Old Oak Common Hydraulic Heydays.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
champion

Old Oak Common Hydraulic Heydays.

Post by champion »

Due to now being a layout under construction i deemed it fit to move it here.Although in its very early stages i have today run 50037 round a full circuit.Any one who has been reading my spread in the planning forum will no that the main centre piece to the layout is old oak common turntable and more updates will follow on its progress.Yesterday i did speak to quickly about having the turntable motorised and working and again had to work on it to take the weight of a loco which i did not test yesterday.
The main fleet consists of.
NSE mk 1 and 2 coaching stock with parcels as well as small amount of freight.
The loco fleet is as todate.
class 33 33109 captain bill smith
class 35 hymek 7017 as preserved blue livery
class 37 37406
class 42 D832 as preserved green livery
class 47 47474 parcels
class 47 47535 L/L
class 47 47612 titan
class 47 47711 nse awaiting arrival.
class 50 50002 nse
class 50 50027 nse
class 50 50031 L/L
class 50 50035 L/L
class 50 50037 L/L sound
Class 50 50045 nse
class 50 50050 nse awaiting arrival.
A dmu in nse and a class 08 08173 also.
I will update more pics but have a lot to crack on with.
richard.
Last edited by champion on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 9 times in total.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.
cmeonthemove

Re: NSE days old oak

Post by cmeonthemove »

So I see you're back to square one on the turntable then. I was telling an R/C mate of mine about the turntable fiasco and he suggested trying MFA/COMO drills (http://www.mfacomodrills.com/) who have a wide range of motor/gearboxes for around £25. The 540 and 385 sized ones are probably the best for power/size he reckons as he uses these in his 1/14 scale R/C tipper truck.
NSE DAZ

Post by NSE DAZ »

Hi Richard,

Good to see your topic move to the layout under construction section this must be good news :wink:

As mentioned before you have one great line up of loco's 8)

Look forward in seeing this one develop.

Thanks Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast
champion

Post by champion »

I didnt even get the loco fleet right missing out D1023/D1062 and 47573.The main throat to old oak and the double track main line has now been layed and will need some electrics done.The turntable has so far took the weight of a class 50 as the weight stopped it earlier but this was because the gear of the motor had came away from the shaft.I have had another go this time glueing the gear on and adding extra retainers.At the moment i have run out of cork and fishplates so until friday no more track laying can take place .
richard.
Last edited by champion on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
champion

Post by champion »

With little time i have had and running out of certain bits i have been messing about with D1023 western fuseliers lighting as to get them brighter on dc.I did find that there was so little space to fit a led in the tail light area but the headcode was no problem and looks so much better.I will wene i get my required bits be hopefully laying more track this weekend.I am pleased as at the moment i have a fully operational turntable the centre piece of the layout.One thing is that the rough trackplan drawn up has been changing as i am finding some space that i did,nt think i would.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

What model turntable is it?
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
cmeonthemove

Post by cmeonthemove »

Great to hear the turntable is now fully operational. Are you still planning to scratchbuilt the 3-lane shed as well? Once you've made some more progress it would be great to see the layout fully operational.
champion

Post by champion »

The turntable essex is a peco one with motor surplied as extra.
Yes i am still planning to scratchbuild the 3 road shed but not just yet as i have some more track to lay behind it 1st.
Lastest arrival has been 50050 fearless from ian aka ark royal and very nice to.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
champion

Post by champion »

Although its xmas day and a day off work i will still be working on the layout.
Updates so far is most of the main yard and layout to old oak is down.It just leaves the ecs and freight sidings on the opposite wall to lay.I will however be working on detailing old oak turntable and some locos 2day and testing all sidings.
Pics may follow.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
dagenham

Post by dagenham »

hi richard
a very merry xmas to you
and just thought id stop by and say hello and i have just seen your thread and what a brill start you have there
i take it you are setting your era on the 70s to early 80s due to you having westerns and class 50s and you have made me jealous with you having a class 50 with sound dd you get it already fitted or did you fit yourself???
hope you have a good rest of your xmas
peter (laira depot)
champion

Post by champion »

Time to relax and injoy the rest of my only night off.
Most work has involved detailing the class 50s and 31,i have also weathered 50050 and changed A end lights in the hymek and class 33.
Some pics and a vid of some more work to detail.
richard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfAyCa6tg20
Last edited by champion on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
champion

Post by champion »

Peter laira depot.
The layout is set for the 80-90 nse days.The hydraulics are all preserved members that visit the depot and will in my books also run the odd railtour as mainline runners.The class 50 with sound which is 50037 hornbys latest one with sound built in.
Thanks for showing an interest and good tidings to you mate and a happy new year.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
dagenham

Post by dagenham »

hi ya richard
nice to see even on your only day off you have time to spend on your layout bet your family aint ammoused lol
so what do you do for work as you said this is your only day off??
and what is your oponion on the hornby sound fitted class 50 as i have 2 of the hornbys class 50s myself both without sound
peter
champion

Post by champion »

Peter.
I am at the moment working nights at a food retail warehouse which is a 24/7 7day week.I say at the moment as i may have mentioned in my n gauge layout spread that the company may be moving next year in which i may not be able to get to.We may not no until march 2011.
I fully recommend the hornby sound in the class 50(see video) as runs on dc although you dont get the extras like the horn and engine shutdown but alas brings it to life.I am at a latter date looking to have the hymek/western fitted with sound as i have been told changing a cv setting allows lokosound to run on dc aswell.I have a few points/trackwork and rolling stock to get 1st and job future depending then look at the sound for them later on and not cheap.Stock needed is mainly mk1s nse and parcels vans.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
champion

Post by champion »

I forgot to add.
My day with family consisting off daughter/2 grandchildren and my son was xmas eve.My wife is happy for me to work on the layout as it stops me moaning at her.( her words).
I will also add although a hydraulic freak which my ex n gauge layout showed i now own more class 50s than ark royal who at the moment is having problems with his internet providers.I have guys like him and NSEdaz to thank for that as i think the class 50 is the best model of it for sometime and there layout postings tempted to go into 00 for that reason,but i made shaw hydraulics arnt forgotton with 4 on the layout at the moment.I will nether be converted from a hydraulic follower.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common