Help Needed, Lima GWR Small Prairie Parts

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
jus

Help Needed, Lima GWR Small Prairie Parts

Post by jus »

Hi all.

Picked up an old Lima small Prairie 2-6-2, and after about 6 months one of the toothed gears leading to the drive has sheared a couple of teeth. Any ideas where I can pick up a replacement, or somehow make a replacement if new parts can't be found. The effected part is 10mm in diameter, and appears to have 19 teeth in a full set. Would be willing to accept any ideas, as it's one of my fav locos, and i can't afford the £55 for a new one from Bachman.
Anything we learn today, may be unlearned tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my layout pages SYVR
NickB

Re: Help Needed, Lima GWR Small Prairie Parts

Post by NickB »

Im not sure how far you'll get mate but i'd give East Kent Models a try, if they cant supply a lima one they may be able to supply an alternative. Their number is 01227 770777.
bobby55016

Post by bobby55016 »

buy another one perhaps with a damaged body and use it as a source of spares
Bobby Hill
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Take a long and careful look at the teeth on the gear that meshes with the gear that has lost teeth, because they may well be worn or damaged also. Gear teeth don't just fall off, they break due to the action of other gear teeth. What you want to know is why this has happened, and the most likely cause is that one or both of the gears have enough wear to their tooth profiles, or slack on their shafts, or even a bit of both, to come at least partially out of mesh. What you do in this situation is replace both gears if at all possible, with the least worn second hand parts you can find.

Regarding finding spares, do you have any good traditional model railway shops near you? They may not sell spares directly as a business, but most have accumulated lots of parts to enable them to fix as many as possible of the items customers bring in.
hobby boy

Post by hobby boy »

new railway modellers do spare parts like gears, motors, buffers, etc. Try them if you can't get them locally. Website NRM Shop spares

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15
son of triangman

Post by son of triangman »

If anyone has a set of cylinders for a new Hornby 61xx class let me know as Hornby haven't got them, EKM and Abigales don't have any either. I have a six month old 61xx looking for cylinders.
jus

Post by jus »

Thanks for all the help guys. Tried lots of places for my 45xx gears, but to no avail. ended up getting a running chassis from the dreaded e-bay, which should arrive over the next few days.
Anything we learn today, may be unlearned tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my layout pages SYVR