Mortar colour

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
bob hughes60

Mortar colour

Post by bob hughes60 »

Direct attempt to pick members' brains !
So does anybody have an off the shelf Humbrol etc paint enamel/acrylic or a recipe for getting a basic mortar colour for dressed stone plastic?
TIA
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Re: Mortar colour

Post by 0121modeller »

I often use Humbrol 121 matt as a mortar colour for most applications inc dressed stone,
however if I'm mortaring "modern" red brickwork I'll use a matt brown.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

I use Revell matt 35 most of the time, it has a very pleasing look to it.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
bob hughes60

Post by bob hughes60 »

Thanks for the tips I am off to local store hobbycraft tomorrow to have a look for humbrol matt enamel 121 pale stone and revell matt 32135 flesh - ( if I translated the numbers right.)
Wonderland models has excellent paint charts on their site for anybody interested.
Thanks again.
Bob
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

Just for illustrative purposes, its extreme cruel close up time.

Wills English bond plasticard painted with my recipe for the engineering blue brick you see around which has smears of red in it, and using Revell 35 for the mortar.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
Tom@Crewe

Post by Tom@Crewe »

I have given my Signal box a base colour of Humbrol 121 and then dry brushed the bricks Humbrol 70 and as I am looking for a aged look it was horrendous

The darker brick colour made the mortar look even lighter.

What's a better base colour for the aged mortar?
Never enough time...........

Coppenhall Goods https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 22&t=50174
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hello all.
In a professional capacity I have to match Historic mortars.
Architecture prior to the reinvention of cement in 1756, would have been built completely with Lime mortars. Which generally speaking created creamy coloured mixes. Lime based mortars tend to three parts aggregate to one part lime. Local sands and aggregates would have been used in these.
Cement based mixes tend to be six parts aggregate to one part Cement. Most cements are grey in colour which tend to produce a darker colour.
The Victorians went absolutely crazy with cement and applied pointing to many a lime mortared building creating a while series of problems
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I tend to use cream with a hint of grey (or less black) and mix my own. The trick is that no mortar looks the same in any one area of a wall or building. By not mixing thoroughly, different shades can be applied in different area's. For under a bridge (very damp) I have even used cream and green!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!