Bill´s Railway World

Post anything here to do with Model Railway Photography

Moderator: saslord

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Bill´s Railway World

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Thanks Jim, I'll read that. I've heard of super 4 track, but nothing before that aside from hornby's 3-rail efforts!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
William Medland

Post by William Medland »

Sorry to hijack thread.
hijack as much as you wish Jim, a very interesting subject.

In my view as to why the name "Series 5" was not used, was simply because there were not enough catalogue numbers available in the 501 series.

How did Series 3 get its name? If we see the "Standard Track" as series 2 (1952-58), then it stands to reason that the original Rovex 1950-51 issue
(without fishplates) could then be seen as series 1.

Cheers, Bill.
I do firmly believe in general, that to be credible railway modellers, we need to at least understand the working
principles of the real life railway, even if we are unable to put them into practice in a model form.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I don't know as I've ever seen Rovex track. I don't know if it would have extended to point work. The moving frog was to accommodate the first versions of the Princess loco which featured plastic wheels and a single pair of sprung plunger pickups bearing on the track. The plungers would have fouled on the gap had a conventional frog been used.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
William Medland

Some of my points do have moving frogs, I wondered why.

Standard track has the joiner to the right, early Rovex track has the joiner in the middle and the track can only join in one direction.

There are two very slight versions of the Standard track, very early Standard has "Patent Pending" and the later has a patent number.
I do firmly believe in general, that to be credible railway modellers, we need to at least understand the working
principles of the real life railway, even if we are unable to put them into practice in a model form.
Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

Just found an interesting link, with some useful pics of the joiners :-
http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OONew/indexTrack.htm
William Medland

As this sub-forum is about photographs of model railways, we seem to have taken it off topic so to speak.
Discussing the old Tri-ang track is very interesting in itself, so I have started a new thread......

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=45214

Cheers, Bill.
PanzerJohn

Post by PanzerJohn »

Blimey Bill you pop up all over the place! You at W&P this year? cheers John
William Medland

PanzerJohn wrote:Blimey Bill you pop up all over the place! You at W&P this year? cheers John
No John, I am not doing any UK events this year........... but I am organizing my own event at a museum in Germany,
so far I have two groups attending next month, one of them are bringing five vehicles including an armoured personel carrier!

Anyway, what brings you to this forum........ or are you just stalking me :shock:

Best wishes, Bill.
William Medland

UPDATE TO MY LAYOUT

I am reducing my Triang track from double tracks to a single line. The space saved will now contain Hornby Dublo 3-Rail.
The Triang track and the Dublo 3-Rail track will run side by side, but obviously they cannot join or cross, as they are different systems.

This change came about because I obtained a Dublo 3-Rail locomotive from 1954, and wanted to run it.

Cheers, Bill.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Bill,

You are too easily diverted ........
Now I suppose you'll be looking for more 3 rail locos !!

Geoff T.
William Medland

Yes Geoff, I could not have a loco on the shelf and not be able to run it :D
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

William Medland wrote:Yes Geoff, I could not have a loco on the shelf and not be able to run it :D
I know your problem, imagine my quandary when I found a OO9 loco :?

And Geoff, if I remember rightly, you started off here saying you would only be modelling blue diesels... :lol:
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hornby Dublo three rail, now that's real good stuff. It may not have looked so realistic, but it worked, usually faultlessly. I was horrified by the stalling and spluttering of 2 rail models of the time, my Dublo stuff never stalled on points or anywhere else.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
William Medland

I have had this N2 loco on my shelf for about 25 years and I had never run it because I did not have any 3 rail track.
However, I purchased about 3 foot of Dublo track for 99p on e-bay (very lucky) and gave the loco a very short run
forwards and backwards and it went brilliantly.... wow, I have been hooked on Dublo 3-rail the last week or so.

Cheers, Bill.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

William Medland wrote:The four cats are a constant problem, they do understand that they are not allowed there,
because when I enter the room they storm out :lol:
When my layout was in the loft my four cats would race me up the loft steps. I lost most times! :oops: Trouble was they WOULD NOT come down voluntarily!

As for the grey Triang track ------ that took me back. I had a small layout using that type of track with a Princess Elizabeth loco running. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought