Led's

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Dublo

Led's

Postby Dublo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:28 am

Hello

I don't know if this is of any interest but Poundland at the moment are selling "strings" of 20 small Leds running off 2 x AA batteries.

Mountain

Re: Led's

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:04 pm

How much do they cost? Not sure if we have a Poundland near here. I think I've seen one. Will keep my eyes open.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:26 am

Mountain wrote:How much do they cost? Not sure if we have a Poundland near here. I think I've seen one. Will keep my eyes open.

Hi Mountain

They cost a pound 20 mini Leds plus battery box with on/off switch.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:11 pm

Apparently "How much is that" is the most asked question in Poundland shops 8)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:33 pm

They dont price most of their items.

D0260

Postby D0260 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Poundland used to be a 'pound' to purchase, but it no longer is , and there are lots of occasions where the item is unpriced. Last week I picked an unpriced pack of 4 marker pens, went to the self checkout as that was all I had - and there was a pound in back pocket.. £2 please said the till, and the assisstant - they nearly were left behind .. to me its verging on trickery to call yourself Poundland, not price items that are more than a pound , and not disclose the item cost until you are being hastled at the till by a long queue of customers.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:20 pm

You have to watch the Coops like mad in my area.. They often put two for one offers on a product but the actual two for one item will be a different sized packet and it will be in a totally different location in the shop, and where it is won't be listed as two for one. So customers buy the expensive versions of the product and buy two when they only needed the one.
Another ploy they do there is to not price a certain item which one expects to be cheap, so one picks it up and when it goes through the till it is triple the price of the other similar priced items nearby. They do it on purpose in one of my local Coops. Even my mum who knows the ins and outs of the deception in their stores has got caught out because she can't read the small print next to their offers. Its sad as they lose customers that way as who wants to shop in a place they can't trust?

While I avoid Tescos and Wilkinsons because both local stores and others in the area assume all customers to be thieves unless they show signs of wealth like new clothes or wear a suit etc, the trophy must go to one shop I went in a few years ago. I picked up a basket at the front of the shop and bought just four or five items. The bill came to about double that I expected so I queried it there and then. Part of the bill was for the purchase of the store basket! The lady at the checkout said most customers leave without the basket and they put them back at the front of the store to resell them.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:46 am

A common "deception" in one of our major supermarket chains is to price a 0.5 kg item very cheaply and then stack the shelf with the grossly more expensive 1.0 kg version of the item on the shelf space reserved for the cheaper 0.5 kg item. One usually looks at the price adjacent the item on "special" and does not notice that the price is applicable to the lesser weight item and not the item on the shelf.

When barcoding was initiated many, many years ago individual items were not priced anymore and so one takes notice of the price displayed on the shelf adjacent the product. If it was merely a stores assistant occasionally incorrectly stacking the shelf then that would not explain the regularity with which it occurs.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:13 am

Very very occasionally it works the other way around. When we were doing a major refurbishment on the house, we put all of "the best" crockery into store and just kept a few day to day items with us. Once the work was over we went to a well know Swedish store to stock up on everyday table-ware. We took our trolley load to the checkout and on the way between the checkout and the car my calculations started to catch up and I was sure we'd been undercharged. So when we got home I checked the till receipt very closely and found it. We had been charged for one rather than 10 side plates. Found the plates still in the box they came in. Each plate had a barcode label on it, and on the end of the box it was marked 10 X (space for label), Their scanner had read the label whilst it was pointing away from the operator so she hadn't key'd the X 10. Somehow I didn't feel the slightest bit guilty in not pointing out to them their elementary mistake. The box of ten should have had a different barcode of it's own. That's over ten years ago and they don't seem to have suffered any financial harm from that bit of ineptitude.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:17 pm

Before it shut down our local pound store started to introduce 'specials' - items that cost more then a pound. They would not price them very well, its only when i went in and picked up some after eights that i assumed would be a pound but they went through at three that i noticed.

Its easy to see what they are up-to, if your doing a larger shop you may not notice a few extra quid here or there :evil:

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:38 am

Similar to the Ikea error, a friend of mine in Cyprus had a slab of beer from Llidl, placed one can on the belt and called attention to the slab in the trolley. You guessed it he got a slab of 24 beers for €0.44.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

Return to “New discoveries???”