Oxford model shop

What do you want from a model railway shop?
bsa77

Oxford model shop

Post by bsa77 »

I'm being dragged to a family birthday in Oxford on Saturday and think I can take advantage of the number of people by slipping out for a while, so does anyone have recommendations for a model shop in the centre of Oxford that does N gauge stuff?
davek

Re: Oxford model shop

Post by davek »

Howes of Oxford is the only shop I can think of.
keef777

Post by keef777 »

Depending on whereabouts in Oxford you are, there is also Model-World at Headington. Although their website looks to be completely Wrenn, their advert in the latest Hornby mag says that they stock, among others, Graham Farish, Freestone, Dapol etc.

I've never been there so I don't know what their stock or range is like, but you could always phone them first on 01865 766215.

Good luck
Keith
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

Cheers chaps - was hoping to walk rather than move the car (once parked in Oxford centre I find it best to leave the car there until time to go home!).

I am going to pretty much as central as you can be, on the thames, 10 mins walk from the station (not being awkward, can't remember the road!).
Mighty

Post by Mighty »

You can get a number 2 bus from the centre of Oxford (by the Martyrs memorial) that will take you up to Kidlington where Howes is, and should take about 20 mins or so. Headington is a bit further out to the east, and you'd need a different bus the number of which I'm uncertain of.

Howes is well worth the visit, and has a good range of stock of both 00 and N, including a wide range of Wills/Ratio kits and other unusual odds and ends, tools etc. I've spent several hours there over the last year or two on visits to Oxford. Go if you can!
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=20737
EddScott

Post by EddScott »

Howes used to be in the centre but as mentioned is now in Kidlington. I grew up close by in Witney and would spend hours in the old shop however, at the time I would mostly walk past the trains to the RC cars at the back.

Happy days :D
David_S.

Post by David_S. »

I think that Howes don't do any N gauge, so your journey to Kidlington might be wasted. Not sure if the shop at Headington does N, but their stock is a lot better than their adverts or website suggests. They are also closer to the city centre, no more than 10 mins by bus when I last went there over Christmas.

David S. in Finland, but back in Oxfordshire next week!