Road Surfaces

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
AJC

Road Surfaces

Post by AJC »

Hi,
For some time I've been wondering what the best road surface for my layout would be. It's a modern layout, and I am unsure whether to use paint, metcalfe card, or something else, Any suggestions?

thanks,
Alex
Bufferstop

Re: Road Surfaces

Post by Bufferstop »

Take a look at some real world road surfaces (or even some photos). I wanted a well worn look to match the road over a bridge. I ended up using a part worn finishing sheet from my orbital sander. Colour was a good match, and it had the right degree of randomness.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
kiwitram

Post by kiwitram »

What about Wet & Dry paper; it has a rough texture, is grey, durable and to make it look weathered all you have to do is het a sharpie and draw random lines on it. :D
AJC

Post by AJC »

Thanks very much, but does anyone know how the javis tarmac roll looks like - is it realistic, or just a rough job?

thanks,
Alex
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

kiwitram wrote:What about Wet & Dry paper; it has a rough texture, is grey, durable and to make it look weathered all you have to do is het a sharpie and draw random lines on it. :D
I've been looking at road surfaces a lot recently - and the majority of them aren't actually 'textured' :shock: (I mean roads with tarmac, not country lanes or similar).

I know where you're coming from kiwitram - because they look textured - but it's an illusion. Most roads are stones mixed into tar and then leveled (well, slightly cambered so the rain runs to the drains)... so it's that mix which gives them a textured 'look'.

And now you make me think of it I've got the perfect solution.

Take ballast, mix it with plaster (which has a proportion of back paint in it so it's mid to dark grey), make your road, then sand it back to a smooth, cambered finish. Hey-presto! perfect road surface :)

Damn, I wish I'd thought of this a few weeks back as I've just finished my main road and now it won't satisfy me having thought of a better way to do it! Than again, I know how to do it better next time.

Obvious other solutions are the numerous 'out-of-the-box' pre-printed road surfaces in card or foam or plastic. Or just lay any old card card and paint it grey.
hobby boy

Post by hobby boy »

what about the scalescenes roads??? that way you can have as many as you want.

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15
Flakmunky

Post by Flakmunky »

hobby boy wrote:what about the scalescenes roads??? that way you can have as many as you want.
The joints you would get puts me off SS... Unless you have any tips?!
AJC

Post by AJC »

what about the scalescenes roads??? that way you can have as many as you want.

I've already got some of them thanks, but I'm not sure whether its my laser printer, but they seem to be too shiny, and don't look very authentic, but thanks anyway :)
mistered

Post by mistered »

An australian firm makes a spreadable roadbase called Simply Roadbase.

You trowel it on with a palette knife to 1mm thick.

Dont know if its sold outside Oz, check their website http://www.simplyglues.com.au/

cheers, mistered
Si_Donal

Post by Si_Donal »

I'd definately go with the fine grade wet and dry paper, painted with cheap domestic wall paint. I like a shade called moonstone. It can be weathered with pencil lead ground up and rubbed along the route of the road with a wet finger.
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

Sandpaper, emery cloth, and wet & dry all just look like exactly what they are and are not a good representation of road surfaces. IMO you can't beat cardboard; the plain grey type with a little surface relief (and with packing underneath down the middle to form a camber) carefully painted with various acrylic greys and weathered with a 2B pencil to replicate tyre and exhaust staines.

G.
Julia

Post by Julia »

Grahame wrote:Sandpaper, emery cloth, and wet & dry all just look like exactly what they are and are not a good representation of road surfaces. IMO you can't beat cardboard; the plain grey type with a little surface relief (and with packing underneath down the middle to form a camber) carefully painted with various acrylic greys and weathered with a 2B pencil to replicate tyre and exhaust staines.

G.
Do you have a photo of the finished result? I am trying to work out the best way of doing a little used country lane for my layout, and the method above sounds like it might have the best simple/effective balance.

J
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

Julia wrote:Do you have a photo of the finished result? I am trying to work out the best way of doing a little used country lane for my layout, and the method above sounds like it might have the best simple/effective balance. J

Hmm, it's not exactly a country lane :wink:

SLD pic16 x.jpg
SLD pic16 x.jpg (62.85 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
G.
ngresley

Post by ngresley »

Flakmunky wrote:
hobby boy wrote:what about the scalescenes roads??? that way you can have as many as you want.
The joints you would get puts me off SS... Unless you have any tips?!
But surely you also have joints using sandpaper?
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

ngresley wrote:But surely you also have joints using sandpaper?
Ah! but even in 00 a sheet of sandpaper will more than cover the length of a UK road, that you will find before coming to a patched pothole, a reinstatement scar, a repaired failed surface joint or a bit of official surface graffiti intended to inform the poor road user of something that is quite obvious! :D
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions