Tinwald Stock

Post anything here to do with Model Railway Photography

Moderator: saslord

Phat Controller

Tinwald Stock

Post by Phat Controller »

I thought I'd make a thread regarding the rolling stock I have acquired over the past few years since my layout was so viciously demolished by my ex's brats (who have now grown into young adults - so I can no longer give them a darn good thrashing)

I have somewhat embellished the pics to look "period" - hope you don't mind!
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)
Dublo

Re: Tinwald Stock

Post by Dublo »

Hi Tony
I may be a bit quick of the mark here but I can't find your photos.
Phat Controller

DSC_0377a.jpg
Bachman Class 08 D3032 & Goods
DSC_0380a - Copy.jpg
Bachmann Class 08 13238 & Coal Hopper

996 locomotives were produced, making it the most numerous of all British locomotive classes.The locomotives were built at the BR Works of Crewe, Darlington, Derby, Doncaster and Horwich between 1952 and 1962. As the standard BR general-purpose diesel shunter, the class became a familiar sight at major stations and freight yards. As of 2011, around 100 locomotives remain working on industrial sidings and on the main British network. On heritage railways, they have become common, appearing on many of the preserved standard-gauge lines in Britain, with over 60 preserved including the first one built.
DSC_0387a.jpg
Hornby CLASS J94 68020 Weathered & rake of coal wagons

The LNER had had trials with one in November 1945 and bought 75 of them in 1946, numbering them 8006-80. All entered British Railways (BR) service in 1948. BR added 60000 to their numbers so they became 68006-80, and classified them 4F. They were used for shunting in docks, and other similar work where their short wheelbase meant they could negotiate sharp curves. They were withdrawn between 1960 and 1967.
DSC_0433a.jpg
Bachmann Class37 D6984 Weathered & Grain Hoppers

The Class 37 became a familiar sight on many parts of the British Rail network, in particular forming the main motive power for Inter-City services in East Anglia and within Scotland. They also performed well on secondary and inter-regional services for many years. The Class 37s are known to some railway enthusiasts as "Tractors",[3] a nickname due to the agricultural sound of the diesel engine of the locomotive.

Despite all members of the build now being over 50 years old, over 60 locomotives are still mainline registered and remain active undertaking a variety of passenger, freight and departmental duties on the national rail network in 2018. Approximately 30 locomotives have been preserved.

Just a taste of my stock!!
Last edited by Phat Controller on Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)
Phat Controller

Dublo wrote:Hi Tony
I may be a bit quick of the mark here but I can't find your photos.
You're VERY quick!! I was still fiddling around with photobucket and what I was gonna tease you guys with! lol :lol:
Phat Controller

DSC_0444a.jpg
Bachmann BR 80032 2-6-4 4MT

The British Railways Standard Class 4 tank is a class of steam locomotive, one of the BR standard classes built during the 1950s. They were used primarily on commuter and outer suburban services. The Standard 4 tanks were originally allocated to all regions of British Railways, except the Western. There was a mass withdrawal of steam locomotive classes in the 1960s, The final nine were withdrawn from the Southern Region on 9 July 1967
DSC_0459a.jpg
Bachmann Class 25 D5237 & D5269 Weathered

In total, 327 locomotives of this type were built between 1961 and 1967.The Class 25 locos were primarily designed for freight work, but a significant number were fitted with boilers for heating passenger trains. Nicknamed the Rats, as it was alleged they could be seen everywhere in Britain, the final Class 25 locomotive was withdrawn from service in March 1987.

DSC_0355a.jpg
Hornby Class 9f 2-10-0 Weathered with rake of tank wagons

The Class 9F was the last in a series of standardised locomotive classes designed for British Railways during the 1950s, and was intended for use on fast, heavy freight trains. The class earned a nickname of 'Spaceships', due to its size and shape. The total number built was 251. Withdrawals began in 1964, with the final locomotives removed from service in 1968. Several examples have survived into the preservation era in varying states of repair, including Evening Star.
Last edited by Phat Controller on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phat Controller

DSC_0341a.jpg
Hornby Q1 0-6-0 33015 & Compressor Van
DSC_0342a.jpg
In 1942 the class was designed by Oliver Bulleid for use on the intensive freight turns experienced during wartime on the Southern Railway network. A total of 40 locomotives were built. The class lasted in service until July 1966, Nicknames for the class included "Ugly Ducklings", "Coffee Pots" , "Charlies", "Biscuit Tins", "Biscuit Barrels", "Clockworks" and "Frankensteins".
DSC_0347a.jpg
Heljan D5382 Class 27 with Queen Mary Brake Van
DSC_0348a.jpg
and again

69 diesel locomotives were built during 1961 and 1962. They were a development of the earlier Class 26. The Class 27s were actually outlived by the older Class 26s, whose less powerful engines were more reliable. The last in service was officially withdrawn on 19 August 1987.
Last edited by Phat Controller on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phat Controller

DSC_0364a.jpg
Heljan D5312 Class 27
DSC_0365a.jpg
with a rake of weathered Palethorpes Vans
DSC_0370a.jpg
Bachmann S68006 Class419/MLV

Class 419 Motor Luggage Vans (or MLV) were battery electric multiple unit cars built from 1951-61. Ten of these units were built for the boat trains. The units were also fitted with batteries to allow them to operate over the short-distance of non-electrified line at the quayside. They were withdrawn from traffic in 1991/92, with the end of the boat train services.
DSC_0371a.jpg
with rake of 2 Southern Coaches

All except two of these units have been preserved. One unit was scrapped after an accident whilst in service, and the other was scrapped in preservation.
Last edited by Phat Controller on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phat Controller

DSC_0396a.jpg
Bachmann Class 105 2 Car DMU Set

Class 105 diesel multiple units were built from 1956 to 1959. The class were built with a side profile identical to British Railways Mark 1 carriage stock, using the same doors and windows. The last passenger car was withdrawn from service in 1988.

DSC_0402a.jpg
Lima D5500 Class 31
DSC_0403a.jpg
and again with 12 wheel Dining Car & Restaurant Car

Class 31 diesel locomotives, also known as the Brush Type 2 and originally as Class 30, were built from 1957 to 1962. Nicknamed "Skinheads" "Gurglers" and "Toffee Apples". Around 26 locomotives have been purchased, and preserved, for use on heritage railways around the UK.
DSC_0399a.jpg
Lima Southern "Flying Cucumber" (cos it's Green :D )

DSC_0400a.jpg
and again Lima W30W

In 1933, the Great Western Railway introduced the first of what was to become a very successful series of railcars, which survived in regular use into the 1960s. The original design featured streamlined bodywork, which was very much the fashion at the time. 38 cars were built. Only three railcars have survived into preservation.
Last edited by Phat Controller on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phat Controller

DSC_0406a.jpg
Lima D5830 Class 31
DSC_0407a.jpg
and again with rake of Parcels Vans

Construction of the first locomotive was completed in the final week of September 1957, and the handing-over took place on 31 October. The Class 31 entered service in November 1957, after the launch of the Class 20 locomotive and was one of the Pilot Scheme locomotives ordered by British Railways to replace steam traction.
DSC_0416a.jpg
Lima D1521 Class 47
DSC_0417a.jpg
and again with rake of Southern Passenger stock

A total of 512 Class 47s were built between 1962 and 1968, which made them the most numerous class of British mainline diesel locomotive, and have been used on both passenger and freight trains on Britain's railways for over 50 years. Despite the introduction of more modern types of traction, a significant number are still in use, both on the mainline and on heritage railways. As of September 2018, 80 locomotives still exist as Class 47s.
Last edited by Phat Controller on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
minipix

Post by minipix »

That's some hefty vignetting there. Nice and atmospheric, though it does make it harder for us to see the details - it's all a bit dark! Personal preference I guess.

Nice to see a Q1 in the collection. I know some people think they're ugly, but I've taken quite a shine to them myself.
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound
Phat Controller

minipix wrote:That's some hefty vignetting there. Nice and atmospheric, though it does make it harder for us to see the details - it's all a bit dark! Personal preference I guess.

Nice to see a Q1 in the collection. I know some people think they're ugly, but I've taken quite a shine to them myself.
If you click on the pics they will enlarge, so you can see them better.

I've chosen to use a filter to gain some atmosphere, purposefully, the details I thought I didn't really need to show as they are "out of the box" models, with really no modifications, other than some being weathered. The "normal unfiltered pics were rather stark and boring.

As for the Q1's I love them too and I have 6 of them!! 33002/33006/ 33009/ 33013/ 33015/ 33017 which will be shown later on when I get them out of the box

You either love them or hate them, I'm the former as I love the history behind them, and they were the work horses of the Southern lines, right up until the mid 60's - not bad for an austerity loco that was considered expendable after the war.

Pics of 33013 Filtered and Unfiltered
DSC_0343a.jpg
DSC_0344.JPG
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hello Tony
I was so eager to see your photos, not only did I jump that gun but several artillery pieces as well.
A lovely collection of engines and nice atmospheric shots too. Well done, please keep them coming.
Phat Controller

Thanks Dublo. My fault too I was too eager to get them on that I forgot how photobucket worked and how to get pics on this thread!! As you can see I figured it out but not after a delay - a bit of brain freeze!!

I've got a lot more to "show n tell" I got quite a bit carried away whilst recuperating, kind of like sending parcels to myself so I had something to do. I'd see something I'd like and by it. Didn't help when you've got $$$ in the bank and you're sitting at home "bored as blue blazes" waiting for wounds to heal.

Anyways more to comes hope you all enjoy as I have!
Last edited by Phat Controller on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phat Controller

DSC_0426a.jpg
Lima 47522 Doncaster Enterprise (one of my fav Class 47's)
DSC_0427a.jpg
and again with her typical rake of parcels vans

This is one of my loco's that I have on the layout that is out of the era but I love it anyway and will have to find some excuse to have it side by side with Q1's etc

The 512 members of the class 47 underwent many changes in their long career on British railways. Under the TOPS system each change was reflected in a change of identity. D1105 was designated 47522 Doncaster Enterprise
Last edited by Phat Controller on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phat Controller

ok where did I get too? ahh that's right

more diesels
DSC_0480a.jpg
Lima D814 Class 42 Warship Dragon, very weathered, battered and beaten,
DSC_0481a.jpg
with a "blood n custard" SK coach in tow

D814 was introduce in Jan 1960, retired 7 Nov 1972, and cut up 20 Feb 1974 at Swindon - 12 years seemed to be their lifespan. Prejudice against hydraulic transmission in the higher echelons of BR's engineering divisions decreed in 1967 that all the diesel-hydraulics were non-standard and should be withdrawn as soon as possible. Several of the BR Class 42s soldiered on into 1972 and the last were withdrawn by the end of the year.

Lima D1016 Class 52 Western Gladiator, weather beaten, but still pulling duty

now assigned with a rake of carmine coaches

D1016 was built at Swindon Feb 1963 and saw service until scrapped in Aug 1977 at BREL Swindon - their useful lifespan was just slightly more than the Class 42's being around 15 years. 74 large Class 52 diesel-hydraulic locomotives were built for the Western Region of British Railways between 1961 and 1964. All were given two-word names, the first word being "Western" and thus the type became known as Westerns.
DSC_0486a.jpg
Lima D1071 Class 52 Western Renown in need of some TLC
DSC_0487a.jpg
assigned duty puling an engineers mess coach into position

D1071 was built at Crewe Nov 1963 - in Jan 1967 it was involved in a accident that saw it rear end D1067 Western Druid which resulted in very severe damage to the leading cab of locomotive D1071. Three men in the cab escaped injury by moving into the centre of the locomotive. Nineteen passengers required medical treatment but there were no fatalities or serious injuries. D1071 was repaired and returned to service until scrapped in Nov 1978 at BREL Swindon a 15 year existence. Western Druid 1067 was scrapped 2 years prior in Sept 1976 at BREL Swindon [source - Wikipedia]
Last edited by Phat Controller on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.