Which ORIGINAL Manufacturer of Building is This ?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Hornchurch

Which ORIGINAL Manufacturer of Building is This ?

Post by Hornchurch »

'

As per title, does anyone know "who" made this 'modern bungalow' plastic railway building, pictured below (years ago) ????

I ask, as I'd like to know the reference number & maker, to see "if" I could re-acquire one next-year.

I had one of these (the exact same one), along with some other quality buildings of the same ilk.

Whilst it WAS back on the turn of the very late 1960's & early 1970's, the maker escapes me !

There was a warehouse (with tall-chimney), made by the same company (which I refered to in my intro' thread)

I originally wrote...

"That re-fueled the fire (& interest) & around that time, I acquired some truly wonderful coloured-plastic-injection-molded buildings !
(perhaps you guys who are FAR more knowledgeable, can point me in the direction as to WHO they were manufactured by ?)

I had a cream-coloured factory, with a Black-roof & tall chimney (w/Skylights), a lush White-bungalow with a grey-roof * blue or green doors.
Plus a double-fronted shop/office-block, with "Co-Operative Society" frontage, with bay-windows"

OK, OK, = So the roof WASN'T "Grey", but it WAS some 45 years ago ! :lol:

If anyone can steer me in the right direction, I'd be grateful....
('BigMet' & 'Bufferstop', here's your queue guys :wink: )

I'd LOVE to know about that "injection-molded" warehouse/factory building even more, but, as yet, haven't come across a picture (of it).

Please excuse the 'blurring' on these close-up's, as I DID NOT take these pix , but they DO illustrate the actual bungalow scenery model I wanted to inquire about.

bungalow.....800pixels.jpg
bungalow.....800pixels.jpg (120.75 KiB) Viewed 2684 times

bungalow.....800pix.jpg
bungalow.....800pix.jpg (84.67 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
bungalow - BACK END OF.jpg
bungalow - BACK END OF.jpg (100.88 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
bungalow.....800pixels.jpg
bungalow.....800pixels.jpg (120.75 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
End2end

Re: Which ORIGINAL Manufacturer of Building is This ?

Post by End2end »

I would say that looks like a POLA building or at a stretch a FALLER or LIMA one.
By the look of it (not the building per say but the moulding) I'm almost sure its European.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
End2end

Post by End2end »

Just looking on the bay, it may alos be a KIBRI.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Hornchurch

Post by Hornchurch »

End2end wrote:I would say that looks like a POLA building or at a stretch a FALLER or LIMA one.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
'

Cheers E.2.E - I have a vague feeling that it MIGHT be a 'FALLER' offering, although with my EXTREME scant knowledge of model-railway(ing), I've always felt their offerings are usually noticably more 'Teutonic' (understandably), so I'm still not 100% swayed.

My Mother bought these from a superb Toyshop in Chadwell Heath, Romford, circa 1969/1970, with a date possibility up till as late as 1972ish, IIRC.

Whilst I've got a scant knowledge of certain Lima products, I don't recall that they were marketed in our part of London/Essex, back then.
(at the 'radar-scanning' age of 10, I reckon I'd've heard of 'em, but I hadn't, at that time).

"Pola" is a new one on me.... (blushes with embarrassment ! :lol: )

What I do most certainly recall "is" that the quality of the injection-molded plastic was strong, tough & excellent (for it's time).

The "Factory/Warehouse" (in Cream & Black), was my favourite, after the (superb), Church with chimes, but I've been able to source that Church since.
( as Hornby R.299 , but without the grass-flock-base & superb clockwork-chimes !!!!!)

The Factory's sharp-angled Black roofing had large (stripe/framed), glazed windows, too, as well as sharp-molded Black guttering.

Wish to heck I knew who made it, so I could search-out, seek & acquire another one (the same).
End2end

Post by End2end »

AHA! I've found it! :D
It's actually a TRIANG product.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-HO-Gauge-T ... SwP~tW5r8m

Also listed here in a group
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-HO-JOB-LOT ... SwtnpXlhFe

Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

And one last possibility.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLA-370-HO-S ... OPST5oCEkw
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

RealEstate only ever got lukewarm support from Triang, it hung around for a while and was then reborn as Model Land. Which fared only slightly better.
I found this list. It certainly never got the marketing effort that they have put into Skaledale. I think the availability of the Superquick range which didn't look plasticky was part of the problem. I'll admit to remembering "Real Estate" but I can't remember any reviews or promotions for "Model Land".
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Hornchurch

Post by Hornchurch »

End2end wrote:
AHA! I've found it! :D It's actually a TRI-ANG product.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-HO-Gauge-T ... SwP~tW5r8m

End2end
'

Well played that man, for sleuthing down the product AND code, etc ~ As they say.... "Nailed it" !!!!!!!!!

San-Fernando Valley sounds about right, (looking at it's kinda "Tex-Mex-Am" styling), as it's architecture certainly DOESN'T look very 'English' :wink:

So, = "TRI-ANG No.11" eh ? = ( hinting that there are a multitude more that I either don't know about, or yet to find ).

As I type this, I'm beginning to get (yet), another (very), STRONG hunch THAT particular "FACTORY/WAREHOUSE" I'm looking for IS part of this series.

Makes sense, as, back in the "Glory-Days" of Tri-Ang**, they seemed to have a strong distribution network here in the U.K.

( **Being a British-firm, IIRC, either derived from, or to do with the now legendary "Lines Bros" ?).

Man, I have a terrible "bad enough" crush on FROG (aircraft) kits from my youth, so they & (I presume), parent company Tri-Ang are kinda mythical & Golden-Era (Rose-Tinted), in my (clearly), biased & fawning 'fan-club' jaded view. 8) 8)
Was obssesed with the FROG - A.W.Whitley, Fokker D.21 & it's Martin.B.26 Marauder, of which I've acquired an absolute 'minter' recently, purely for nostalgia.

I even had a Tri-Ang board game (brilliant), from Tri-Ang called "Helmsman" ~ A Yachting lovers board game, with 'complicated' rules for an Adult, never mind a 10-year old (laughs !)

I even have my old Tri-Ang engines & Freightliner set, so, with the Footbridge ('Bluecol'/'Ever-Ready') & a few bits, it makes sense...
(that these buildings are Tri-Ang derived)

Must be honest - It goes to show that even with my pretty-good 45-year memory ( = Loss, in this instance !), I never recalled Tri-Ang doing buildings.

Once again E.2.E = Many thanks mate, for tracking it down & for making a start (even if, wide of the mark), on the Factory/Warehouse building.

Look forward to someone !00% positively identifying that one, too. ~ P.S, = it had an upturned-conical "smoke diffuser" on it's tall Black chimney !
Hornchurch

Post by Hornchurch »

Bufferstop wrote:
RealEstate only ever got lukewarm support from Triang, it hung around for a while and was then reborn as Model Land. Which fared only slightly better.
I found this list. It certainly never got the marketing effort that they have put into Skaledale. I think the availability of the Superquick range which didn't look plasticky was part of the problem. I'll admit to remembering "Real Estate" but I can't remember any reviews or promotions for "Model Land".
'

STAR-PLAYER, BUFFERSTOP !!!!!!!!!

This is DEFINITELY IT !!!!!!!!!!

~ RML65 - Factory Power House

Bizzarely, once I'd clicked on your (Brilliant), link, for this list of (excellent) buildings, the Yellow-Star on my 'Favourite Bookmarks' became illuminated !

Turns out I'd "saved" the link on my 'Bookmarks', but quite some long time ago....... circa FOUR years, as my laptop is 2012, well, this one is !

Much obliged for drawing it to my attention, Buffer :wink:

TBH, I must have something like around 2,000 Bookmarks & Gawd knows just how many folders !!!!!!!

I'd stored (the link), inside a folder which is mostly dedicated to stuff regarding the Short Stirling Bomber (a/c), as my Desktop P.C. went 'Blue-Screen' in 2012.

Honest, without your post (& link), I'd never have found it in a month of Sundays (x 10), so, cheers once again !

I now have a "new" plastic Holy-Grail on E-bay.... That is, "if" the world & his Dad (now suitably alerted), don't beat me to it !!!!!!! :roll: :lol: :lol:
End2end

Post by End2end »

No problem Hornchurch. Glad to be of help. :)
Just looking at Bufferstops link, I wonder if this is the factory your looking for?
RML65

Thanks also Bufferstop. I never knew that list existed. :)
Thanks
End2end

Edit. I think we were posting at the same time. :lol:
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Hornchurch

Post by Hornchurch »

End2end wrote:
No problem Hornchurch. Glad to be of help. :)
Just looking at Bufferstops link, I wonder if this is the factory your looking for?

RML65

Thanks also Bufferstop. I never knew that list existed. :)
Thanks
End2end .............. Edit. I think we were posting at the same time. :lol:
'

:lol: Yeah, we evidently were mate !!!!!!!!

Am chuffed to bitz ~ You guys have to realise that I've ONLY JUST got back into Model-Railways , pretty-much since May/June this year....

So, basically, one helluva long lay-off ~ Long enough to forget that link, anyhow.

I'm certain I'd bookmarked it because I wuz literally "pining" for that ol' model Church, with Chimes.

= Which I now know to be..... RML17 - Village Church (with chimes)

Clearly, this EXACT kit/building/structure, re-emerged some 40-years later as Hornby R.299 ~ (Of which I purchased two)

Evidently, this was the old tooling-mold "re-surfacing", but without the luxury of the "Flock" base & superb clockwork chimes (sadly).

I now "know" = That's the very reason as to 'why' I'd Bookmarked Buffer's link/site, back in 2012, as that would be when I bought R.299.

All makes sense now.... but sadly, it also adds to my confirmation that I'm a likely candidate for early onset Alzheimers !

Does anyone know "if" the (latterday equiv'), mold/mould for RML65 - Factory Power House , still survives & is indeed, still marketed & if so, under which banner ?

End2end

Post by End2end »

Not sure how close you are to Essex but if Ebay is a loss you could try a toy/train fair.
I have visited and bought quite a few bits and pieces from a few SRP Toy/Train fairs who host 2 fairs in Essex (amongst other southern counties).
http://srptoyfairs1.co.uk/
2 coming up in Essex are the 4th and 29th of December.
If you scroll to the bottom of the page you can see the Essex fairs. There are also some fairs in Northern Kent including Dartford depending how far you want to travel.
Also another list of possible swapmeets / fairs where you may.....er.....fair better? :lol:
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/swapmeets
One thing I've noticed. Items at these kind of fairs are a LOT cheaper than 2nd hand items at places labelled as an "Exhibition" at which, I always seem to find much more new items than used but I haven't been to too many exhibitions only coming back (or should that be starting as at 14 I was just a trainset owner lol) to the hobby in 2014 not knowing much at all.
Hope it helps.
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Dropping in. On the "San Fernando house" I was sure I had seen something very similar as vintage US kit, and had a quick look.https://www.vintagetoys.com/toys/classified/1470 The chimneys...

I wonder if a few other "not too foreign" US kits got repackaged?
"Plasticville" was the name I recalled.

Interesting..
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auct ... f8004bc3be

The "car play" name seems even rarer.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Someone's got most of it, if not all of it
From this site: http://www.alresford-toy-trains.org.uk/
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."