DAPOL 2012 Reasonable speculation thread

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Stevefay

DAPOL 2012 Reasonable speculation thread

Post by Stevefay »

It would seem to me that Dapol could have one of the most comprehensive model ranges of all in the near future. With there rapidly expanding N gauge range, The growing OO range and the recent announcement of the introduction of an O gauge range with the release of 5 and 7 plank wagons and the promise of a RTR loco.
Ive been told that Dapol are to release there catalogue in january.
They have been bold in introducing RTR working signals and a full range of OHLE, They are tackling some areas that the other big companies havent looked at.
As an O gauge modeller and OO Im excited about the future for Dapol, The promised all new western will be one to look out for and seen as they have released the 86 in N then a top spec OO version to better the Heljan model would be well appreceiated As this seems to be a route Dapol are keen to take, not to duplicate whats all ready available but to better it.
Heljan have no plans to develop the 86 any further because it hasnt been that popular but if the bachmann 350 and 85 go down well which they seem to be popular at the pre order stage then the 86 being the longet serving AC loco available in many different liveries would be popular.
If the mods are reading this do you think its time Dapol are given a dedicated page like the other big boys? On other forums Dapol do get diretly involved showing CADs of there models looking for modellers to give there feed back and providing updates on whats to come.
Good luck Dapol for 2012
Bigmet

Re: DAPOL 2012 Reasonable speculation thread

Post by Bigmet »

Just in OO, they got out the Sentinel, Beattie WT, class 22 and 10000 in 2011. In the pipeline announced are commissions for further versions of LMS twins, and the SR 'Triplets', LSWR O2 and gated stock, and for their own range D600, classes 21, 29 and 52 ; with DP2 on the back burner pending sight of the Heljan model. Did I miss any? At present release rate that takes them to end 2013.

With BR mainline diesels now pretty much wrapped up, a new model there would have to be a top notch 'knockout' effort for a current model that has perceived weaknesses. I should think they will want to evaluate how their Western sells before trying another such; it is risky for all people say the Heljan model isn't good enough, how many of a better and much more expensive model will they sell?

There's still plenty of classes without a model: an electric loco for DC or AC, something unusual like a Kerosene Castle, perhaps the class 02 DM shunter using their small mechanism expertise demonstrated on the Sentinel? I can see them getting further commissions from Kernow and Hattons, the former will probably march on with cult SR classes, Radial tank, USA tank, B4, Z, Black motor, all probably in with a shout; Hattons might fancy an AC electric if they have seen the Bachmann class 85 generating good orders.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

trying not to be picky, but the D600s are a Kernow commission, and a class 02 is a DH, not a DM ;)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

If the 02 is a DH, then Dapol pretty much have to do it...
Stevefay

Post by Stevefay »

The Dapol cat should be out mid to late febuary :D
im hoping the class 22 will be in there in O :shock:
amsie

Post by amsie »

The Heljan 86 didnt look quite right unfortunately, and got panned on several forums that I can think of. Maybe this is why it didnt sell?? The Bachmann 85 looks the part, and from what i've seen, the Dapol 86's in N look the dogs doo daas too. I think the 86 is there for the taking in OO and Heljan missed a big trick there! Lots of livery variations and im sure Dapol would be onto a winner there if they scaled it up!

The UK for a long time hasnt had many decent RTR MU's really, theres a whole load of them out there begging to be made. Mk3 type EMU's, Electrostar type MU's, Bullied EPB's, the Class 117. I'd love to see GER type EMU's RTR but doubt they will ever see the light of day, all in OO of course but Dapol have done really well in N and wuold probably release there first.

I remember Dapol entering the N market, just as I moved from N to OO, after waiting for a few years and seeing nothing comming out of Bachmann/Farish. Oh how N gauge has changed since then.

I like Dapol's style as a company too.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Some more of Dapol's style, they are canvassing for ideas.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... catalogue/
champion

Post by champion »

It is good to see dapol going hell for leather with the class 52 but will seem like there class 22 to be a long way of yet but cad cams are looking good.Sadly now out of my time span the class 22 is a gem of a model and the 52 will be in much demand although i have 3 heljan ones.
As for diesel classes that i believe dapol could revamp are a class 37/40/42 and 55 although dapol seem to love the western region.Yes good luck dapol and best wishes.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I should have thought they will want to see how their 'best ever' class 52 goes over before embarking on another duplication of further existing diesel models. I reckon Heljan for an OO Deltic in the fairly near future, so that is definitely one to steer clear of for now. (Heljan have the DP2 announced, and also an O guage Deltic model underway: you don't have to be brain of Britain to see what that makes likely, Heljan always do every variation they can on a chassis tooling. I would not be in the least surprised if they march on to do a class 50 too.)

It is not as though there is any shortage of classes without (current standard) models after all: E5000, Bulleid-Raworth locos, AL1/2/3/4, classes 73, 74, 87, 89, 90, 91, 92 are all possibles.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Dapol Dave did just about almost say yes to a NBL class 43 warship. Heres hopeing!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I could do you a fully authentic model in 1973 condition for delivery by next Friday. Ten packs of razor blades for a hundred notes suit you?