Dapol OO Gauge GWR Large Prairie & GWR Mogul.

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
sir hayden

Dapol OO Gauge GWR Large Prairie & GWR Mogul.

Post by sir hayden »

I'm honestly surprised no one made a topic about this on here yet.

https://www.dapol.co.uk/Proud-to-announ ... Locomotive

https://www.dapol.co.uk/Proud%20to-anno ... Locomotive

Edited by Admin to fix faulty second link "h" missing from https
Mountain

Re: Dapol OO Gauge GWR Large Prairie & GWR Mogul.

Post by Mountain »

It is beautiful news for both the manufacturer and the customers and they will be welcome I'm sure.:)
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

I've actually got all of the sound fitted models for both loco classes announced pre-ordered on Hattons already, gonna be savin up for a while.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Some who very definitely know their Swindonions have picked up on significant inaccuracies in exterior appearance in the first CADs that have been shown. I have no view one way or the other, but these are people who on past evidence are worth listening to, and hopefully Dapol will attend to that...
Firefly16

Post by Firefly16 »

Probably a silly question but, where will they be made?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

China in my opinion. Ask Dapol directly via their site and see what they reply.
UrbanHermit

Post by UrbanHermit »

I've always wanted a GWR mogul, but fought shy of the old Bachmann one because of the split chassis. I just hope this one does actually reach the shops before I'm too old and incapable.

I'm not surprised they're doing the two together, as they were essentially tank and tender versions of the same engine, apart from the moguls having the fatter No 4 boiler while the prairies had the No 2 (except the 3150 series which had the No 4).
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

I hope they fix the errors that RMweb's Miss Prism pointed out to them on the Dapol Digest topic of the two announcements, as I want the people at Dapol to get the Prairies looking accurate as I have been waiting for a current standard release of them and the Mogul for a while.
6C

Post by 6C »

Hopefully a source of chassis spares - for my Airfix Prairies and Mainline Moguls :!: :wink:
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
6C

Post by 6C »

Hattons report:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.asp ... gulPrairie

TBH - some of the RMWeb comments look fairly typical - didn't have that on the GWR version etc. - these are the only pics so far released - so will take a lot of them with a pinch of salt - as with most 'comment' on there - they are quick to jump on and marmalise - but often non-existent/very quiet when proved wrong/presumptive of have jumped the gun...

Come on Dapol - next stage please ! :wink: :D
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

WOOOOF !!!

I'm all over this, my favourite loco !!

I asked on RMWeb (before I was band) if Bachmann would ever make a 61XX to the standard of their 45XX and 55XX. I was told I was an idiot and should be quite (I'm paraphrasing).

I have a highly modified Hornby 61xx with 60:1 gears, mashima motor and big flywheel. She runs as well as anything modern 00 can offer, but what of her once the new Dapol one comes out :( :o
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

My attitude would be that a loco that runs well is still a loco that runs well, and if it looks right for what it is representing then it stays in operation.

I am certainly not going to retire my good kit N7 when the Oxford model comes out, it is a very specific portrait of one of the Hatfield allocation of 'Swedeys' and was driven by a near neighbour to boot. The Oxford item will allow me to rebuild the old mechanism, it's very worn from being the only reliable N7 currently available for operation. (The much less good kit N7, now that will almost certainly be mostly hidden in the shed as static scenery, as it is pretty hopeless for accuracy, based on the first version of the Wills kit. I had started work on brushing it up when the Oxford announcement was made, and stopped doing anything at that point. It's possible I will saw the back end off and just have that poking out of the shed on view, as a space saver.)
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

I've just put my pre-order in for the 61xx :D

Hopefully it will be nice, run well and be a good match for the Bachmann 45xx and 55xx, I'm sure it will be :D

Heaven knows when the model will be ready, 12 months I guess??
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dapol say Q1 2019, so that would be anything up to 15 months from now. They may surprise us yet, but Dapol's performance in predicting release dates of OO product has been very patchy.

Since they got back into tooling all new OO product in 2008, they have totally failed to deliver a significant number of models, some ending up produced by other manufacturers, some still awaited.

The small B4 0-4-0T was announced nearing four years ago with a similar 'year and a bit' timescale to going on sale and has had repeated postponements, now proposed to be available Q1 2018. And here's what I posted in 2014 immediately after the announcement.
Bigmet wrote:Heard it all B4 from Dapol. Wonderful products coming that will place them B4 all other OO makers. Believe it when you see it, and not B4.
I feel that was a fair comment. My take would be 'don't hold your breath while waiting'.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

How long was the class 68 in gestation for? Dunno about the 122 but the GWR 'nana if I remember was announced as the same time as the class 73 which has been out for some time now. How about the D600s? must be 8 years now since that was announced and still to be seen although I'm sure we will as they have EPs running of it.