Select amd N Guage

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
NCB

Select amd N Guage

Post by NCB »

I have a Hornby Select which I use as a walkabout after geting an Elite, I am building a N Guage layout and would like to go DCC and if posible use the select, but can the select be used with Bachmann 6 pin small decoders as Hornby ones will not fit into some of the small n guage locos.
poliss

Re: Select amd N Guage

Post by poliss »

Yes, they should work. DCC is a universal standard and Hornby had nothing whatsoever to with formulating it. The only caveat is that the Select does not conform properly to the DCC standards. Your post was stopped on the Hornby forums because you used the 'B' word btw.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

I think it is beerandpies on here who did an n gauge layout using select
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
NCB

Post by NCB »

Thanks for your prompt replies, I thought hornby may block my question which is a bit childish as they do not manufacture a 6 pin decoder for N guage, there decoders can not be fitted in these small locos.
davejb

Post by davejb »

The Hornby site routinely blocks - or 'tries to block' would be more accurate - anything that relates to other manufacturers, to the point that it is very difficult to have a sensible discussion... I would strongly recommend anyone in need of help to make sites like this one their first port of call, as it's sometimes impossible to say what needs to be said on the Hornby site.

As Hornby do not support N gauge, stick to NRM - you know it makes sense <g>

As for the Select - I did something similar-ish, as I had a bit of a liking for the "Sprinter" set in N and built a short lived layout up to try it on, and used both a Select and an Elite to run it at various times. You can use either quite happily for DCC control any make of loco in any gauge, the only limitations result from a degree of non-compliance with NMRA standards, which for most casual use won't affect you (and if you get to the point it does then you'll doubtless have bought a better control system that IS fully compliant) and possibly having to spend a bit of extra time programming accessory decoders (if you use DC for points etc) as Hornby controllers seem to need several goes at it before doing the job properly.

So it's 'fill yer boots' time, really <g>
Dave
ChrisWV10

Post by ChrisWV10 »

My select (V1.0 firmware) corrupted bachmann 6 pin decoders when trying to program an address. Otherwise it worked ok. Don't know what exactly - didn't investigate too closely but the chip worked fine as supplied on address 3 but after trying to program an address, it accepted the new address but there was no speed control. Just set off at a top speed or stopped dead.

Only had this problem with the bachmann 6 pins, not with their 8 or 21s (I also have OO) and not with tcs or gaugemaster/digitrax chips. The decoder wasn't damaged as I could reset it writing 8 to CV8 with the elite. Solution - program addresses with the elite.

Hornby have updated the firmware to V1.2 now but you have to return the select to Hornby to get it updated.

Other options to consider..

pick up a cheap EZ command 2nd hand? Very basic but ok for a small N layout if you can get one at a good price.

Switch the elite between your OO & N layouts?

C :)
red death

Post by red death »

Unless the new firmware for the Select has dramatically improved things I would stay well clear of the Select - the original was not NMRA compliant and caused no end of problems due to incorrect DCC signal forms.

Given the cost of the Select and the Elite for the money you can get much better systems eg NCE Powercab.

Cheers, Mike
NCB

Post by NCB »

Thanks again for yore replies,
I was thinking of getting a E-Z control unit for the N guage, but can you alter the acceleration and decceleration using the small E-Z control unit or would I have to use the Elite from my 00 layout.