Torr Works - Biting off more than I can chew!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mark_brody

Torr Works - Biting off more than I can chew!

Post by mark_brody »

Hi,

I've asked for quite a bit of advice from you people over the last month so thought it was time to post some pictures of what I am doing.

I should say, to get where I am today has taken 2 years, so don't expect this thread to be updated too frequently. I have a young family, and cuurently get about 1-2 hours per week.

I am trying to model Torr Works that is a quarry set in the Mendips. Owned by Foster Yeoman they have a long history of using the railways to shift their stone. I'm sure you all know more about this than I do so I'll not write too much. But I have a relation who works for them, who has given me access to just about everything I need to be able to model the quarry. So please feel free to ask questions if you want.

The scale of this quarry is huge, so my model is only an artistic impression really (I guess like all models). The model was designed to be entire size of the loft, but this has been recently curtailed by the wife leading to all sorts of design problems.

Currently you have helped me on the following threads:

Infra-red train detection:
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... highlight=

Trains running through trees:

Track Plan:

How to make a valley:

Backdrops:

I'll post some pictures next. But please feel free to comment good or bad - all help is gratefully accepted. If I had found this website 12 months ago I would be much further on and would not be having to take track back up!
mark_brody

Photos as of Nov 06

Post by mark_brody »

Resize to less than 700 wide please - sorry I have now
The real track plan
Last edited by mark_brody on Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mumbles

Re: Torr Works - Biting off more than I can chew!

Post by mumbles »

mark_brody wrote: If I had found this website 12 months ago I would be much further on and would not be having to take track back up!
ho ho
join the club
I should say, to get where I am today has taken 2 years, so don't expect this thread to be updated too frequently. I have a young family, and cuurently get about 1-2 hours per week.
half that on time taken but maybe double that on time available but not much more! same reasons..
impressive looking loft action though, shame you say you won't be updating more... hopefully you'll get the photo bug like i 've found i have!!
regards
michael
mark_brody

Some December Pics

Post by mark_brody »

Maybe I have got the bug already. Hopefully this will encorage more activity in the loft. Sorry the last pictures are a bit wide - I can't work out why I resized them OK. Anyway, here are some up to date ones:

A view from left to right:

A view from right to left:

(the track disapearing in the distance is the one that will be hid by trees)

Latest on the valley:

There you go... you are upto date. I'll try to post some pictures of the real thing soon to give you more of an idea about what I am trying to achieve.

Current Rolling stock:

1 x class 59
1 x Percy

oh dear a long way to go....
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

There is a Dutch guy who has been ‘doing’ a similar projectfor the last couple of years

Lofty
Raider

Post by Raider »

Looking good there.

The pictures are fine as they are less than 700 wide - keep 'em coming

Chris
westbrom

Post by westbrom »

Looking good Mark.

Neil
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

you are making a nice start there. Keep the good work coming.
Tazskool

Post by Tazskool »

wow!!! looks nice..

welcome to the Loft Club :) lol

EDIT: has given me some pointers to securing baseboards to rafters :)
Last edited by Tazskool on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
live-frog

Re: Some December Pics

Post by live-frog »

Nice joinery on the sunken valley section Mark
mark_brody wrote: oh dear a long way to go....
That's what keeps me going !!!
Ron
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Good start there Mark. Keep the bug and stay at fever pitch and you will get more done than you ever thought possible!!!

Good luck fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

Great Start Mark, Look forward to seing more progress as u spend more time on the layout :D
mark_brody

Post by mark_brody »

Tazskool wrote: welcome to the Loft Club :) lol
I'm in the loft club, but i aint laughing out loud - it's rubbish :( . I have had to make everything so that when I move house it will fit through the loft hatch. Not to mention the annoying wood supports every 3 foot. Does anyone have any novel ideas of hiding these? :idea: Currently I am going to paint them white and ignore them...

Anyway, here are a few more pictures to give you an idea of what I am trying to achieve. I'm hoping to get an hour tonight...

My current track plan:

m.levin

Post by m.levin »

mark_brody wrote:Not to mention the annoying wood supports every 3 foot. Does anyone have any novel ideas of hiding these? Idea Currently I am going to paint them white and ignore them...
I think that is about all you can do. I don't have that problem, I'm one of the lucky ones that have had them removed (Thanks to the previous owners). Like you I made my layout removeble, for if we should move again. I can get 2x4 sections up with ease. All the legs and baseboards are bolted together.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

mark_brody wrote:
Tazskool wrote: welcome to the Loft Club :) lol
I'm in the loft club, but i aint laughing out loud - it's rubbish
There are obviously pro’s to go with the con’s of a loft layout.

I like the fact that it’s out of the way, I can leave it in whatever state I wish, but mostly the size available is my main love of my loft

I am not constructing with relocation in mind, if I do move (and I am certainly not planning to) I will salvage what I can and build another layout at any future abode

Lofty