New Hornby Project - OO Progressing well

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
matt1471

New Hornby Project - OO Progressing well

Post by matt1471 »

Just spent £167 on the Hornby Flying Scotmans Starter set and Track Pack C!

As well as the slow progressing Smarts Heath Junction N Gauge DCC layout, I am going to work on building the current HORNBY track mat layout for collect-ability and the distant future.

I will update pictures and opinions soon!!
Last edited by matt1471 on Sat May 15, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
matt1471

Re: New Hornby Project

Post by matt1471 »

Annoyingly my package didnt arrive today...I am assured it will be with me tomorrow!! So fingers crossed. In the mean time, I have come up with this layout idea. Its small at 2mx1m and will be a good starter for me.

It will be made from sections so it is 'Modualar' and extra straights and curves can be added as space allows!!

Loco's will consist of Hornby LNER 'Flying Scotmans' and a Hornby Class Q1 in BR Livery at this time.

Views welcome please!
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Still awaiting delivery of my starter set!! Useless delivery companies!
in the mean time I have come up with another couple of ideas outside of my original thoughts of the trackmat.

Looking to be a DC layout so any suggestions/obvious problems would be greatly appreciated!

Option 1

Option 2
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Option 3
Dale_the_noob

Post by Dale_the_noob »

Option 2 allows 2 trains to run at the same time. You could leave 1 running and play with the other one.
hobby boy

Post by hobby boy »

i like option 2 as well as two trains running are better then one running! :D

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Starter set finally arrived today so very happy right now!! Option 2 does make sense due to the 2 train operation!! I want to try nd include an upper scene as well much like this one http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 87&start=0 as I think it looks fantastic not only due to the detail, but also the concept.

Seeing a friend tomorrow who has lots of OO stuff so hopefully I will be able to start my collection and build the layout sooner than I think!! Will keep you posted!
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Now that my set has arrived I realised that I had used the wrong outside radius on my plans. Doesnt make a huge difference to things, only that I gotta find another 10cm of space from somewhere!!

I have tweaked Option 2 HOPEFULLY for the last time now and have come up with this!

I think this allows for a loco to run between sidings easily whilst another loco runs around the outside loop and can easily crossover into the inside loop and back out without to many problems!

Now to figure out how to wire it all up!!
Jack Middleton

Post by Jack Middleton »

One thing I would change:

I would switch the top two cross overs round to allow for larger sidings below them.
hobby boy

Post by hobby boy »

That new track plan is quite a good one. My track plan used to be like that and it was quite fun to play with. for the wiring, put the power clips on the curves on the left.

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Jack Middleton wrote:One thing I would change:

I would switch the top two cross overs round to allow for larger sidings below them.
I see your point and I think I had originally done that on a previous plan (i believe the first Option 2), however my thoughts were that keeping the crossover were it is allows for a 'run around' from the siding by keeping the stock on the inner loop.
Michael Thornberry

Post by Michael Thornberry »

Hello Matt,
Your proposed Track-Plan is looking good. Plenty of scope for Engine/Train running with good space for scenics,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
D2850

Post by D2850 »

Looks like a good plan.

I would suggest you flip the sidings and crossover on the bottom over so that an engine on the inner circuit running anti-clockwise can shunt both sets of sidings. (You could change the tops sets, but that would force you to run trains on the right rather than the left). It will also separate the two sets of sidings, so you can model them differently.

On the 'run-around' at the top: I'm not sure it'll be worth it. With the space you've got you'll only get 2-3 wagons at most in there, so you may just prefer the extra siding space. You could replace the left crossover with curved points on the bend, which would get you a bigger loop and bigger sidings, but it's up to you.
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Hi D2850, thanks for your advice. I'm afraid I'm completely lost as to what you mean? Any chance you could provide a pic??

Built my base board today and had the basic loop out with everything up and running!! :-) Will post up some pics later
D2850

Post by D2850 »

Sorry about the quality, but this should show the basics.

The Green section shows the changes to the bottom half. By doing this, you have to reverse in order to move between sidings, but an engine on the inside loop can get it's train into any siding without trapping itself or disrupting the other line.

The red shows the curved point. It would give you a bigger loop and increase the length of the upper sidings at the same time.

The crossover marked in blue is one that is technically the wrong way round - crossovers on a main line were placed so that a train had to reverse over it, to prevent trains being accidentally diverted over them and crashing. If you don't have a problem with it then you don't have to change it (and if you want to run round it may be difficult to isolate the engine on the outer loop, so it may be simpler to leave it) but I thought I'd point it out. The other option would be to change this one and install the curved set in the other direction to that shown here, which would give you a loop for both lines.
Humour is subjective, so please supply your own witty statement.