Best slow running chassis/motor/gearbox

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Pug

Best slow running chassis/motor/gearbox

Post by Pug »

I've put this question in here, because it isn't related to any loco manufacturer in particular.

I'd looking for suggestions as to what is the best chassis/motor/gearbox combination to achieve reliable, but very, very, slow running, preferably based on your personal experiences.

The aim is to end up with a loco that is very small, to shunt only one or two wagons at any one time - I've tried a couple of loco's, plus I've borrowed a couple of others, but none can be considered reliable at a crawl.

I'm now toying with the idea of fitting a bodyshell that I fancy, with a decent "undercarriage"

Any idea's?

John
bike2steam

Re: Best slow running chassis/motor/gearbox

Post by bike2steam »

If they are available for the locos you have in mind, my favourite combination is Comet Models chassis kit + Mashima motor + High Level Kits gearbox.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Dapols Sentinal shunter commisoned by some magazine runs so slow its hard to detect it moves. Increadably smooth runner for an 0-4-0 chassis.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

If you want a RTR option, then from OO I reckon the new class 03 diesel mechanical shunter from Bachmann as likely to be the best fit to the requirements you describe. Small wheels and a reduction ratio I estimate at 44:1 mean that it creeps about very well at dead slow. My example came out of the box immediately able to crawl smoothly at just under a scale 2mph on an ordinary DC resistance controller. It would go even slower, but with slight jerkiness visible. Now well run in and DCC decoder equipped it will do a near imperceptible crawl, and is very smooth. Has the great advantage of a compact mechanism too.

The 08 models from Bach and Hornby are also good.Gears are 40:1 reduction on good size five pole motors with flywheels. The Bachmann has the considerable advantage of a sprung centre axle which does make a difference to pick up reliability, not phased by dead frog set track points for a start. Considerable bulkier mechs than the 03.

There will be some high grade compact HO mechs out there, but I don't have any small stuff so really cannot advise.

The kit build route already mentioned by Paul can produce a very refined drive with all the advantage of precisely customising the component dispostion to the prototype. That's typically the way to go if looking for the best all around job. What is produced is of course dependent on the skill and effort put in: it won't just 'fall together'.
Pug

Post by Pug »

Thanks for all the help, I've run a ModelRail Sentinel up and down this afternoon - superb!

If I can find a short Diesel/petrol loco body, to replace the Sentinel body, one that represents something built in the early part of the 20th century, then I've cracked it - don't want much, do I?

Something in the style of a "Lima" MDT shunter would do, but shorter; they were made at least as early as 1932 - [oh yes, I tried one on the Sentinel this afternoon - didn't fit properly, and looked funny]

John
Pug

Post by Pug »

But I've just discovered that the Sentinel couplings are fitted in pockets, and that they can be slid out of those pockets!

Now it fits into the body shell very snugly, the dc/dcc plug has to be at the cab end, so a piece of dark window glass will need to be fitted, and I'll have to slice the front off, remove a section of bonnet, and refit the front so that everything is shorter.

It will need a "skirt" fore and aft to hide the ends of the Sentinel, and to accommodate some new couplings, and the steps are in the wrong place, but who cares?

The funny thing about this MDT switcher is, [there are a lot of funny things about it], I removed the "BR" markings from it recently, and the useless air horn "lumps" on the roof, and considered repainting it in private owner colours to use it in my wagon works, until I realised that it simply doesn't run slowly enough.

It should run slow enough now.

Happy bunny!

John
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

D605Eagle wrote:Dapols Sentinal shunter commisoned by some magazine runs so slow its hard to detect it moves. Incredably smooth runner for an 0-4-0 chassis.
I'll second that, mine's just about a year old now, has never once stalled on points even at it's incredibly slowest crawl and can move far more stock than looks realistic. It's probably no coincidence that the best performing Hornby loco I have is the former Dapol Pug closely followed by the Terrier. I'm glad to see that Dapol has now re-entered the 00 scale loco market. From Bachmann I have 22xx and City of Truro both of which run impeccably.

Pug - take a look at the class 02 shunter, if you fancy a short 4 wheel diesel it fits the bill. Some heavy surgery to a Dapol Drewry shunter kit should produce a fair representation.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Pug

Post by Pug »

OK Bufferstop, I'll do that.

I've just spent the last half hour putting a razor saw through the Lima shunter body, and re-glueing the radiator back on - but 10mm further back than it was, which means that in real life, I would have shortened it by two and a half feet!

John
whynot

Post by whynot »

I find the Hornby 0-4-0 Pug (not the Smokey Joe etc variety) very good and the Hornby Austerity excellent. Don't know about diesels!
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

whynot wrote:I find the Hornby 0-4-0 Pug (not the Smokey Joe etc variety) very good and the Hornby Austerity excellent. Don't know about diesels!
Their 08 is very good, but the 06 is not! :D