty unsophisticated with a dodgy roof profile, deeply recessed windows, plastic wheels, not the tidiest paint job and moulded on couplers in the early versions.
muggins

Post by muggins »

Blimey, whenever did they do that? :o

That's a bit better! Anyhow, thanks once again - and point noted about the old Thompsons. As it happens I've just this morning managed to locate a new TSO with a different number, so that's one more problem solved.