Tunnels/Removable scenery

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Hulldude15

Tunnels/Removable scenery

Post by Hulldude15 »

Hi,

As part of my model railway I will have a bit of the track under a hill (roughly 70cm). Should I make this removable or fixed in place. I will use chicken wire and mod-rock for the base and it would be so much easier to keep it fixed. What are the best way of making it removable? Here is a diagram showing what I want to achieve, (there will be another track running under the hill on the left.

outcastjack

Re: Tunnels/Removable scenery

Post by outcastjack »

make a frame for the removable bit out of wood so it can withstand being moved often with no damage
Above all its a Rover.

http://www.pendonmuseum.com
or visit my layout.
or my other models.
John Geeeee

Post by John Geeeee »

If it was me, I would try to make the front retaining wall removable and create a frame to support the top landscape which is permantly in place.
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

I agree - definitely make it robust and removable.

Make some sort of frame around the lower level that the upper level can sit on rather like a shelf.
Two horizontal sections of wood running parallel to the lower tracks would do it - and a bit of hardboard or plywood as a base for the upper level :)
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

I would go for a foam substructure rather than chicken wire if you have the clearance for it, chicken wire can become deformed very easily when handled and a plaster cast over the top can become damaged as a result. Foam will be lighter in weight and so easier to handle. It also keeps its shape when handled, so any scenic material applied over it stands a better chance of withstanding any handling. It may still need some sort of frame or reinforcement to keep it sturdy, but a sheet of thin ply on the flat underside would do the trick there and not increase the weight too much. Hiding the edges wouldn't be too hard either, you could overlap the gap slightly with hanging basket liner, lichen or other similar soft scenic materials.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
bigbob

Post by bigbob »

SouthernBoy wrote:I agree - definitely make it robust and removable.

Make some sort of frame around the lower level that the upper level can sit on rather like a shelf.
Two horizontal sections of wood running parallel to the lower tracks would do it - and a bit of hardboard or plywood as a base for the upper level :)
Thats the way i`d do it, or like this, or supports each side of the track.
1.JPG
1.JPG (22.83 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Yes, and another bit of wood to the right of the track marked 'raised track'.
If that's a support you've drawn between the two lower track - well I don't think you'd need that.

Good luck :)