Fleischmann track

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
guinnesskid

Fleischmann track

Post by guinnesskid »

My brother, having spent a fortune on track, engines, airbrush etc, decided not to bother with his new hobby and has passed it on to me. The track is Fleischmann sat on plastic ballast (bit like kato track) but I have found my usual peco/unknown rail joiners will not fit. Is this a gauge problem or is fleischmann a one off type of joiner? Any help would be appreciated.
I'm thinking of becoming an alcoholic - It's cheaper than N gauging and not quite as taxing on my brain.
Essex2Visuvesi

Re: Fleischmann track

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

yes I think so.... I havent found any joiners that fit properly apart from fleischmanns own. Is it N or H0? Ive only used the N track but Trainsandco might be able to shed light on H0 if needed.
Failing that chuck it on ebay.... makes good money on there

What stock did you inherit?
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
poliss

Post by poliss »

If it's N scale then the joiners are slightly different. Peco won't fit, but other makes such as Minitrix will. If you imagine an H on it's side, then the horizontal part is thicker.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

I tried minitrix and roco joiners on mine and they were not a great fit

Proud member of the OAM
poliss

Post by poliss »

Ooops, I meant to say 'might fit', not will.
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

poliss wrote:Ooops, I meant to say 'might fit', not will.
No problem, I tried most brands as fleischmann rail joiners were nigh on impoossible to find for a while last year

A side note with Fleischmann track, it looks much better if you wash over the ballast with subtle brown wash

Proud member of the OAM
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Post by 0121modeller »

Not sure, but I think the "Gaugemaster" brand would be compatable to most continental makes of track, so maybe suited to fleicshmann pre ballasted base track ?
During my recent fling with N gauge, using code 80, mostly peco track (sectional & flexi), I had 3 brands of fishplate: Peco, Fleischmann & Gaugemaster.

The Gaugemaster brand of fishplates were sort of in-between profile of Peco & Fleischmann fishplates IMO.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
guinnesskid

Post by guinnesskid »

Thanks guys. Guess I'll be looking for fleischmann joiners then.

Don't know if it's N or HO but the bottom edge of the rail is a good bit wider than my usual Peco track.

Will try and post a picture of my "inheritance" because I think they are all continental and I havn't got a clue. I do believe he mentioned an ICE, that is probably the white one?
I'm thinking of becoming an alcoholic - It's cheaper than N gauging and not quite as taxing on my brain.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

If the track gauge is the same as your OO, then it is HO gauge. Smaller, and it is N, 9mm track gauge. Fleischmann N gauge is often branded 'Piccolo' if memory serves.

The 'white one' is indeed likely to be the ICE, a streamlined high speed train set.