Curved Viaduct

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Hilux5972

Curved Viaduct

Post by Hilux5972 »

Hi all. I am looking to recreat Glenfinnan viaduct in OO gauge, albeit with flexible track at a somewhat tighter curve than Glenfinnan actually is. Does anyone know of any kits or kit parts that I could use to scratch build it? I have searched but no one seems to do curve parts. Just straight kits. One side would be to the back of the curve so I would only really need to do the visible side.
dubbleojon

Re: Curved Viaduct

Post by dubbleojon »

I am going to be building a curved viaduct on my new layout, I have found a few dimensions on the internet and am planning on building it out of mount card or foam board and then covering with some embossed stone card or das clay and scribbing the stones on. I am completely new to scratch building however and am not at a stage to start yet so there may well be a better was of doing it and I look forward to seeing some of the other suggestions you get. If I remember correctly glenfinnan is made of concrete you wont need to bother with all the stones. :)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Don't decorate your model of Glenfinnan with artificial stone. The real thing is made of concrete and any markings on its surface are shuttering marks. The line was one of the first to use concrete on a mass scale and is responsible for the Scot Rail Cl37 which had different name-plates on either side. One said "Sir Robert McAlpine" the other said "Concrete Bobby"
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Here's my desktop just to show it.
desktop.jpg
desktop.jpg (94.8 KiB) Viewed 12707 times
The parapet wall may have been built with stone or precast concrete blocks but the main structure is definitely poured concrete. There's an urban myth that claims a horse and cart backing up to deposit a load of freshly mixed, toppled backwards into one of the piers, and is still there. That's one that doesn't ring true. I doubt that there would ever have been more than six foot of un-set concrete and the horse would have ended up on top of the cart.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

I like the idea of that myth bufferstop, I hadn't heard it before! has ringings of the great wall of china slaves etc.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

The most recent research has shown that this incident is not a myth but it didn't happen at Glenfinnan, it happened at Loch Nan Uamh Viaduct, which is further down the line, near Arisaig,

See here http://www.moidart.org.uk/justoutside/h ... iaduct.htm

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

You could buy these and adapt them:-
Kibri 39725 Single Track Curved Stone Viaduct
Faller 120478 HO Scale Top Section of Stone Viaduct (Curved)
As your not bothered about the back, I am sure a Metcalfe or Superquick could easily be "bent" and you make the back wall yourself from card.
I built a curved inclined viaduct (1.2m long) from scratch in thick cardboard and covered with brick paper on my last layout!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
johnco

Post by johnco »

The story of people, animals and equipment being buried in the supports of poured concrete structures crops up all over the place, some examples are some of our motorway bridges and I was reliably informed by a tour guide when travelling over the Brenner Pass that some workers were entombed on one of the pillars of the Europa Bridge.
On modern reinforced concrete structures it would be difficult to hide a cat in the concrete as the rebar is so tightly spaced.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

So it's unlikely the cart was tipping freshly mixed concrete, more likely stabilised rubble backfill. Nice to see the plaque with Sir William's name on it after the shabby, and inaccurate, treatment he received from the media, in what turned out to be the last months of his life. A railway modeller on the grand (1:1) scale.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Hanuller

Post by Hanuller »

Well, the weather was not great (to say the least) when I travelled from Fort William to Mallaig, but I certainly got some inspiration for my own layout.

I used a few kibri parts, taken from their kit art.no. 9726, and began building my viaduct according to my track plan:

How I did it? Just have a look at my step-by-step pictorial.

Unfortunately, I haven't got any further yet as other projects like this Berlin-based overhead wiring maintenance vehicle keep me busy :oops:

Cheers
Volker
Bushey Troughs

Post by Bushey Troughs »

Bufferstop wrote:Nice to see the plaque with Sir William's name on it after the shabby, and inaccurate, treatment he received from the media, in what turned out to be the last months of his life. A railway modeller on the grand (1:1) scale.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
14 years as a UCATT shop steward told me all I needed to know about the McAlpines. Try typing mcalpine blacklist into google, and see what pops up.

"Metropolitan Police officers this morning (Fri 21st Feb 2014) attended the London offices of Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd as an arrest warrant was served for Cullum McAlpine for his role in the Consulting Association scandal. This weekend is the 5th anniversary of the raid by the Information Commissioner’s Office that discovered the illegal building industry blacklist.
The arrest warrant cited breaches of the European Convention on Human Rights, the Health & Safety at Work Act and the Data Protection Act."

The apple didn't fall far from the tree did. Just saying.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

whynot

Post by whynot »

"The apple didn't fall far from the tree did. Just saying."

Just so.