First layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Leodensian

First layout

Post by Leodensian »

Hi there,

I have finally registered with the board after lurking for months. I have also finally designed a layout that I am happy with. Hopefully when complete it will be a modern image EWS maintenance siding/depot with two mainlines running past. I have attached the layout design and would be very grateful for any comments/suggestions.

Thank you,
Attachments
Mylayout.JPG
Mylayout.JPG (29.29 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
ElDavo

Re: First layout

Post by ElDavo »

Welcome to forum posting. :) Looks like a good start on the layout plan. A couple of things that might cause you a problem. The track spacing on the sidings to the left looks a little small and I think this might be fooling you into thinking you have more space than is actually available. In a small space it may be that with the correct spacing there will be little room to store anything in those sidings. Maybe take one out and see if it helps. Are they for locos or other stock?

On a related tack, the headshunt on the right that leads to those sidings is rather short. What do you anticipate will use it? If it's for a loco then bear in mind that something like a 66 is around 30cm long and it doesn't look as though you will get one in that space. You would need a similar space to get an 08 and a medium sized wagon like a seacow in as well. For modern image many of the wagons are quite long.

Cheers
Dave
Leodensian

Post by Leodensian »

Thanks for the input Dave. I have taken these suggestions into consideration and extended the headshunt and taken out one of the lanes in the left hand siding (see attached pic) Hopefully this should provide better clearance and provide a more workable layout.

Thanks again,
Attachments
My layout.JPG
My layout.JPG (31.21 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
Leodensian

Post by Leodensian »

OK then,

I've had a bit of a re-think about the layout. I was never too happy about what I had designed, and as such I have decided to change the plan. I've now designed something that looks pretty similar to 'Atlas Street' that appeared in MR no. 123(to be fair it's more or less a complete rip off!). I've posted a pic of the plan below which I have changed slightly from 'Atlas street', as my layout now has two lines leading into the engine shed rather than one (not much of a change admittedly, but it might stop me getting sued for copyright theft or such like) :D.

I have also started building the layout now as you can see from the pictures. Therefore would it be possible to request that one of the moderators move the layout into the 'Personal layouts - building' thread please.
Attachments
mylayout.JPG
mylayout.JPG (20.96 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
DSC00875 [].JPG
DSC00875 [].JPG (92.02 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
trains!

Post by trains! »

I'm guessing your going industrial scene, like 'atlas street' did :D .
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:
Leodensian

Post by Leodensian »

Probably will do something along those lines. However, I think it will be stricky modern era, i.e. no running of preserved steam trains.
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

Good start, but your work area is far too tidy!
Leodensian

Post by Leodensian »

Lol. Prepare for it to get a whole lot messier. I've just realised that I have stupidly forgotton to put insulated rail joiners in the rails leading away from the frog on the large point. I've already glued down the straight piece of track that connects to the point. As such I would really appreciate some advice on how to take the track up with making a complete balls up!!!!

Thanks,

Mark
Leodensian

Post by Leodensian »

Sorry should also add that the point is also already glued in place.
leopard

Post by leopard »

forget lifting it and just cut the rail?
Leodensian

Post by Leodensian »

I thought about doing that but wasn't sure it would work. I'll give it a try though.

Cheers,