Heljan early BRCW type 2 (Class 26/0)

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Heljan early BRCW type 2 (Class 26/0)

Post by Bigmet »

Been a few months since these came out,and I have finally stirred myself to get one. The prototype had a short spell on KX area suburban services as the Big Mets, Swedey Mets, B1s and L1s were phased out, and while sufficient Brush type 2 (class 30) were being built, some of the BRCW type 2s were drafted into cover for about a year, before going on to their intended location which was Scotland.

Looks right, runs with the accustomed sweetness of the Heljan BoBo chassis, (and will I am sure perform immaculately with the Lenz Standard decoder it will be fitted with).

So that's it, the full set of regular diesel power from RTR for the KX area around 1960: 03, 08, 15, 20, 21*, 23, 24, 26, 30, 40, DP1, 105. A class 16 may be acquired as they turned up occasionally before breaking down, and I have a 25 to represent an occasional appearance on ECS from LMR. But otherwise that's it, all done. Hooda thunk it?
* OK it's a modifed Hornby 29's body parts running on a Bach 25 mechanism, but it's all from RTR parts.
trainlover23

Re: Heljan early BRCW type 2 (Class 26/0)

Post by trainlover23 »

Bigmet wrote:Been a few months since these came out,and I have finally stirred myself to get one. The prototype had a short spell on KX area suburban services as the Big Mets, Swedey Mets, B1s and L1s were phased out, and while sufficient Brush type 2 (class 30) were being built, some of the BRCW type 2s were drafted into cover for about a year, before going on to their intended location which was Scotland.

Looks right, runs with the accustomed sweetness of the Heljan BoBo chassis, (and will I am sure perform immaculately with the Lenz Standard decoder it will be fitted with).

So that's it, the full set of regular diesel power from RTR for the KX area around 1960: 03, 08, 15, 20, 21*, 23, 24, 26, 30, 40, DP1, 105. A class 16 may be acquired as they turned up occasionally before breaking down, and I have a 25 to represent an occasional appearance on ECS from LMR. But otherwise that's it, all done. Hooda thunk it?
* OK it's a modifed Hornby 29's body parts running on a Bach 25 mechanism, but it's all from RTR parts.
the desi

Surely they were what were to become 31s. The original class 30s were all allocated to Stratford and stayed from day one. The class changed from 30 to 31/0 and 31/1 up re engining
Bigmet

Re: Heljan early BRCW type 2 (Class 26/0)

Post by Bigmet »

There was nothing of what was to become class 31 until the re-engining of the original Brush type 2 (class 30) began from about 1964, as the original Mirrlees units were replaced with EE engines. Every single class 31 went into service as a class 30, as the production run of the class finished in 1962.