Beware this shop/site may be closed.

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Bufferstop

Beware this shop/site may be closed.

Post by Bufferstop »

Twice this year model shops in this area have ceased trading but left their website running. The latest being "Much Ado About Toys." If you spot that a shop has put up the shutters post the details here. It might be a case that they have gone "on-lin only" I'll try to contact them, if I can't we can assume they have indeed gone out of business, orlet you know what the situation is. I might appeal for someone in the vicinity to take a look. The advice will always be to proceed with care as we can only ever say what appears to be the case. Please don't post if the shop is simply closed at a time it would normally be open, it's when the stock has been cleared or shutters/ blinds have been put up that we need to know.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bufferstop

Re: Beware this shop/site may be closed.

Post by Bufferstop »

I'll set us off with the first one.
Much Ado About Toys, Stratford upon Avon, blinds down, but looks to be empty, website was still running 8/11/13, no announcement about shop. Phone not being answered. I would assume until there is some announcement, that they have ceased trading.
Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

Looking at Companies House data base,... IF... it's the same company, it appears to be in liquidation :-

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//compdetails
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The link doesn't work but I think we can take your word for it. Thanks that's the conclusion I'd come to.
Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

It's sometimes quite a useful Govt. website, and you can also see the directors, rough idea of the accounts. Just type in the company name under the '' Find Company information'' tab.
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

Date of Incorporation: 21/05/1996

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Taken form the Companies House web site
Forfarian

Post by Forfarian »

I was in Weybridge a week ago and ventured down to Guildford for a spot of retail therapy with SWMBO, so looking up model shops in Guilford I find that there ia a nice oldy world one in North street " The Mosel Shop", on the way from the car park we happened to pass a closed down Modelzone and I thought I hope the one in North street is still open.
Having entered the post code in my reliable phone I wandered up North street taking in the excellent local produce for sale on the market stalls.
There was a nice smell of pastry cooking in the air when my satnav told me I had arrived at the Model Shop, the nice oldy world model shop was a nice oldy world Cornish pasty shoppe.
Did Modelzone take over the Model shop or could't the Model shop compete with Modelzone???
All answers on a post card please to
Tim
aka Forfarian
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

"Mainly Trains" has now closed
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Gosh. Is surprising how many are closing. Some of the big names that one assumed would be there forever have closed. Makes one think. Would I buy online or from a shop. Well, from convenience, a shop is the easiest method as I refuse to do anything financial on the internet and I prefer to meet someone then use the phone. I will phone, but it is if I have to rather then being my first choice.
One issue I have is my modelling needs are at a tangent compared to what most model shops supply. For example, I look out for budget wheels and small bits and pieces. While funds are tight, and even if there was available what I wanted in a ready made form and I had the funds to buy it, I'd probably prefer to make one just to see if I can. It is bits and pieces to make things that are getting hard to get.
Once in the past the little things mattered. Seems like today if it is not mainstream sales of products one is a bit isolated, so one has to scan the internet or other distant places!
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Many closures are down to the owner retiring (Mainly Trains for example). One of the big losses overall has been the availability of detailing parts for which Mainly Trains was an excellent source but then I suspect with the more highly detailed models we have these days the demand for detailing parts has plummeted.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I'm not sure as it gives a massive opportunity to detail the older models to bring them up to modern standards.
sparkhill

Post by sparkhill »

On the other side of the coin here in Brisbane we only had two shops on our side of the city that sold model trains one of which has recently dumped British OO gauge stock, we now have both shops selling mostly American trains, for my birthday my Son gave me a $100 gift voucher from a local hobby shop that really only sold remote control planes, cars and boats, how pleased I was to find that than have recently started selling model railway equipment, they had a decent range of scenic supplies most track related products and a large range of Hornby train sets, the shop owner said he intended to increase the range which was great his prices were even fair by Aussie standards.
Regards
Nobby
b308

Post by b308 »

Ian Allen shops are now closing as well. Unable to find a buyer upon retirement as I understand it.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

There was a time when the closure of a shop in Birmingham (My nearest Ian Allen) would have meant little to me. The West Midlands is rapidly becoming a desert for model railways. It's now probably easier to find a supplier of the full sized item than it is for a model.
D0260

Post by D0260 »

b308 wrote:Ian Allen shops are now closing as well. Unable to find a buyer upon retirement as I understand it.
There is only one Ian Allan shop( Birmingham) and a head office- which serves multiple company uses. Birmingham closes on the 14th of next month, that is is if there is anything other than the door left. I wouldnt advise travelling there to buy things , its all but emptied yesterday, or telephone first, although staff may not answer it ......

The West Midlands shops I know about are Topps, Oakes, Footplate, and the SVR Kidderminster shop for loco's... Any more?