Hattons Account Deleted

What do you want from a model railway shop?
cumiasin

Hattons Account Deleted

Post by cumiasin »

Is anyone have any experience bought from Hatton's? Recently I bought from them and had got delivery issues (they don't print my address correctly so it takes more than 2 month), anyway the case is closed.

But 2 day's ago when I tried to log on to my account it's said my account is not registered. Is it the way they treat loyal and honest customer after someone complaints things?
account created on 2017
account created on 2017
email order/invoice confirmation
email order/invoice confirmation
they confirm my account did't exist
they confirm my account did't exist
registering (again) today
registering (again) today
empty history since 2017
empty history since 2017
Mountain

Re: Hattons Account Deleted

Post by Mountain »

Did you find that it was their computer system and the way the addresses concentrate on postcode rather then name? I find I can't order from Hattons though I love what they sell. I used to order fairly regularly but then they changed to a computer system to print address labels. As the village name is omitted with their computer system for my address, my things went to another address instead as the computer only puts the postal town where there is another house with the same name. I order from smaller firms who handwrite the addresses if I can to avoid this.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

You state that when you had problems 'They' didn't print your address correctly.

In all probability the best thing to do was delete that incorrect information so it
can't happen again.

They then have given you the chance to log in your correct details, providing a link
for you to use.

Did you respond to that ?

If not then what are you complaining about ?

If you did respond and it's still not working have you spoken to them about the
continued difficulty ? They are always most helpful.

As to Mountain's problem, yes things can go wrong when computer systems are
changed. However IF Mountain had given them the correct Post Code and this
was on the address lable, then a considerable amount of the blame must be with
the Post Office.

Geoff T.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Absolutely: post codes are quite tight area-specific. If the house name or number is correct, and the post code is correct too, the fault lies with the sorting office / post man.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Even with all the information correct it doesn't stop a lazy/stupid delivery driver leaving the parcel at the wrong address. In our village we have clear signs to show which road it is which didn't stop a complete moron delivery driver leaving a parcel at a neighbour's house who was away on holiday. This parcel was a high end TV which then spent two weeks out in the rain/snow utterly ruining it.

It was only when neighbour came home did he find the parcel thrown over his fence. He went around to see the person it was actually for and explained to them what had happened. They had been "screaming" at the supplier that it had not been delivered but they were insisting it had.

Nearly a month after and several phone calls to the courier by neighbour the wrecked parcel was collected. Actual recipient never got their TV and had to do a chargeback to recover their money.

I really do wonder how much money couriers and Royal Snail lose through staff to dim to understand an address.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Dad-1 wrote:You state that when you had problems 'They' didn't print your address correctly.

In all probability the best thing to do was delete that incorrect information so it
can't happen again.

They then have given you the chance to log in your correct details, providing a link
for you to use.

Did you respond to that ?

If not then what are you complaining about ?

If you did respond and it's still not working have you spoken to them about the
continued difficulty ? They are always most helpful.

As to Mountain's problem, yes things can go wrong when computer systems are
changed. However IF Mountain had given them the correct Post Code and this
was on the address lable, then a considerable amount of the blame must be with
the Post Office.

Geoff T.
This is the correct postcode. However, the computer systems take shortcuts and do not put the village name but put what they use as a postal town name instead, which is the other village along. In the other village is a house with the same name, hence if a parcels delivery company (Who does not associate our family sirname with the addresses) they deliver it to the wrong address as this village is not printed out because it makes the address too long for the computer to print it (I assume?)

For example. My address is:
HOUSE NAME,
THE ROAD NAME (Our lane has no name but there are only six houses here),
THE VILLAGE NAME,
THE COUNTY,
THE POSTCODE.

The computers use this format:
HOUSE NAME,
POSTAL TOWN (Which is the next village along),
THE POSTCODE.

Some of the better computer systems put in the road name but some don't.

Postmen and postwomen will know the differences as they call at every house every day so read the family names. We often used to deliver like this if someone didn't know the house number of a large housing area. We even would deliver witn some rarer examples where in a case where I knew the man by the mans knick name and just the village name. He used to call himself by his knick name! It was funny as they put him as a "Miss" as he was elderly so over the phone he may habe sounded like a lady as his voice was not that strong.

Those that deliver parcels may only deliver one every other month to a single address so won't remember the family sirnames. They go for the village name and the street and house name or number.
As a postman, we dis not deal with postcodes at our end. Postcodes were used to send the post to our sorting office. To the postman who actually delivers the post from the sorting office to the house it is irrelevent and means nothing.
Our postcode for this house is the same postcode exactly as about a third of the village down below and that now covers around 200 houses due to new housing sites. It covers an area of about two miles from one side to the other as they are all offshoots of a single country road. It is a wierd one and why no one round here bothers with the postcode lottery!

One amusing one to note.
Years ago we used to get yellow pages delivered once a year. This would be delivered by an individual who took the job to deliver them. Now about 20 years ago someone else used to do it so all the farms and amallholdings had them as each little lane would need to be explored.
Then about 15 years ago they stopped delivering them. Every year nothing. Then one day I noticed in a ditch piles of yellow pages with all our addresses on them. Every year since it would be the same. Mashed up and weathered yellow pageses in a ditch. I don't know if they still do them as we have not had them for years. :lol: (I would have to check with my mum as I have not noticed that we still get them. I think one year we did get one. It was noticeably shrunk to half the size. Are they still around? Probably microscopic today! )
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

mahoganydog wrote:Even with all the information correct it doesn't stop a lazy/stupid delivery driver leaving the parcel at the wrong address. In our village we have clear signs to show which road it is which didn't stop a complete moron delivery driver leaving a parcel at a neighbour's house who was away on holiday. This parcel was a high end TV which then spent two weeks out in the rain/snow utterly ruining it.

It was only when neighbour came home did he find the parcel thrown over his fence. He went around to see the person it was actually for and explained to them what had happened. They had been "screaming" at the supplier that it had not been delivered but they were insisting it had.

Nearly a month after and several phone calls to the courier by neighbour the wrecked parcel was collected. Actual recipient never got their TV and had to do a chargeback to recover their money.

I really do wonder how much money couriers and Royal Snail lose through staff to dim to understand an address.
An issue we have is that if the delivery firms use a sat nav it can take them here for the hamlet below as there is a large area all with the same postcode, and there is a footpath which satnavs think is a road and so there is a two mile drive to reach some properties... A mileout and a mile back to propertiss below us. Now the lady at the end of this lane has had no end of lorries and vans stuck in her drive who can't turn. She has had her drive blocked for a day or two wirh vehicles being rescued. All were following sat navs.

The postmen you see delivering to your house don't use postcodes as it means nothing to them. The postcodes are used to get the post to their sorting office and they take over from there as they have to learn the area they work in. Even then one can have the odd mistake. One council house area had a whole area of bungalows where the doors had been replaced and the residence could not be bothered to put new numbers up. They said it was up to the council. The postmen had pleaded with residents to even use marker pens. It was difficult as one house aas missing from the number sequence. Now by the time I took the job I disn't know about this missing house so for te whole summer every house had the wrong post by exactly a house out. I only did the job for one summer. I was on two meals a day. Breakfast and 30 minutes for lunch as it was very hard work with long shifts of 14 hours a day (The area had grown in the number of houses). I complained a few times... Nothing. Yet when I left they had to split the round into three and suddenly wanted me back! I had another job by then for the same pay so I said no.
Last edited by Mountain on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

We recently had a parcel delivered by Hermes, except it wasn't. The driver stopped outside our house, just to use our frontage to turn, then unbeknown to us threw the parcel over the locked gate of a house at the other end of the road. Shortly afterwards Hermes emailed to say the parcel had been left in (an unstated) safe place. Why did he bother driving up to our house if he wasn't going to leave the parcel there. Simple he pressed the delivered button on his hand held gizzmo which recorded the GPS co-ordinates as proof that he was there. The people from the other house turned up with the parcel later in the day, after they had found it. Fortunately it was a large trial bag of dry catfood, in a cardboard box and survived its flight and crash landing intact.
She has had her drive blocked for a day or two wirh vehicles being rescued. All were following sat navs.
We repeatedly get HGVs (usually foreign) ignoring the weight limit through our village as they have their sat-navs set to shortest not quickest. Drivers from abroad don't always understand that in Britain they aren't necessarily the same.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
End2end

Post by End2end »

This is what happens when you let algorithms take over! :roll:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

My wife had her Ocado account deleted a few weeks ago. Whilst it's not a great way to treat a customer, if there has been any sort of breach at either end, given the relatively weak security these companies use it's probably the best course of action, provided you can set up a new ID and password. If you had any pre-orders on your account I'd ask them if it's possible to reinstate them to your new ID.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Perhaps if Mountain used Royal Mail rather than couriers for deliveries from Hatton's
they may get there ?
I by preference always have Hatton's deliveries by Royal Mail. Living in a small community
the postal people are usually on the ball and although some have difficulties with our Postal
system it's always worked fine for me.
What you will find Hatton's are slow in sending goods by post, there may be a hidden agenda ?
Couriers are a different matter !!

Geoff T.
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

I also tend to opt for royal mail, because that way if i miss the parcel i can walk down the the collection office the next day to get it :lol:
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I choose Royal mail and Parcel farce if theirs a choice, their staff turnover is much smaller and you get to know them, and over the years even got to know the depot staff. The problems are always with the high turnover couriers.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Most UK firms who have a computerised address system use what's called a Post Office Address List. This is produced by RM \ PO based on Postal Codes. When I worked in IT, addresses that had either no road name or just a house name and no number caused all sorts of address verification problems.

Issues are 99% down to the POAL file not the merchant omitting anything. If couriers use Google Maps for deliveries via Post Code, Google Maps isnt always accurate either.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I once reported to Google that their " Nearest Station" was thirteen miles from the truly nearest one, but using g9bgle.com instead of google.co.uk, gave the right answer. They offered an explanation, it was due to the postcodes not being based on the grid used by OS maps.