Poundland Find

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
TMDFan

Poundland Find

Post by TMDFan »

Evening All

Went into my local Poundland this lunchtime and found something I thought was worth sharing.

In their Allura health and beauty range they do a pack of nail buffing blocks for £1. The contents of the pack are 4 foam blocks with 4 different grades of sanding material on each. I have tried these on plastic kits and they are brilliant for sanding work. I even dissected one of the blocks and glued strips cut from them to McDonalds wooden coffee stirrers, imagine my surprise when they cleaned some dirty track I had lying around.

Multi purpose must haves for your modellers kit, and only £1 to boot, what a bargain.

Regards

Les
All Tickets & Railcards Please
Flashbang

Re: Poundland Find

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
Its NOT recommended to use abrasives on modern track i.e. Nickel Silver rail.
Reason is that minute scratches are put into the rails surface which will collect more 'muck'. This is then pick up by the wheels of all stock and spread around the rest of the track.
Result is a increasing cycle of rail and wheel cleaning! :(
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
knottinbotswana

Post by knottinbotswana »

Flashbang,

I can see your reasoning but why single out "modern" track? I understand that different alloys have different properties (strength, hardness, resistance to corrosion, etc.) but is there that much difference to hardness (resistance to scratching) at a model rail level?

Following on, is it then recommended to only use IPA (not this one) rather than the ubiquitous track rubber?
sishades

Post by sishades »

Never use abrasives, use IPA. Also never use WD40, it will stuff up your locos big time.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

There has been a lot of discussion about this historically. I prefer IPA [not India Pale Ale !] but, unfortunately, the club's layout has been cleaned in so many ways the track now attracts dirt at a rate of knots. Most of the damage has been caused by old track rubbers, which have abraded the rails surfaces through too much over-enthusiastic use. Emery has also been used, with predictable results. Cleaning duties are now restricted to one or two members to prevent further harm.

Highjacking this tread slightly [and apols], but whilst on the subject, are there any views on the Dapol track cleaner ?

Tony.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

knottinbotswana wrote:Flashbang,
I can see your reasoning but why single out "modern" track? <Snip>
By 'Modern' I meant Nickel Silver track as opposed to older Steel rail track.
At times with steel rail its necessary to use a mild abrasive to remove any rust!
But don't do this on NS railed track
raistlin295

Post by raistlin295 »

sishades wrote:Never use abrasives, use IPA. Also never use WD40, it will stuff up your locos big time.
What sort of applicator do you use with IPA please?
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

raistlin295 wrote:
sishades wrote:Never use abrasives, use IPA. Also never use WD40, it will stuff up your locos big time.
Hi
IPA can be applied by a lint free cloth - Old clean Hankie is ideal.
Or you can use it in a CMX rail cleaning tanker wagon or the Tomix/Dapol rail cleaning vehicle can also be filled with it.
Use the IPA to clean all your wheels too - A cotton bud is good for this dipped in the IPA but do remove any stray pieces of cotton wool that might be left by the bud.
raistlin295

Post by raistlin295 »

Flashbang wrote:
raistlin295 wrote:
Hi
IPA can be applied by a lint free cloth - Old clean Hankie is ideal.
Or you can use it in a CMX rail cleaning tanker wagon or the Tomix/Dapol rail cleaning vehicle can also be filled with it.
Use the IPA to clean all your wheels too - A cotton bud is good for this dipped in the IPA but do remove any stray pieces of cotton wool that might be left by the bud.
Thanks for that :)

I tried with a piece of paper towel but of course, it got shredded by the ballast shoulders along the track.
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout
b308

Post by b308 »

Meths is good as a track cleaner as well... Just use it in a ventilated area! :mrgreen:
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

b308 wrote:Meths is good as a track cleaner as well... Just use it in a ventilated area! :mrgreen:
and more readily available :) I'm sure the frequent instructions to use IPA are another health and safety coverall.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
raistlin295

Post by raistlin295 »

Bufferstop wrote:
b308 wrote:Meths is good as a track cleaner as well... Just use it in a ventilated area! :mrgreen:
and more readily available :) I'm sure the frequent instructions to use IPA are another health and safety coverall.
Oddly enough, I can get as much IPA as I can drink... erm... use ;)
Paul

Finsbury Road My Layout
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

Going off topic I know, but you can 'buff out' the scratches caused by abbrasives using a metal polish and the fibrous side of hardboard. Its not easy work and is time consuming, but after a few sessions the majority of the damage done will be sufficiently remedied. Just remember to thoroughly clean the railhead of all polish residue before running anything.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
The CMX tanker wagon filled with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) is the 'Bees Knees' or rail cleaners.
Pushed in front of two large locos is the best way I have found of using mine. One loco on its own will do it but it struggles!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Zunan - It's a bit ironic but what do use to get rid or abrasive scratches on metal - more abrasives. Start with a mild one and use progressively milder until you have a mirror like surface. Perhaps for rail heads you should stop a bit earlier, leave something for the wheels to grip.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions