Not a layout - but railway modelling

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Not a layout - but railway modelling

Post by Dad-1 »

Railway modelling is not always about just running trains, it's creating a railway related scene. For anyone with no space this is a possible option and a place where locos and rolling stock can be photographed.
This is a 1 yard long track laid on a 1 metre embankment with multi connections at one end to allow use as a DCC programming track. It will end up as a present to a newly formed DCC club in my local area.

Looking down the trackbed where a siding has been left in place after removal of the branch line that used to run alongside.

I've just started adding the embankment vegetation, this is about 10% of what needs doing

In the middle I have a small stream running under the embankment. This has railings made from soldered pieces of paperclip.

Practice on small sections like this allows one to hone the various modelling skills at a low price, this will have cost no more than £20 when finished.
I will admit that cost is due to already having many varous scatters and ballast materials.

Geoff T.
cmeonthemove

Re: Not a layout - but railway modelling

Post by cmeonthemove »

This is a very neat little diorama coming on. I also find that scenes like this are a good way of storing unused trains but still telling a story of some kind, rather than simply putting them in a box or one of those display cabinets.

I did a diorama in 00 for a truck modelling magazine and just happened to be able to incorporate a Deltic which looked like this:--

Image No Longer Available ...... Member also (Moderator Comment following PB demise)
dougalmac2

Post by dougalmac2 »

Really impressed with that Geoff. Its a solution after m own heart. I'm looking forward to the other 90%.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi cmeonthemove,

A super micro there, these make great places to photograph or keep items, better than hidden away in a cupboard.
I can almost hear the pulsing noise from that dual carriageway....... with the Deltic as a bonus !!
dougalmac2, pleased to see another who appreciates the modelling value of micro Diorama/layout. Not that I wouldn't want a 20 x 16 quality shed, but at least this can be finished in weeks rather than years !

I bought the cut to spec MDF on 13th and while I've done more embankment after the G.P the finish will be some way off as we're off to Dorset to see my son this coming week.

Geoff T.
Stewart Gethin

Post by Stewart Gethin »

Both of you very nice micro's there. perhaps in the future i will get round to doing one, they are great if you want to pay attention to detail, or just want to test out a number of different techniques. Good work.

Stew
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Thanks Stewart,

If it get's just one modeller having a crack at a 'micro' it'll have been worthwhile.

Well, back after almost a week in Dorset. Having got back late yesterday afternoon not much has been done, but today I added the coping stones to the wing walls and painted dark grey. Each one is a small individual piece of plasticard, slow, but I like the look of it. There will be a slight dirtying with a greeny brown gunge when fully dry, following which I can finish the vegetation on the embankment.
Tried a photo from low down to use natural surroundings as the background. Quite pleased with the result.

Geoff T.
Stewart Gethin

Post by Stewart Gethin »

I like those coping stones, very effective. im currently in the proses of making one MICRO, (note the emphasis on micro) to take photo's of my newly weathered stuff on etc, but also to test out scatters, gluing techniques etc for when i put it on my layout.

Thanks, Stew
b308

Post by b308 »

What you are describing aren't micro layouts, but dioramas... an idea dating back to the beginning of model railways... There have been several really talented modellers done them before, but my personal favourites are by Jack Nelson and at the Conwy Valley Museum... he even uses perspective to give an impression of depth, look at the top right-hand one... something for you to try in the future?!

http://www.conwyrailwaymuseum.co.uk/museum-photos.html
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Interesting thought b308 .....

I always thought of a diorama as something that dosen't operate ?
This is a DCC programming track and can easily have 3 live locomotives that move with sound working and while I don't consider it a layout in the broadest sense I think it can be called a Micro because it will and can operate 'live' motive power.
So exactly what is your definition of a Micro ?

Some fantastic false perspective built into those dioramas ...... which to me would become a Micro if the railway was live and moved. I fear the skills there would I think be beyond me, particularly my patience !!

Geoff T.
b308

Post by b308 »

My understanding (though I could be wrong!) is that a diorama can have some working parts, though very limited... such as moving up and down a piece of track or, say, a working waterfall... a Micro layout I tend to feel has a little more scope for operation... such as those shelf layouts... and a diorama tends to be aimed at realism rather than trying to squeeze a lot into a very small space... looking at how you've done yours and the realism obtained thats why I thought diorama rather than micro!

But as you say, its open to interpretation!
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi b308,

Yes it's very difficult to work out where one discription ends and the next one begins - why do we always have to try to pigeonhole everything so exactly ? (just think about all the 'names' given to various forms of music !!)
That's why I chose the heading I did ...... because it's not really a layout with one length of straight track, but it sure is railway modelling. Diorama or Micro it's quite fun and has the advantage of rapid build ...... well almost rapid ?

Geoff T.
b308

Post by b308 »

Its the realism I like in dioramas, much more so than Micros which tend to bore me... hence my pigeon-holing...

It was a complement! :wink:
jack richards

Post by jack richards »

Whatever they are called they are a great stress free way to model and we have some superb examples here, thanks for the postings.

I built a single track railway which was termed "A working diorama" after a long illness and it really helped me recover.

My layouts now are more interesting but can be demanding particularly when I go to a show with one. It seems more like work than a hobby sometimes.

Perhaps I should do another diorama.

Jack
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi b308,

Sorry if it sounded like I was criticising your comment - It was a very valid point, and I just don't know where one ends and the next begins, which is why I asked for your definition. cmeonthemove did call his a diorama, so let's forget the actual discriptions and thanks for the interest.
As Jack Richards says they are small enough to work on easily indoors on the kitchen table, fairly quick to finish, but still need a fair amount of thought as to what/where/how ? From my own point of view they are the ideal place to try out ideas, places to be adventurous and experiment with minimum of cost and zero recriminations if it all goes wrong.
I think (certainly for me) that the fear of getting it 'wrong' can stop you even trying, my current mental battle is to begin to try making a wire loom tree, because most commercial trees are far too small and for hand built ones too expensive!
Back outdoors to continue with the embankment vegetation, I can be messy doing that !! - want to finish this by next week.

Geoff T.
b308

Post by b308 »

Just put some paper down on the floor, Geoff!

It didn't sound critical, and as you say its a grey area... as in the question "how big does a layout have to be before it stops being a "micro" layout?" Could keep some people going for years, that one! :mrgreen:

Good luck with the trees, btw, I chickenned out of them years ago (too boring for me!) and now buy those cheap ones from China... with some added flock they tend to be acceptable!