New? Well, more of a Returnee.

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
N7jazzman

New? Well, more of a Returnee.

Post by N7jazzman »

Hello everyone. Sold all my HO French and German stuff years ago when starting a family. As time went on I saw, and couldn't resist, the wonderful r-t-r 00 locos and stock now being produced. So back to British modelling for me and now I need something to run the exquisite collection I seem to be amassing. I have just joined my local Club which has an extensive 00 layout where I can see my mainline stuff in action and meet fellow modellers. And I am about to embark on building an 11ft long fiddle yard to terminus so I can play around at home too.
I intend to make two baseboards from 9mm ply, braced with the same, and have experimented already with building track sections on a double layer of foam board with chamfered sides where a layer of PVA secures track and ballast, before securing it to it's final place on the (to be constructed) baseboard.
Currently I am weathering some locos and stock with brush and cotton buds applying enamels, affixing lamps, crews and decent coal. I find it curious that manufacturers go to such lengths to get the locos so authentic, yet the representation of coal is so cheapskate!
My interests are the Southern Region of the 50's and the Eastern Region of that era, strange partners but both were familiar to me in my childhood. I look forward to hearing about the projects others on this site are constructing.
Ex-Pat

Re: New? Well, more of a Returnee.

Post by Ex-Pat »

Welcome N7jazzman - no doubt this will be on your shopping list?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50944&hilit=Oxford ... 15#p650905
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Hi. This is a lovely forum filled with lovely people who like trains! Welcome.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hi N7jazzman. Welcome on board.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Welcome N7jazzman
I hope you enjoy yourself. There are some great people here and some fantastic modellers.
Phat Controller

Post by Phat Controller »

welcome N7jazzman from the southern hemisphere

I'm sure you'll glean lots of interesting stuff from this forum we are happy to share!
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

N7jazzman wrote:...I find it curious that manufacturers go to such lengths to get the locos so authentic, yet the representation of coal is so cheapskate!...
It is all part of the curiously inconsistent approach of most RTR manufacturers. Increasingly good appearance, finish, mechanisms of the models, but only now a very belated move toward much better OO track by Peco, and everyone else locked into dreadful 1950s design origin set track.

The coal high point was the 2006 release of Hornby's retooled Britannia. This was before the fad for sound took hold, so a full bunker interior was provided, and a packet of coal. Don't know whether Hornby persisted with this for this model...
Chops

Post by Chops »

Sounds delightful. Hope to see your accomplishments soon.
Nessie rocks!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Hi N7jazzman and welcome to the forum.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread