The Escapades of a Newbie.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
McPhantastic

The Escapades of a Newbie.

Post by McPhantastic »

Hey people :)
Before we get down to the nitty gritty of talking hobby I thought I'd introduce myself. My names Chris, I'm a graduate, this year, of the University of Derby - Criminology with Forensic Science. I've recently gotten back into the hobby after basically getting tired of my old one (warhammer) and wanting to do something that my potential kids will be able to play with and enjoy.

So the hobby. I have a myriad of various sets that were brought for me when I was a youngster; The Intercity 225, The Flying Scotsmen, The Mighty Mallard, GWR Mixed Goods, The Eurostar.

So evidently I have a decent amount of track with which to work with and I am also not scared to purchase more to make my layout unique :).

The location is a garage, and a very large one at that. So hopefully I will be able to run decent sized trains using the 1/3rd rule. Generally I just hope you guys all come along for the ride; with me that's exactly what its going to be. See you on the otherside. :D
Alexander Court

Re: The Escapades of a Newbie.

Post by Alexander Court »

Sounds like this will be interesting :P I love train sets, and I have the stock from several but the track from them never really stayed as clean and undamaged as when it came out of the box :L

Look forward to more info and how the building goes.

Good Luck :mrgreen:

Alex. 8)

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"
auricom

Post by auricom »

Aaaaaah another Chris, we truly do rule the world! (There are quite a few of us on here)

Welcome, do you currently have any plans for a layout? Or is it in the good old noggin?
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?
craw607

Post by craw607 »

Hello Chris
welcome to the forum sure you'll enjoy
John
whistlehead

Post by whistlehead »

auricom wrote:Aaaaaah another Chris, we truly do rule the world! (There are quite a few of us on here)?
Add another to the list... :roll: So, when do we invade Poland? :twisted:

McPhantastic: What kind of thing are you aiming for? Are we going to see high-speed through trains? A terminus with out-and-back scheme? I'm guessing from the trains you have that it's not a branchline... :wink:

Welcome to the forum, sit back and enjoy your stay, a light snack will be served at 20,000 feet.

Chris
Pevensey Flyer

Post by Pevensey Flyer »

Welcome!

Don't forget - we want loads of pictures of the progress!

PF
Visit my BOSHIP ABBEY layout
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28664
and my new BONNIE TOWN BY SEA 'T Gauge layout 'http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=35117
McPhantastic

Post by McPhantastic »

Hey guys!
Loads of Chris's! Good, I always knew one day we would rule the world!

So with regards to the layout;
I have a large amount of space to create this layout which will hopefully allow me to make it constantly interesting. The problems I'm having are the overall utilisation of this space. I will get the measurements tomorrow for help with layout design (my first assumption is that you'll give me a hand :oops:). I have two separate designs but they seem odd, and won't fit without the use of flexi-track... which is something I have never used...

Basically what I want to achieve is something with interesting sidings/shunting areas as well as having some area to run some trains. I never really thought it would be difficult to plan something like this, But I find my layout plans very uninspiring.

In terms of era. I love the BR steam era. I'm not much of a diesel man. In fact I really don't like them at all. So a few more purchases will be made in the locomotive department; I'm a fan of several trains, however the following are definite purchases;

BR (Ex-LMS) 0F 0-4-0ST 'PUG'- Early BR (Hornby)
Thompson Class L1 2-6-4T - BR Black Late Crest (Hornby)

The latter being my favourite wheel configuration... i'm not a fan of tenders... In terms of other companies, i've never ventured from hornby, but would be willing to purchase other trains based on recommendations. Any would be really welcome! Tomorrow; measurements and layout designs.
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

Argh not another Chris... :lol:

The layout idea sounds good and I like your ideas as to what engines/era you're into, the L1's are very good loco's, strong, good looking (well my LNER Green one is ;) ) and can run on fairly tight track (without the front steps added)

Another Good BR loco to get is a Bachmann 3mt tank :) (not a blatent youtube channel plug :roll: :lol: )

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
auricom

Post by auricom »

Don't worry about the use of flexi, I was really apprehensive in using it on mine but it's actually really easy to use, just get yourself a pair of xuron track cutters and some fishplates then bend it to your desire.

And as Benjamin =P says, Bachmann are a good make.

And yes Benny. Another Chris, we are, after all, the best =]
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?
Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Post by Durseytu »

Oh lord we are being surrounded by em! I even work with two Chris' so they must be taking over. :shock:

I'd like to see the potential designs you have. By the sounds of things you have quite a bit of space so you have plenty of options. Don't worry about flexi-track. It's actually quite easy to work with as long as you have a decent set of track cutters. You will appreciate it in the long run as having nice sweeping bends really adds to the realism. If I could say one thing about your plans, I wouldn't try and cram too much track in to the space that you have. If you are going for something that looks like a prototype railway, some open spaces can really add to the atmosphere of the layout.

And as for stock, it sounds like you are a fan of the same era. I'm more of a fan of midland steam power! I do highly recommend Bachmann locos; they are of superb quality and I think you will be pleased to hear usually a bit cheaper than any Hornby equivalent. As Ben pointed out the 3MT Tank is a good'un, as so too is the 4MT Tank (I have both on my layout and they are rather superb). I shall be looking forward to further updates!

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage
McPhantastic

Post by McPhantastic »

hey guys! so I had a little time today to do some measurements and made a little trackplan so you guys can give me a hand! Turns out the one MASSIVE mistake I made on the track plan is that the measurements are actually inches and not centimetres... I'm a little under-the-weather so I'm going to excuse myself for the blunder.

Here it is:

So here are a few issues I'm having! - I want this to be at waist level, or a level comfortable for me to mess with for some time. The height of the garage is 91 inches due to there being some visible beams. My dad would still like to use the garage for a car which means that the layout is going to have to be hinged to the wall. which gives me about 60 or so inches I guess in terms of length.

The idea really is to make it exhibition quality... but its probably a pipe dream.

Anyway, here are some layout plans I have messed around with. These are general plans as they were made before I got some measurements some time ago before my grandma brought my train stuff down from the loft.

Layout design:

I like this layout but I feel there are some things missing... Is it the best utilisation of my space? probably not... Can I access everything from both sides? I don't think so, Any help would be greatly appreciated since this is really my fist attempt at this kind of thing.

Cheers
Chris
66fan

Post by 66fan »

hey mate, just a couple of suggestions:

with all that space you could get a seamless 'figure of 8' style layout going that would make your layout have a much longer running time and use the space better?

also, with the amount of space you have you've got plenty of scope for some lovely long sweeping flexitrack curves...

take these two things into account and see what you can come up with! good luck!

matt
Follow my N gauge layout, Alverston Parkway, at http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=32950
:)