My First Attic Layout - "Aston Magna"

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Boatboy1977

My First Attic Layout - "Aston Magna"

Post by Boatboy1977 »

Hello!

This if my first Real Post and The start of My first real Attic Project, So since moving into my house 2 years ago I have now finally got the time to start the construction of my layout..

The Main Station/ Town will be Called " Aston Magna" ( I drove through the village one day and Liked the name...).. Totally Ficticious and based around sort of late 1990's onwards to present day.. ( although Ihave a couple of steam Engines that will be makig the odd guest appearance..

So far I have been scratch building the main station building and a signal box, and also a Fuelling point / maintainance area ( first Attempt at Scratch building!)

Below is my first draft at my layout.. Please feel free to comment as I'm a way of laying the track and I open to suggestions / revisions.. I am using Peco Code 100 Streamlined and I'm trying not to use a radius less than 500 mm.. ( going to use the 21" Tracksetta guages and larger)..

Below are also the pictures of the various buildings I'm in the process of building.. Although I'll be taking a while to construct the baseboards for now..

Main Station Building

Still Plenty of work to go on the Station.. As well as the main Foyer, I have to finish off the ticket office and Light it and also there will be a cafe on the platform which has a sort of glass frontage like a conservatory.
I Only do Big Engines.....
tractor37

Re: My First Attic Layout - "Aston Magna"

Post by tractor37 »

here we go!!! Another member who's going to make us look rubbish again... :lol:
What size is the overall layout pal? Looks like a good plan to me but then again I don't know that much! :?
Seriously good scratchbuilding though pal. Love the foyer....
Jas... :D
Boatboy1977

Post by Boatboy1977 »

Thank you for your comment thats put a smile on my face! :D .... I forgot to put in the dimensions..

The Overall size would be 3.65 Mtrs x 6 Mtrs ( so roughly 12' x 19.5' ) give or take a touch.. But the main box area is about 12 x 12 with that bit added on...

Ha I dont know about making others look so bad.. Some of the stuff on this site a truly amazing.. Which is where I get little detailing tips from..

The Station has taken about a year so far.. The design I drew on paper then sent to York Model Makers whom lazer cut 3mm MDF for the station building.. Probably not the cheapest way!!!.. but it gave me a strong structure to work with... Then its just Plasticard and Stryene Profile to build the rest up..

The windows and doors are also from York Model makers. They took ages to build as they are laser cut frames in 3 layers that are then glued together,.. :)
tractor37

Post by tractor37 »

Hi...
Maybe not the cheapest way but you still end up with a truly unique amazing building for it though. I do like the lighting in the foyer indeed. May have to see what I can knock up for mine when the station is ready. Just on with it at the moment. Just scalescenes kits and bit of make believe to go with it, nothing as grandeur as yours.. :D
Nice size to.. I wouldn't have coped with a small area, want too much in it.. I have 18 x 14 roughly for mine..
Jas... :D
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

Amazing !!! Looking forward to seeing this layout develop.
All Aboooooard !!
Boatboy1977

Post by Boatboy1977 »

Couple of other pic's of the Station

Inside the Foyer complete with Fire Extinguisher and New Flat Screen Display Boards.

Inside the Ticket Office.. Flat screen Displays for Staion Staff.. I intend to build desks etc to finish it off..

The back of the Signal Box.. with AC unit and Extraction Fans for the Electrical Kit in the lower part of the Building,

Fuelling and Minor Maintainance Unit.. The red and Black wires are for the LED Strip lights I fitted in the roof..
mika

Post by mika »

Looking good :shock: . I love the booking hall and the feeling of space created by the high ceiling.

Thanks for sharing!

Michael
My layout 'Sudbury-on-Sea'

My German layout 'Zinnroda (Thür.)'
Boatboy1977

Post by Boatboy1977 »

Thank you Micheal.. :D

If you may have passed through Worcester Shrub Hill Station its the most stunning building.. ( Blotted by some crabacious Office Building that blocks its out) so I wanted to give it the feel of a old station that had beem modernised...
MrH

Post by MrH »

Looks amazing,
H
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench
whynot

Post by whynot »

Stunning buildings - and patience! Got a lot to live up to!
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Very nice indeed Boatboy1977 :)

I've got a few questions if you don't mind:

Are the buildings based on prototypes or from imagination? Either way they are very convincing.

Was the process of designing a plan for laser-cutting straightforward? Or did you have to go back and forth with refinements along the way?

Can I ask how much you paid? If you don't want to say publicly maybe you'd consider sending me a PM?
I've been interested in Laser cutting (and 3D printing) for some while and am trying to get an understanding of the pro's and con's of each process / costs / time / relative to good-old-fashioned Plasticard scatch-building.

One thing on the track plan I don't get is the 'siding' between the two platform tracks on the station at the bottom of the plan. What purpose does it serve? I'm not saying it's wrong at all, just I've only seen that sort of arrangement in terminus stations before, so I'm asking out of ignorance :)

Overall this looks like being a great layout in a decent space and judging by the standard of modelling so far a very promising one too :)
Boatboy1977

Post by Boatboy1977 »

Good Morning Southern Boy..

I dont mind the questions.. best way to share and learn I think.. :D

Now the buildings are a sort of blend of imagination and the real thing,..

The Signal Box is loosely based on the now disused " Torre signal Box".. I just googled Signal Box Images and liked that one as it was high and quite solid looking.. So from that and a bit of guestimation I scaled a couple of drawings on Graph Paper and then constructed from Plasticard...

The fueling point is purely from imagination and just which kits I could bash together.. ( Knightwing mostly)..

Now the Lazer Cutting.... now it def more expensive than normal scratchbuilding....( the basic wooden building was just the other side of £100..) but for then again you have to way that up with the fact its is a bespoke service to your exacting design...

So having looked at Worcester Shrub Hill I selected the features I liked and then from a few pictures again made a full size drawing on a sheet of A1 1mm graph paper.. With side, End and Plan views..... Then from this drew smaller section drawings of the the Pieces that would be needed to actually fit the building together.. ( so you have to think in the same way that a plastic kit manufacturer would I suppose..)..

Sent all of this to York Model Makers and they scanned each in each of the drawings and adjusted on the computers.. checking dimensions and construction cut outs for it to lock together.... ( they were also able to cut and profile the roof sections for it to fit the model.).. Then cut it out of 3 mm MDF...

Its super accurate and because I used the doors and windows that they also make they can cut the holes etc to fit those exactly..

You have to very acuratley draw the plans with a good 0.3, 0.5 mm Tech Pens...

so.. yes its more expensive for the base building.. but very strong and robust and very accurate,

They were also able to cut out the window frames and Cornes stones using the lazer to etch outh the grout/ cement lines between stones..

They can Cut MDF, Plastic, and paper.. so loads of options.. and from submitting the drawings the kit was back to me in say 2 weeks.. so pretty quick..

I then clad the outside with Slaters PLasticard and Will / Ratio and styrene sheet from ebay.. Bonding it to the MDF with 3M adhesive permanant spray Glue from Staples or a good art shop.. you cna then attach tot he plastic as normal with Plastic weld glues..

The insides are again spray glued and Metcalfs / Scalescenes papers for the internal walls..
So its a blend of all three materials and techniques i suppose..

The Middle Siding between the platofrms is in use today at Shrub Hill.. it gets used for hold "off service" london Midland DMU's and other trains as they switch between the lines to Birmingham and or Hereford etc..
I'll use it as a carraige siding on my layout.. and holding the odd Engine etc... :D
siquelme

Post by siquelme »

Nice start really looking forward to seeing this develop
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Firstly, welcome to the forum...

Secondly... seriously impressed mate. Some amazing detail there... Really looking forward to seeing your layout develop. :)
poindexter

Post by poindexter »

Very impressive. Love the buildings, lots of detail. Going to enjoy watching this one develop.

Have you thought about making some sort of the track plan off scene to allow for a fiddle yard? Gonna be a pain loading all those long rakes every time you want to change trains?
My unprototypical, learning curve, playfest:

Stockton Road TMD

Millfield. Helix building